Let God strike me down!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Re: Let God strike me down!

Post by quietlywatching84 »

I just laughed so hard milk came out my nose.

(don't worry, I was drinking milk, probably not an act of god).
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Asides from the fact that God expressly warned us about 'graven images' and idolatry, I've heard from inside sources that what angered him most was that His Son should have been depicted as walking on the water, and not sunk into the Ohian bog like a floundering wretch.

In a reply to the CNN-Religion blog, someone commented:

I'd like to propose that the statue that was destroyed be replaced with something non-denominational and less likely to be smote. Might I humbly suggest a statue of a huge manatee? That would be especially apropos for a statues sited in a large body of water I think. Everybody likes manatees, they are large placid animals that are pretty much content to eat vegetables and swim around. They never bother anyone and don't hold grudges even when they are run over by drunken fisherman in power boats. So I hope this suggestion will be taken under serious consideration, and remember – "Do Something Good For Huge Manatee".

Not a bad idea, methinks. Or, how about donating the projected rebuilding costs( >$750,000) to starving homosexuals in Africa?
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3209223.stm
Jesus actor struck by lightning Thursday, 23 October, 2003

Actor Jim Caviezel has been struck by lightning while playing Jesus in Mel Gibson's controversial film The Passion Of Christ.

The lightning bolt hit Caviezel and the film's assistant director Jan Michelini while they were filming in a remote location a few hours from Rome.

It was the second time Michelini had been hit by lightning during the shoot. ....

I'm beginning to think that there are fertile imaginings aplenty to start a conspiracy theory here!

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

:200: All I can say is, Jesus!
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Air Wrench »

quietlywatching84 wrote:I just laughed so hard milk came out my nose.

(don't worry, I was drinking milk, probably not an act of god).

If you were eating meat at the time, it may have been. :hailjo:
zzontar
Guru

Re: Let God strike me down!!

Post by zzontar »

Queen K wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
normaM wrote:$10 says they rebuild Jesus, stronger, bigger, faster

Paid for by the flock of sheep.
Imagine what humans could do if they would actually spend their money where it matters.

What? You mean like, food banks, gleaners clubs, affordable housing solutions, mobile medical teams, meals on wheels type programs for shut ins, job training for the down and out, soup kitchens?

When you can spend $250,000 on a statue instead? Are you nuts?

It's a mad, mad world QK... the sculptures by the bridge cost more than that... all paid for by the nutty sheep who call people nutty sheep.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I hope they build it out of something less flammable.
oh right, Danky the generous... same guy who jacks kids toys talking tsk
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:It's a mad, mad world QK... the sculptures by the bridge cost more than that... all paid for by the nutty sheep who call people nutty sheep.

In case you didn't know, paying your taxes is mandatory. Donating money to your megachurch so that you can build a silly statue isn't. See the difference?
And as far as my generosity goes, I feel no need to play the 'see, look how generous I am' game....it's kinda stupid if you ask me. But have fun. Whatever floats your boat, guys.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

you are correct.. it was a cheap shot. Just dislike being called a sheep. btw, Blank Reg didn't pay taxes and I am nearly there
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Sorry Norma, I didn't realize that you had paid into the 'Touchdown Jesus' statue. If you didn't, then my sheep comment does not apply to you...in this instance. :smt110
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/13355400/detail.html
May 2007.
GOLDEN, Colo. -- Lightning struck a well-loved Colorado landmark late Saturday.

Sister Bernadette Casciano told 7NEWS the Statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus at the Mother Cabrini Shrine was hit in the arms by lightning. She said the strike knocked off the statue's right open palm, damaged its left arm, shattered its feet and caused significant damage to the base.

"We are grateful that no one was hurt. We have begun to research how we might restore the arms and bring this prominent landmark back to its original beauty," said Casciano. ...
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
zzontar wrote:It's a mad, mad world QK... the sculptures by the bridge cost more than that... all paid for by the nutty sheep who call people nutty sheep.

In case you didn't know, paying your taxes is mandatory. Donating money to your megachurch so that you can build a silly statue isn't. See the difference?
And as far as my generosity goes, I feel no need to play the 'see, look how generous I am' game....it's kinda stupid if you ask me. But have fun. Whatever floats your boat, guys.

Having no choice but to pitch in for a statue doesn't make one less a sheep than an organization that agrees to pitch in for a statue... seems to almost make one more of a sheep.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Born_again wrote:The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way the arms were raised, similar to a referee signaling a touchdown. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

..they spent about $250,000 to finance it.

Jesus maybe felt degraded by use of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame compared to sculpture of David made from Carrara marble. :dyinglaughing:

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”