Letters to the editor section and religious views

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: letters to the editor section and religous views

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:So it is okay for those religious organizations to do that to their children??? You are fine with that? "Jesus Camp" is a good thing?

See what I mean by "getting bent out of shape"? When did I say anything about Jesus Camp and being ok with diddling little kids? I didn't, all I said that some people believe in Jesus, some people believe in Hare Krishna. Personally, I'm ok with that. I'm even ok with people trying to spread their believes - after all it's only natural. If you don't like Jesus, fine, don't go to church, nobody is forcing you.

If barely mentioning Jesus makes you believe that I'm of those dangerous people who whip children into praying at the gunpoint, well then you're no better than Bible Thumpers International who want to crucify anybody who is against Jesus-mania.

I'm not too sure where to start with this one. The OT was the letters to the editor. It evolved into the brainwashing of our children. That evolved into the extreme end of the brainwashing with the Jesus Camp documentary and I never mentioned the diddling, I don't think, but then again, it is so much a part of what is wrong with religions and how the followers of these religions tend to overlook or disbelieve the bad that I suppose it must also play a part in the conversation.

So perhaps you would give your opinion about if you would be okay with extreme religious factions attempting to sway one of your offspring into devout following of their brand of whatever religion they adhered to?

It wasn't so much your mentioning Jesus, it was that you appeared to not have concerns about the religions trying to bend young minds by whatever means and appearing to think that was an acceptable practice. You jumped in a completely different direction from my post that was based on my own personal experiences. I called them dangerous - you called me bent out of shape. Would you not get bent out of shape if that happened in your family?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
don_pepe

Re: Letters to the editor section and religious views

Post by don_pepe »

rookie314 wrote:
Destroy all others who do not follow "the true message of Christ our saviour".

Show me in the Bible where it states that this is the message of Christ. Just as a side note, more people have been killed for land and greed that ever by any religious sect. See WW1 and WW2 both racist wars of territory.

Luke 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Jesus is clearly telling Christians to kill non believers.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:I called them dangerous - you called me bent out of shape. Would you not get bent out of shape if that happened in your family?

Who says it didn't, Gramma? My cousin's family do belong to a religious cult and been involved with them for years. Not trying to say that I'm tight with them, but I didn't distance myself from them, them seem to be pretty happy, and that's all that matters too me. Trust me, it doesn't make me want to crucify people knocking on my door for trying to spread their views.

Now, people who rape other people, steal from them, kill them, rob them, murder, make seriously disturbing sock puppets, sell drugs to kids, curse when kids are around, and pay with a debit card for a pack of gum - THOSE are the people I'd want to introduce to my aluminum baseball bat. People who casually ask me "Do you know who Jesus is?" is somewhat low on my priority list and I do have an answer for them - "Yes, it's a made up guy who died for our sins and now we celebrate his resurrection by telling kids to look for chocolate eggs that a giant bunny rabbit hid for them."

But hey, it's me. If you want to wage a war against Christians, be my guest. But like I said, and I'll say it again - there are worse things in life, and I see no reason to get bent out of shape.

PS: Jesus Camp is sooo 2006. What, you just watched it?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
If you want to wage a war against Christians, be my guest. But like I said, and I'll say it again - there are worse things in life, and I see no reason to get bent out of shape.

PS: Jesus Camp is sooo 2006. What, you just watched it?

Yeah, disturbing, I know. I am disgusted at myself for not knowing about it sooner. I've missed out on 4 years of letting people know such horrific extreme child abuse by the kids' own parents is not just happening in lands far away - it is here in our own back yards.

It's not just Christians, CA - it's all religions.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, good luck with your war then.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - thanks, CA. Chain your kids to your belt, okay?

CanuckinOZ
Fledgling

Post by CanuckinOZ »

this is hilarious, its like saying a phrase in a circle of 30 people, by the time it comes back around its completely different, what are all of you going on about, wars between religions, people molesting children, what?!

