Soliciting Religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by 36Drew »

JayByrd wrote:They've adapted their strategies a bit, bringing along children and pets when they go door to door. One pair of JW's showed knocked on my door the other day, an elderly man, and a young lady I'll simply describe as a hottie ;)

JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full. You're doing them a favour by abstaining from their doctrine.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
ccrraazzyy

Post by ccrraazzyy »

36Drew wrote:
JayByrd wrote:They've adapted their strategies a bit, bringing along children and pets when they go door to door. One pair of JW's showed knocked on my door the other day, an elderly man, and a young lady I'll simply describe as a hottie ;)

JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full. You're doing them a favour by abstaining from their doctrine.

Haha, that is hilarious, I will remember this. My mom is Christian and just loves arguing with the JW's when they come. I will give her this little tidbit of info. Thanks,
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

shouldnt they move into the 21st century? if you look at the pictures of the pamphlets it makes me wonder if my parents are embarassed how they dressed when those picture were taken lol
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

That's what I'm getting at. Do they take the approach that they're marketing a product, like any other, or are they simply sending the same message, in the same way that they have for the last 40 yrs? It definitely seems to be the latter.

While I'm not a religious person (I don't even believe in God), I am all for reaching out to people, and I am not anti-religion or anti-church in the least. But this strategy of spreading the word has always been curious to me. How ineffective would it have to be before they'd take a hard look at what they're doing?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

would bimbo's in bikini's spread the "word" more effectively? i mean think of all the *bleep* young guys who would go to your church to get koch blocked by those hotties. lol
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It is really nice to come across a post like JayByrd's. Such respect in the R&P section is sorely lacking.

Anyway, to the topic at hand...

I much prefer the JWs approach far more than the other suggestions on here. Trying to market something by using "bimbos in bikinis" might be able to attract more people, but the people will be more shallow, lack sincerity, and more than likely move as soon as they find younger bikini women somewhere else.

The pamphlets might seem tacky, but I think the important part is the actual message. It seems like some people are able to see past the "boring approach" to understand the message because their numbers continue to grow by 3.2% per year.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

We get JW's about once a month at our door.... we get Mormon missionaries every wednesday morning for breakfast.

Anyway, I am always willing to discuss religion, but I don't think the JW's keep very good records of who they visit and what the response is. (LDS Missionaries typically do). They come and knock and I tell them I believe in the Bible and go to church every Sunday. When I tell them I am LDS though they are very courteous and excuse themselves and simply leave a tract behind. I don't know if it is because they have such poor luck with the LDS or someone told me once they have a class on how we hypnotize people and convince them to leave their current religion by asking them to pray about truth. Don't know for sure, that is just second hand rumor.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

They didn't used to bother me too much, but the more and more harm I see coming from religion, is the more and more that I hate the 'pushers'. And 'hate', is not an exageration.

Funny vid of religous people swearing and showing a lack of control over their emotions after being water ballooned for repeatedly waking people up.

Warning: Offensive language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdmyarRUH6Y

Hell has no fury like that of delusional people.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

:coffeecanuck: That was so funny!

Here's a couple I stumbled accross after watching that one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5dgW6H ... re=related
(Foul Language Alert! - Staged but very funny sweet little old lady)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZo1jWEC ... re=related
(Lmao!)
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

haha grannies are awesome.

That reminded me of this one. less exciting but more real:
Granny playing first person shooter video game.

Warning: offensive language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yob_Bz1S ... re=related
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

I have no problem with religious groups going door-to-door. What I simply cannot stand, though, is the ones who go into a place of business, ask if they can leave their pamphlets and, upon being told 'no' proceed to sneak them into the papers/magazines anyway. If you're just going to do that, why bother asking. You're just wasting even more of my time and potentially insulting my customers.
John Right

Post by John Right »

Get over it! It's a free country and people have a right to practice anything they want to. They have a right to free speech and equal protection for it under the laws that govern this great country. Sound familiar?

If you don't like having JW's coming to your door, put up a small polite sign or ask them to leave. It's not a big deal! What about the rock chip repair flyers placed on your car window at the mall? Doesn't that drive you crazy!! I mean what do these jerks want? Money or something, it's nuts.

You are so double-standard and anti-Christian biased it's sad to see. But if you wanted to have a Gay parade and march it right down my street with men dancing around in g-strings and if I uttered one single word of protest! All living hell would break loose wouldn't it?

But ya, a nice family handing out harmless flyers in a public park, that's crossing the line and worthy of ranting about on Castanet, isn't it?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If you don't like having JW's coming to your door, put up a small polite sign or ask them to leave. It's not a big deal! What about the rock chip repair flyers placed on your car window at the mall? Doesn't that drive you crazy!! I mean what do these jerks want? Money or something, it's nuts.
I don't see a double standard here - basically it's the constant barrage of pamphlets that most seem to have a problem with. I don't care for the extra flyers or being disturbed by door or phone and trying to explain to someone "No means No!!"
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

36Drew wrote:JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full. You're doing them a favour by abstaining from their doctrine.

Fortunately I live in a condo. now so the door to door soliciting doesn't happen. However that is exactly what I would explain to them when they would come to my door. "If there are only a certain number of people allowed into his kingdom, then what happens if Jehovah likes me better than you?! I would be chosen and you wouldn't? I just simply wouldn't feel right if that happened." Of course they try a different angle, but I stick to my morals of not butting in the line and how it would make me feel bad, and religion should never make anyone feel bad.
*wink* It works
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

John Right wrote:You are so double-standard and anti-Christian biased it's sad to see. But if you wanted to have a Gay parade and march it right down my street with men dancing around in g-strings and if I uttered one single word of protest! All living hell would break loose wouldn't it?

But ya, a nice family handing out harmless flyers in a public park, that's crossing the line and worthy of ranting about on Castanet, isn't it?

That is correct, John.
You can make your homophobic remarks and I can complain about recieving too many church pamplets all here on Castanet. You have your opinions and I (we) have mine (ours).
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”