God did not create the universe says Stephen Hawking

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
tsu
Fledgling

Re: God did not create the universe says Stephen Hawking

Post by tsu »

John Right wrote:
don_pepe wrote:Carbon 14 by itself isn't a perfect dating method since the levels of C14 are not constant in the atmosphere. To compensate for this science uses Dendrochronology (tree rings) to calibrate with. Using overlapping tree rings we've went back 26,000 years. We can also sample bubbles in glaciers going back 800,000 years to see what past atmospheric conditions were since they also put on layers like trees do. I'm not sure if they can use this to calibrate C14 or not?

I'm not really sure what C14 has do do with Stephen Hawking though?

Because the entire theory of evolution hangs on the assumption that the earth in millions of years old and the only way anyone can 'prove' that is thru carbon dating. And evolutionist usually subscribe to the big bang theory as well. The two go hand in hand.

Everything you said is wrong, since carbon-14 only has a half-life of 5,730 years its once of the few tool not used to prove the age of the earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor
The natural nuclear reactor formed when a uranium-rich mineral deposit became inundated with groundwater that acted as a neutron moderator, and a nuclear chain reaction took place. The heat generated from the nuclear fission caused the groundwater to boil away, which slowed or stopped the reaction. After cooling of the mineral deposit, short-lived fission product poisons decayed, the water returned and the reaction started again. These fission reactions were sustained for hundreds of thousands of years, until a chain reaction could no longer be supported.

Fission of uranium normally produces five known isotopes of the fission-product gas xenon; all five have been found trapped in the remnants of the natural reactor, in varying concentrations. The concentrations of xenon isotopes, found trapped in mineral formations 2 billion years later, make it possible to calculate the specific time intervals of reactor operation: approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.[4]

A key factor that made the reaction possible was that, at the time the reactor went critical, the fissile isotope 235U made up about 3% of the natural uranium, which is comparable to the amount used in some of today's reactors. (The remaining 97% was non-fissile 238U.) Because 235U has a shorter half life than 238U, and thus decays more rapidly, the current abundance of 235U in natural uranium is about 0.7%. A natural nuclear reactor is therefore no longer possible on Earth without heavy water.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

flamingfingers wrote:
John Right wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:It would be a pretty soggy 'flip-flop' if it took 22 years! And to do a '180' would only require an 8-degree turn each year. I have learned many, many things, and have adjusted some of my attitudes in 22 years. It's called 'learning'....

Nice try.

Huh?

I hardly think it possible that a person does not change some facets of their thinking and attitudes over 22 years. There would hardly be the internet or these forums if such were the case, don't you think?

LOL, this reminds me of my gardener friend. At 35 she was showing her Dad her garden.
"But you HATE gardening," he said.

"Dad, that's when I was 14!"

As if no one learns, evolves, developes theories, ideas, or reconsiders a thing. Ever.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

The only constant in the universe is change.
We're lost but we're making good time.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

Nibs wrote:The only constant in the universe is change.

Is it that it changes consistantly? Constantly? Irradically but still changing? OR changing.......?
Lack of objection is implied consent.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Lycoming wrote:The sooner humanity accepts that we are responsible for our own decisions and destiny the better. The mere idea that anyones fate is determined by an old man floating on a cloud - and that this idea has persisted for thousands of years - is possibly the greatest shame of our species.

Religion of all forms is the greatest blight the world has ever known, and will likely bring about our extinction if we can not see past the fact that silly things written in books 2000 years ago are not a reason to be butchering each other.

Props to Dr. Hawking.

I realize I'm way late on this, but I truly believe if there is a God, then this:
we are responsible for our own decisions and destiny

is the biggest point he has tried to get across. Free will wouldn't exist if God had a say in what we do. Many people, both atheist and religious, don't understand that teaching.
Lycoming
Fledgling

Post by Lycoming »

John Right wrote:
don_pepe wrote:Carbon 14 by itself isn't a perfect dating method since the levels of C14 are not constant in the atmosphere. To compensate for this science uses Dendrochronology (tree rings) to calibrate with. Using overlapping tree rings we've went back 26,000 years. We can also sample bubbles in glaciers going back 800,000 years to see what past atmospheric conditions were since they also put on layers like trees do. I'm not sure if they can use this to calibrate C14 or not?

I'm not really sure what C14 has do do with Stephen Hawking though?

Because the entire theory of evolution hangs on the assumption that the earth in millions of years old and the only way anyone can 'prove' that is thru carbon dating. And evolutionist usually subscribe to the big bang theory as well. The two go hand in hand.

You never played with dinosaurs as a kid did you? Or were they killed off 5000 yrs ago for not praying enough as well.

Speaking of hand in hand, how about violence, oppression, ignorance, intolerance and the Christian church? I know the middle ages were only last week (according to your backwards view of time), but nothing much has changed for christianity since you first sacked Rome 2000 yrs ago. Vandals and murderers the religion began and a plague it remains.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”