Draw Mohammed Day

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
don_pepe

Draw Mohammed Day

Post by don_pepe »

Support free speech on May 20.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Re: Draw Mohammed Day

Post by Homeownertoo »

I do every time I post.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
don_pepe

Post by don_pepe »

The Kelowna Atheists and Freethinkers are planning to draw Mohammed with sidewalk chalk in City Park 7 pm on May 20. Everyone who supports free speech is welcome.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

don_pepe wrote:The Kelowna Atheists and Freethinkers are planning to draw Mohammed with sidewalk chalk in City Park 7 pm on May 20. Everyone who supports free speech is welcome.

Great! Another group of "cultists" ... love the name of the cult, though. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Somehow, I doubt a real free thinking person would be into joining a cult. But, hey, that's just me ...

Your "event" might make an interesting riot ....

Next week maybe you could consider something anti-Christ or anti-Buddha, or anti-Allah? Equal billing, you know ...???
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

I think you missed the point this time, granny.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Fail to see a point of it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:Fail to see a point of it.

The point is to tick people off. Its a free country where you can do that. Not for me, but to each their own, I guess.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I'll go to City Park on the 20th and take pictures of everyone with sidewalk chalk.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Why would athiests draw pictures of Mohammad?! That seems almost as unrelated to them drawing pictures of Jesus...What is the point? To push Christian's buttons? To further the cause of Islam? Will it challenge individuals to expand their perspective? Will it enourage open-minds?

Seems to me the approach is pointless.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Fail to see a point of it.

The point is to tick people off. Its a free country where you can do that. Not for me, but to each their own, I guess.

Well, that's what I thought. Sure, protest violent threats and so on.

The only question is - what's the point of doing it in Kelowna which is the whitest city in Canada? To *bleep* off 5 Muslims that live here? Ok, may be one of them is a radical extremists that will take it as an insult or might look into changing his ways.

Now, if you do it in London, UK this whole thing might have some point. But in Kelowna it's an equivalent of protesting baby seal murder in Tibet. Nobody really gives two flying penguins about it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

CA, it's a movement that started on Facebook. There are events occuring all over the place. It's not exclusive to Kelowna.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Someone will probably be killed because of this.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
don_pepe

Post by don_pepe »

One of my all time favorite movies is Blazing Saddles, Mel Brooks filled it with racial slurs and made the whole racial thing into a joke. This is kind of the same, Muslims take things way to seriously which is holding back progress in their countries. Instead of taking the George Bush approach and drop bombs on them I think the better way is to laugh about it.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Not really, don pepe, but you come closest. I'm truly surprised at how, after all this time, so many people remain clueless on this issue. It's really the same point I make with my icon and it has nothing to do with promoting religion, or atheism, or insulting anybody. It's about going where our cowed MSM fear to tread (a powerful statement in itself) and making a small statement in favour of free expression. There is no problem with muslims refraining from depicting Mohammed, as it would apparently be blasphemous for them to do so, but it is not so for non-muslims. I just don't think it's healthy for a supposedly liberal society to adopt, under threat of violence, the proscriptions of any religion, and particularly one mired in a medieval mindset. To do so empowers those medieval minds; to challenge those proscriptions undermines them and supports freedom of expression. Use it or lose it.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:Someone will probably be killed because of this.

That's the point of the whole thing. People have been killed, all because someone decided to draw a picture of someone else's silly prophet. The ridiculousness of it all is astounding....its pathetic really.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”