Evolution is not an opinion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Evolution is not an opinion

Post by I Think »

Don't faint nab - but i agree with you!
We're lost but we're making good time.
Interiors

Post by Interiors »

I Don't think so buddy :dyinglaughing:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

NAB wrote:After all, what is a human but simply an animal with a more highly developed brain (but the same natural instincts)?Nab

We do have natural instincts, a highly developed brain (in some) and we show our animal tendancies from time to time.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Anyone see the doc "A murder of crows"?

Crows can recognize a human face and remember it for years. If you throw something at a crow that is playing in your garden - it will remember your face and warn other crows when it sees you - years later even. That crow will pass that info to its offspring as well.

New Caledonia crows can fashion tools and solve complex problems with those tools. A crow will make a spear out of a twig and fish food out of a log with it. Not only that, but these crows can solve 4 tier level problems - or higher.

Hide a piece of food in a box that is only accessible by fishing it out with a long stick. Hide a long stick in another box that can only be accessed with a shorter stick. Put a short stick on the end of a string and dangle it from the crows cage.

These New Caledonian crows will solve the problem. The crow flys around and looks at the food and the sticks. Sizes things up. The crow fly's to the top of the cage and gets the short stick off the string. Takes the short stick and fishes the longer stick out of the other cage. Crow takes longer stick and fishes food out of box. It was amazing. These are wild crows, solving these problems within a matter of minutes.

There are only 2 other species on the planet that can make tools. Humans and elephants. Elephants cant solve complex problems. These crows are smart, and wouldn't surprise me in a few hundred thousand years if they start talking or writing things down.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Bagotricks wrote:
There are only 2 other species on the planet that can make tools. Humans and elephants. Elephants cant solve complex problems. These crows are smart, and wouldn't surprise me in a few hundred thousand years if they start talking or writing things down.

I knew crows were quite clever and had heard of their tool use but tool use is not as exclusive as you state.

Wikipedia:
Tools are used by some animals, particularly primates, to perform simple tasks such as getting food or grooming. Originally thought to be a skill only possessed by human beings, tool use requires some level of intelligence. Primates have been observed exploiting sticks and stones to accomplish tasks. Numerous bird species have also been noted as capable of using tools. The behavior has also been observed in dolphins, elephants, otters, birds and octopuses.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”