What do you think is Penticton's top issue?

danalbas

What do you think is Penticton's top issue?

Post by danalbas »

Hi everyone,

I just put up a poll at my blog, asking what you think is Penticton's top issue. Please go vote at

http://pentictonpolitics.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/117/

The poll results will be interesting, but is limited to only six issues. As there a lot of other important issues that are not on this poll, could you please flesh some of them out and some possible solutions?

Thanks- I am really looking to reading your responses...

sincerely,

Dan Albas,
City Councillor
Honda59
Fledgling

Re: What do you think is Penticton's top issue?

Post by Honda59 »

Here's my issue. Reading the newspaper this week, Dan Ashton reported that staff are going through the 170 applicants for CAO.

Council hired a reputable consultant to review the services that Penticton provides, and now the most important postion is being decided by staff who are the ones reponsible for this financial and organizational predicament in the first place. Sounds like two steps forward, one step back.

Perhaps staff will not consider someone who is willing to do the job for less (<120,000).
scorpion1024
Fledgling

Post by scorpion1024 »

Dan, I just want to say that I appreciate your interaction here on this forum. I appreciate that you are genuinely concerned with what is happening in Penticton and how people feel.

Thanks!
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things
danalbas

Post by danalbas »

Hi Honda59,

Thanks for replying to this thread. I appreciate where you are coming from- you are 100% correct that the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is the role in the city- leadership (or lack thereof) will have incredible impact on the corporation of the City of Penticton. In other words, this is a critical decision and council has to get it right.

I do want to clarify a point: While our human resources will be involved, council will be in charge of how the selection process is to be carried out and of course, in making the final decision.

As more details become available in the selection process, I will make sure that they are posted for you.
Alternatively, you can call me anytime (250) 486-2199 or email me at [email protected]

Thanks again for your post- you raise a great point!

sincerely,

Dan Albas
danalbas

Post by danalbas »

Hi everyone,

Many thanks to those who took the time to vote!

Just a quick reminder that I am closing my poll on Friday evening- please get in and vote if you haven't already. Here is the link:

http://pentictonpolitics.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/117/

Also, if you click "other" on the poll, please comment and detail your issue- it certainly will help with my thinking!

sincerely,

Dan Albas
danalbas

Post by danalbas »

Many thanks to those who took the time to vote at http://www.PentictonPolitics.com

Here are the final results from the Poll:

Ironman 0%
SOEC 28%
Taxes 24%
Pool project 24%
Reducing barriers to business 4%
other 20%

Looks like the SOEC and Taxes have it. I am curious as to what issues the 'other' represents. Some people highlighted the need for affordable market housing to be available so that young people can start their careers/families here in Penticton. Any others?

sincerely,

Dan Albas
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

Interesting poll. Not albeit accurate as for the amount of people who participated. But interesting nonetheless.

I don't think it should be any surprise that taxes are at the top of the list. Or that the SOEC is at the top of the list. The two go hand in hand. I think taxpayers are concerned about their city taxes BECAUSE of the SOEC.

As a relative newcomer to Penticton, I fully understand the concern of the long term (seniors) residents. But I personally watched this same situation unfold in Kelowna with Prospera.

It is so hard for the average citizen to see long term gain from projects such as the SOEC.

It is still in such baby steps as far as showing a return to the taxpayers. What I have noticed as an outsider is that it is getting a HUGE international reputation because of Global Spectrum being the management company. SOEC is securing more big name acts than any other town of Penticton's size has ever managed to get.

Forward thinking people...I have faith in our local council on this. We as a city will benefit from the SOEC, 10 fold!!!
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

mountain_climber4567 wrote:Interesting poll. Not albeit accurate as for the amount of people who participated. But interesting nonetheless.

I don't think it should be any surprise that taxes are at the top of the list. Or that the SOEC is at the top of the list. The two go hand in hand. I think taxpayers are concerned about their city taxes BECAUSE of the SOEC.

As a relative newcomer to Penticton, I fully understand the concern of the long term (seniors) residents. But I personally watched this same situation unfold in Kelowna with Prospera.

It is so hard for the average citizen to see long term gain from projects such as the SOEC.

It is still in such baby steps as far as showing a return to the taxpayers. What I have noticed as an outsider is that it is getting a HUGE international reputation because of Global Spectrum being the management company. SOEC is securing more big name acts than any other town of Penticton's size has ever managed to get.