I'm just going to have to quote new in town

Funniest thing I read in a while, I thank you.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

What is your perception of Hitler against Jews? Racist or religious hatred

It all depends, do you consider Jews a race or a religion? Hitler against the Jews wasn't the only issue being dealt with in WW11. Not to belittle the Holocaust but the number of Jews killed in the conflict pale in comparison to the number of Soviets and Chinese killed. (Chinese and Soviet deaths account for 43 million of the estimated 50 to 70 million killed) Was Hitlers invasion of the Soviet Union based on religion? No. The Japanese transgressions against the Chinese was based on race not religion. Japan against the Americans was about race. What were the Italians in on the action for. Power and conquest. Other than the crusades, which had very little in the way of loss of life, religion has had little in the way of major conflicts. Some have gone to war under the cloak of religion but there motives have very little in the way of being religious. I can bet that Jesus, Mohamed, Budda et al are sitting around somewhere asking, "I didn't tell them to go out and kill everyone, did you? None of them did.
CanuckinOZ
Fledgling

Post by CanuckinOZ »

wow thank you for copying what you wrote in an essay you wrote in grade 9 social studies, thank you for wasting 5 minutes of my life
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

CanuckinOZ wrote:wow thank you for copying what you wrote in an essay you wrote in grade 9 social studies, thank you for wasting 5 minutes of my life

Was this comment necessary? And if it took you five minutes to read I'd say your reading level is well below the grade 9 level you so sarcastically commented on.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

wow thank you for copying what you wrote in an essay you wrote in grade 9 social studies, thank you for wasting 5 minutes of my life

I never pointed a gun at your head and told you to read it. Also by your reply I think you don't have much of a life.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

rookie314 wrote:
What is your perception of Hitler against Jews? Racist or religious hatred

It all depends, do you consider Jews a race or a religion? Hitler against the Jews wasn't the only issue being dealt with in WW11. Not to belittle the Holocaust but the number of Jews killed in the conflict pale in comparison to the number of Soviets and Chinese killed. (Chinese and Soviet deaths account for 43 million of the estimated 50 to 70 million killed) Was Hitlers invasion of the Soviet Union based on religion? No. The Japanese transgressions against the Chinese was based on race not religion. Japan against the Americans was about race. What were the Italians in on the action for. Power and conquest. Other than the crusades, which had very little in the way of loss of life, religion has had little in the way of major conflicts. Some have gone to war under the cloak of religion but there motives have very little in the way of being religious. I can bet that Jesus, Mohamed, Budda et al are sitting around somewhere asking, "I didn't tell them to go out and kill everyone, did you? None of them did.

Considering that I asked for YOUR perception of jews as a race or a religion, nice fob-off.

I don't really think your argument holds much water - it is impossible to ignore the fact that religion vs religion has resulted in the demise of a lot of people. Adding other wars into it does not make it go away.

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Grammafreddy, while I appreciate that your libertarian perspective adds good insite to these forums, I am a bit confused at how your perspective towards religion is so anti-libertarian. The impression your posts leave is that you think all religions should be banned or suppressed because of a few bad apples. Why through the baby out with the bathwater?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

coffeeFreak wrote:Was this comment necessary? And if it took you five minutes to read I'd say your reading level is well below the grade 9 level you so sarcastically commented on.

You have to understand that the guy loves to exaggerate.

The premise set out by the OP is that religious views should not be expressed in the public domain (ie the letters to the editor). He then goes onto state a bunch of exaggerations and half-truths to back up his assertion.

Given the lack of fliers in my mailbox, I highly doubt the OP regularly gets religious pamphlets in the mail, and I know for a fact he doesn't have JWs visiting him at 8:30 a.m. since they never even meet up to door-to-door before 9:30.

Then he goes onto the "sitting around every week praying for bad things to happen to "sinful" events? " Fortunately, the vast majority of Christians do not believe anyone should pray like that. Also, it is a foolish and dangerous assumption that the religious have the "hoping or praying bad on others" pegged to themselves.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

I don't really think your argument holds much water - it is impossible to ignore the fact that religion vs religion has resulted in the demise of a lot of people. Adding other wars into it does not make it go away.

So prove me wrong. Post some information or links to support your claim.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”