Draw Mohammed Day

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
logicalview
Guru

Re: Draw Mohammed Day

Post by logicalview »

DHAKA, Bangladesh — Bangladesh has become the second South Asian nation after Pakistan to block the popular social networking website Facebook over a page that urged people to draw images of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad.

Male/Female User Growth - Facebook Bangladesh

Wow, guess the women aren't going to miss out on much, looks like the men control the computers.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Sorry Muslims.

LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) — A Pakistani court lifted a ban on Facebook on Monday after officials from the social networking site apologized for a page deemed offensive to Muslims and removed its contents, said a top information technology official.

The Lahore High Court imposed the ban almost two weeks ago amid anger over a page that encouraged users to post images of Islam's Prophet Muhammad. Many Muslims regard depictions of the prophet, even favorable ones, as blasphemous.

"In response to our protest, Facebook has tendered their apology and informed us that all the sacrilegious material has been removed from the URL," said Najibullah Malik, secretary of Pakistan's information technology ministry, referring to the technical term for a Web page.
Not afraid to say "It".
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
zzontar wrote:Someone will probably be killed because of this.

That's the point of the whole thing. People have been killed, all because someone decided to draw a picture of someone else's silly prophet. The ridiculousness of it all is astounding....its pathetic really.

Jesus is a silly prophet for the christians
bprettie

Post by bprettie »

Hey everybody. Good to see there's a little discussion going on. I'll pitch in too.

So the point of the event was to show that freedom of speech is an important value to us. When people are killed, or even threatened, for NOT following a religions rules that they don't even belong to, that is a threat to freedom of speech. It is bullying, and it has to be stood up to. The most effective way to stand up to bullies is to do exactly what pisses them off in large enough numbers that they can't push you around. For example the pink shirt day for school bullies.

I would argue that this event is no different.

It is unfortunate that we offend all the normal, happy Muslims along with the smaller portion that are dangerous and violent, but such is the world we live in. The images drawn of Mohammed in central park were (mostly) respectful, and even if they weren't, the issue at hand is that we have the right to do it WITHOUT fear of reprisal. There is no possible excuse for the actions of the small group of Muslims that are actively trying to produce this fear. People in this town are afraid of Muslims, they think they are boogey men that all carry knives and are capable of turning on anyone that disagrees with them. I can't understand that. I have known a few, although I doubt I could have a decent conversation with them now, and they have all been good people. But then I go online, and I read about the things that extremists do, of every religion, and it turns my stomach. I have looked at pictures of women who have had their faces melted by battery acid. I read articles about honour rape and honour murder. I look at the worst that this world has to offer and I am sick of it. If that makes me a lemming, then I will be the proudest damn lemming you ever met.

We need to make the good and proud Muslims ashamed of their insane bedfellows. The best opponent to extremists are their own people turning on them. If that message gets across to even a few Muslims in all this, then it was worth it.

As to being the wrong location for the protest, welcome to the global community. The earth is a small place now. Actions in Kelowna may reach ears in the Middle East. Actions in the Middle East certainly reach my ears.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

razzledazzle wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
zzontar wrote:Someone will probably be killed because of this.

That's the point of the whole thing. People have been killed, all because someone decided to draw a picture of someone else's silly prophet. The ridiculousness of it all is astounding....its pathetic really.

Jesus is a silly prophet for the christians

Why yes, yes he is. Do you have a point to make?
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Maybe he's Muslim. Perhaps he's raising a Jewish boy as a Hindu. Or he missed the draw day.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

I emailed CBC about Little Mosque on the Prairie's episode of the "supposed" inadvertent breaking the statue of Christ just a few months ago.

The producer's of the show comment on their blog, that "no Canadian's took offense".

I took offense, logged my name on and posted on their blog, which was never acknowledged.

My opinion was never posted on their blog.

Must also add, my e-mail to the VP of CBC did not receive a response either.

CBC tries to create verbatim. Great!

The Muslim producer of Little Mosque on the Prairie openly mocks Christian belief.

and CBC rolls right over.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

bprettie wrote:The most effective way to stand up to bullies is to do exactly what pisses them off in large enough numbers that they can't push you around. For example the pink shirt day for school bullies.

Actions in Kelowna may reach ears in the Middle East.

Hahahahha. I love delusional people.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Type_O wrote:I emailed CBC about Little Mosque on the Prairie's episode of the "supposed" inadvertent breaking the statue of Christ just a few months ago.

The producer's of the show comment on their blog, that "no Canadian's took offense".

I took offense, logged my name on and posted on their blog, which was never acknowledged.

My opinion was never posted on their blog.

Must also add, my e-mail to the VP of CBC did not receive a response either.

CBC tries to create verbatim. Great!

The Muslim producer of Little Mosque on the Prairie openly mocks Christian belief.

and CBC rolls right over.

Maybe you can get together with your fellow Christians and suicide bomb the CBC. That'll show them not to break a statue of Jebus.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Maybe you can get together with your fellow Christians and suicide bomb the CBC. That'll show them not to break a statue of Jebus.

That thought would never cross my mind.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Type_O wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

That thought would never cross my mind.

no do this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

how many died over this? 0 i think it is sick. i was raised a Lutheran. i believe. so? but i didn't call for beheading etc. i just pitied the fool that wants to mock another's belief. smart.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

ferri wrote:no do this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

how many died over this? 0 i think it is sick. i was raised a Lutheran. i believe. so? but i didn't call for beheading etc. i just pitied the fool that wants to mock another's belief. smart.

I agree ferri, it's really, really sad. I was baptized/raised an Anglican.

The laws of this country should stand, beyond paganism to patriotism.

I just don't think anyone is listening anymore.
SHOZDIJIJI
Board Meister

Post by SHOZDIJIJI »

What a stupid post . This has been all about insulting a religion and nothing about free speech . Pathetic . :sunshine:
After being asked if he would consider politic's the smart man replied " No the smart people have the Politicians working for them."
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Glad to hear free speech is alive and well.

Religion has always been up for grabs.

When someone threatens you, your family, your very existence and way of life, I care enough to say it. I certainly respect and appreciate those willing to speak out the same way.

But in the name of religion, to murder people? For drawing a likeness that wasn't (but supposedly) band in the 1700's? This religion allows the rules be modified as you go along????

This isn't religion, it's tribal and cult. Completely undemocratic without care for many hard won laws, especially when it comes to women and children,...there is too much at stake to give in to this mentality.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

SHOZDIJIJI wrote:What a stupid post . This has been all about insulting a religion and nothing about free speech . Pathetic . :sunshine:

that's not what they would say if you took them to court. it's 'freedom of expression'. :127:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”