Forward thinking people...I have faith in our local council on this. We as a city will benefit from the SOEC, 10 fold!!!

Somebody with a positive attitude and some forward vision. What a refreshing change on these forums. I have only been down to your SOEC twice but I was hugely impressed with the caliber of that building. It is first class all the way.
Back with a vengeance
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

Al Czervic wrote:Somebody with a positive attitude and some forward vision. What a refreshing change on these forums. I have only been down to your SOEC twice but I was hugely impressed with the caliber of that building. It is first class all the way.

Al, I have done my 40+ years in Kelowna. I have so many reasons to not want to be in that town anymore...

I am now in another town just south of Kelowna, but I find myself needing a reason to get out of the house...

I have just started to put my time out there to volunteer for the SPCA, and any other causes to fill my time with something positive!!! I have figured out that just because I want to do positive things, I can't until I actually commit to doing them!!!
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

mountain_climber4567 wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:Somebody with a positive attitude and some forward vision. What a refreshing change on these forums. I have only been down to your SOEC twice but I was hugely impressed with the caliber of that building. It is first class all the way.

Al, I have done my 40+ years in Kelowna. I have so many reasons to not want to be in that town anymore...

I am now in another town just south of Kelowna, but I find myself needing a reason to get out of the house...

I have just started to put my time out there to volunteer for the SPCA, and any other causes to fill my time with something positive!!! I have figured out that just because I want to do positive things, I can't until I actually commit to doing them!!!

If I had to do it all over again I would definitely look more towards Peachland or Penticton as a place to settle down. The central Okanagan has really gone crazy over the past 15 years. Glad you are enjoying it down there.
Back with a vengeance
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Dan Albas, I think it is great that you are venturing on to these forums .. and I do think that you can bring some new focus. I agree with Al, the positive (can-do) spirit seems to get trumped all too often. You can move South anytime Al ... we would be happy to have you.

The SOEC is a beautiful facility. Despite some initial growing pains ... it is a huge asset to the city. I hope we continue to get those big name acts .. we will, in time, be drawing full-houses' from many other places. That will (in turn) help our hotels, eateries,stores, wine industry etc. etc. etc. It is a major economic driver for Penticton! I'm glad it is here.

I'm a little surprised that IronMan was not a big concern as well. It is another incredible economic driver that should (IMO) be kept in Penticton. The financial benifits are far reaching in the community. If we were to lose IronMan - I think there would be other communities that would do 'whatever it takes' to host it.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Attracting and keeping young famillies should be a priority. Attracting those in retirement bring very little stimulus to our local economy especially those who spend 6 months elsewhere. Those who do not live here year-round should be taxed at a higher rate with the excess revenue given in the form of lower taxes to those who do call this town home 12 months of the year. The majority of those who are retired remain on a fixed budget and have less disposeable income than a two income household.

Since we have become a "retirement" community our downtown has suffered. There are empty store fronts (although this may be more due to those dreamers who fell into the real-estate game and built too much). Our tourist industry is a joke compared to what it used to be since all the voters (retirees) prefer to have a no-fun policy. Proof of this is less hotels, motels, and campgrounds. We are not allowed to enjoy our dogs, a past time of my own young family, due to the lack of dog parks.

This town likes to promote itself as both a tourist and family town, but facts are that we are far from one. The truth is Penticton has become an assisted living community, nothing else.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

When they did the big reno at Penticton Plaza some years back we lost the Rainbow Delights bakery, who just happened to serve up the best darn sausage roll this side of heaven, and no one has stepped up to fill that gap. I really think we should address the sausage roll issue.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

-fluffy- wrote:When they did the big reno at Penticton Plaza some years back we lost the Rainbow Delights bakery, who just happened to serve up the best darn sausage roll this side of heaven, and no one has stepped up to fill that gap. I really think we should address the sausage roll issue.

Are they on your dietician's list of approved foods? :200:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

-fluffy- wrote:When they did the big reno at Penticton Plaza some years back we lost the Rainbow Delights bakery, who just happened to serve up the best darn sausage roll this side of heaven, and no one has stepped up to fill that gap. I really think we should address the sausage roll issue.

I used to be a Baker at Rainbow Delights and made those very sausage rolls!
Good puff pastry tops my list of concerns as well. :dyinglaughing:

Return to “Central Okanagan”