Draw Mohammed Day

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Draw Mohammed Day

Post by JLives »

There must have been lots of coverage today. The group is over 104,000 now.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

so Jenny did you go? I did landscaping, landscaping for Mohammed I guess
*off to water whilst doing a wicked Mohammed impression*
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I was thinking of drawing Mohamed today, but I felt that I need a large group of people to stand around me and call me a rebel for being so fearless by drawing something thousands and thousands miles away from where my actions would actually matter.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Captain Awesome wrote:I was thinking of drawing Mohamed today, but I felt that I need a large group of people to stand around me and call me a rebel for being so fearless by drawing something thousands and thousands miles away from where my actions would actually matter.

Image Is that you Mo?
Not afraid to say "It".
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

_ _
~
( - )

My contribution
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Islamic Depictions of Mohammed in Full

Medieval Muslim artists often created paintings and illuminated manuscripts depicting Mohammed in full. Several examples are presented here. Other artists of the era drew Mohammed, but left his face blank so as to technically comply with a sporadically enforced Islamic ban on depicting the Prophet; these faceless images are shown in the second section of the Archive.

In 1999, Islamic art expert Wijdan Ali wrote a scholarly overview of the Muslim tradition of depicting Mohammed, which can be downloaded here in pdf format. In that essay, Ali demonstrates that the prohibition against depicting Mohammed did not arise until as late as the 16th or 17th century, despite the media's recent false claims that it has always been forbidden for Muslims to draw Mohammed. Until comparatively recently in Islamic history, it was perfectly common to show Mohammed, either in full (as revealed on this page), or with his face hidden (as shown on the next page). Even after the 17th century, up to modern times, Islamic depictions of Mohammed (especially in Shi'ite areas) continued to be produced.

On this page are many examples of full-faced Mohammed portraits produced by Muslim artists across the centuries. Attributions for each image are given where known.

Illustration showing Mohammed (on the right) preaching his final sermon to his earliest converts, on Mount Ararat near Mecca; taken from a medieval-era manuscript of the astronomical treatise The Remaining Signs of Past Centuries by the Persian scholar al-Biruni; currently housed in the collection of the Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris (Manuscrits Arabe 1489 fol. 5v). This scene was popular among medieval Islamic artists, and several nearly identical versions of this drawing (such as this one [shown in detail below] and this one) were made in the Middle Ages.

These can be found at: http://zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/islamic_mo_full/
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

normaM wrote:so Jenny did you go? I did landscaping, landscaping for Mohammed I guess
*off to water whilst doing a wicked Mohammed impression*

I dug an outline of Mohammed in the dirt while gardening and reported my progress to passersby. You gotta represent!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

but Jenny, what happened to your convictions? I thought you'd be down at City Park with your chalk.. I am saddened
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

'Death to Facebook': Pakistani protesters angry as user sets up 'Everyone Draw Mohammed Day' group

"This is a war and we have to show unity," Farid Ahmed Paracha, a central leader of hardline Sunni Muslim political party Jamaat-e-Islami told the crowd.

"We should tell America that this the final match," he added.

Shouting anti America and anti Facebook slogans with chanting "Death to America," the participants burnt U.S., Norway, Sweden and Denmark flags.

Let's get it on.
Not afraid to say "It".
don_pepe

Post by don_pepe »

Flag burning could be considered freedom of speech. They just don't get it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

logicalview wrote:Shouting anti America and anti Facebook slogans with chanting "Death to America," the participants burnt U.S., Norway, Sweden and Denmark flags.

You mean after all that Mohammad-drawing in Kelowna, BC they still don't know about Canada and won't even burn our flag? What a shame!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Captain Awesome wrote:You mean after all that Mohammad-drawing in Kelowna, BC they still don't know about Canada and won't even burn our flag? What a shame!

Maybe we should draw them a picture.
Not afraid to say "It".
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

kinda makes you want to start a weekly draw Mohammed Day.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

ImagePakistani Muslims burn the effigy of Molly Norris, the American cartoonist who declared May 20th 'Everyone draw Mohammed day' on facebook

'Facebook for Muslims' launched in Pakistan after real thing is blocked over 'blasphemous' Prophet images - MillatFacebook helps you connect and share with more than 1.57 Billion Muslims and Sweet people from other Religions.

Join here...http://www.millatfacebook.com/
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”