Soliciting Religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Soliciting Religion

Post by strwbrrydvl »

I was at Vernon's Canada Day celebration at Polson Park and I recieved three flyers from the Church of God regarding 'saving my soul by begging "god" to forgive me for my sins'. It was a family handing them out, the first time I got one from the woman, the second time from their child and then my husband recieved one from the woman. The woman came up to me again for a fourth time and I firmly told her I had already recieved three of them and didn't need more.

There are Johovah's Witnesses going door to door and Church of God (I'm sure other churches do it too) handing our pamphlets at a community celebration. Why is it that certain groups need to advertise? I know why the Joho's do it but what about the other groups? Is it the need for additional donations or do they really care if others are 'saved'? It is so agrivating. Leave me alone you religulous peoples!!!
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by JLives »

I do not enjoy it either. I want to handout flyers that say "There is likely no god, now get off my porch."
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Most of the time when I am confronted by any of these people, I do my damnedest to polite and say no thanks on occasion if they are pushy. I will ask for as many as they have which causes eyes to just burst then their chins drop when I threw them in the trash. I know I can be an *bleep*.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote:I do not enjoy it either. I want to handout flyers that say "There is likely no god, now get off my porch."

Ah, if only.

I do have to share this though. A friend of mine was sick with the flu and lying naked on the living room couch sweating under a blanket. From his vantage point he was able to see the two JW’s through the living room window ascend the front steps and knock on the front door. He stood up, shed the blanket and attended at the door buck naked and asked “What the f*@& do you want ?”.

I guess his approach worked.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

I got no problem with God........... I just dont trust most of his salesmen and cheerleaders.......
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Haha, very good.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I don't mind people spreading the word about their religion. So, somebody gave you a leaflet. I usually forget about this sorta thing 2 seconds later and move on to more pressing issues in the world. Like twinkies. Or that itchy spot on my shoulder.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

They've adapted their strategies a bit, bringing along children and pets when they go door to door. One pair of JW's showed knocked on my door the other day, an elderly man, and a young lady I'll simply describe as a hottie ;)

I've got to wonder though...I understand that in the economy of certain churches, "spreading the word" is a valuable thing, regardless of the results. But do these tactics actually get people to come to church? And is that enough to offset the negative feelings it generates? Sometimes I think these churches oughta take a marketing course or two.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

JayByrd wrote:They've adapted their strategies a bit, bringing along children and pets when they go door to door. One pair of JW's showed knocked on my door the other day, an elderly man, and a young lady I'll simply describe as a hottie ;)

Yes, it is hard to slam the door in the face of a child or an old woman. A little hottie came to entice you to join, eh? So are you now affiliated? LOL
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
my2rotties
Lord of the Board

Post by my2rotties »

Ooooo, here is one for you.

I was out in Kananaski country hiking in the middle of no where with my dogs last week. I see something shiny and white in a tree, so I am wondering what the heck. I go and see that it is a plastic bag with papers in it. Of course curiosity has the best of me, and I take a peek... Inside is all this Mormon stuff about where you will go after you die and if I want to know the truth... I was sort of disgusted that this is hanging in trees in the middle of my forest paradise. Now I can't throw it on the ground, and litter, and there is no trash can for miles. I neatly packed it all back up and hung it in the tree again...

Saving it for the next soul that might need saving. I have not been back to the area as of yet. I wonder if it is still there.

I live on an acreage, and so far, no solicitors, but they are hanging their stuff in trees with mother nature. I don't care about people's religion, but don't appreciate being disturbed. When we were in Kelowna visiting the inlaws some JWs came to their door... I saw them coming from a mile away and gave my MIL crap for opening the door to strangers.
It doesn't matter how good looking he or she is, some where, someone is tired of his or her's crap.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Door to door, whatever I just don't answer it. However we have a few little old ladies, dressed to the nines come to my work. They have the "watchtower" magazine. I am sooo not interested, I straight out tell them that too. They then proceed to tell me that maybe the boys would look at it in our lunchroom. ummm lady if the pictures don't have boobs, no one is interested. I don't get the door to door, and I really don't get entering a place of business either.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

How about this one?

An old time friend of my parents attended my dad's first memorial service last July 3. Okay. So I'm opening up all the envelopes getting sympathy cards from everyone and what does this friend give the family? JW tracts in plain brown manila envelopes. Tacky.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

2 people each at a corner of the block. One is holding up Awake (JW tracts) the other hold up a sign saying "If I was not awake I would still be in bed".
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

strwbrrydvl wrote:
Yes, it is hard to slam the door in the face of a child or an old woman. A little hottie came to entice you to join, eh? So are you now affiliated? LOL

Haha, it was tempting...not sure how I'd explain this all to my Catholic wife though ;)
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

JayByrd wrote:
strwbrrydvl wrote:

Haha, it was tempting...not sure how I'd explain this all to my Catholic wife though ;)

They send the old woman as a mother figure, who could say no to mom? The child is there to curb the swearing. They have done their market research.
Lack of objection is implied consent.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”