Kelowna - Now and Then

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by Queen K »

Anyone new here remember the Kelowna Zoo?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Queen K wrote:Anyone new here remember the Kelowna Zoo?

Kelowna had a Zoo..... were the hell was I.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

RR24K wrote:

Yes, and where were you in the early 70's? Enderby somewhere? Kelowna's Zoo was somewhere near where the Paradise Trailer Park is, or near Canadian Tire. I remember it very well.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Queen K wrote:
RR24K wrote:

Yes, and where were you in the early 70's? Enderby somewhere? Kelowna's Zoo was somewhere near where the Paradise Trailer Park is, or near Canadian Tire. I remember it very well.

A slave on family farm;)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh dear, a "slave on family farm" doesn't sound er....er....encouraging. But that is what my cousins went through on the farm they were brought up on in GF.

Did you ever make it to Kelowna back then? Remember anything about it?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Queen K wrote:Oh dear, a "slave on family farm" doesn't sound er....er....encouraging. But that is what my cousins went through on the farm they were brought up on in GF.

Did you ever make it to Kelowna back then? Remember anything about it?

Traveled threw Kelowna only in winter to ski valley Mts. Apex, Big White and my regular Silver Star.
BankheadStore

Post by BankheadStore »

I seem to recall a smoking Ape. Is it truth or folklore that when he was being weaned off cigarettes, he escaped and broke into
Sid's grocery store?
BankheadStore

Post by BankheadStore »

This picture was taken outside a ladies dress shop on Bernard ave. (the one closest to Safeway ? Sally Shop ?)
It was a blistering hot Regatta Day and this Hawaiian display was a tie-in with the Grass Shack 'across the lake'. I was selected to have a lesson from those of us gathered to watch. I remember feeling very special because strangers were taking pictures. When it was over she gave me a Cupie doll dressed in a grass skirt and my mom bought me a little cup of sea shells.
It never fails, when I look at this picture I wonder how much that wicker monkey was!!!!
Attachments
Bernard Ave<br />1964
Bernard Ave
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Excellent photo, thanks! And I remember the Grass Shack across the lake too. That's you in 1964 during regatta? Well, I would have been about a month and a few days old. You got the best of Kelowna, IMO.

Please post more, more, more!
BankheadStore

Post by BankheadStore »

Queen K wrote:Excellent photo, thanks! And I remember the Grass Shack across the lake too. That's you in 1964 during regatta? Well, I would have been about a month and a few days old. You got the best of Kelowna, IMO.

Please post more, more, more!

Aww thanks Queen K
I was taking a quick peek at my post to see if anybody had said anything yet. Geeky I know. I'll get to scanning soon. I have a few more, not many around the town sadly. But thanks for appreciating it. Wasn't the Grass Shack fabulous! It was such a treat to take a drive over there on a warm evening and look at everything with my mom. Shells were my standard purchase though one time I got a pair of woven grass slippers.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Too much fun. Looking forward to your Kelowna pics. Hope they don't have a copyright or someone will be on you like a Robin on a worm.

And guess what, my mom had her bike stolen at Bankhead store. So much for small town trust eh.... :dyinglaughing:

When her parents bought the nearby land and house up on the hill they could have had the whole hill for $1,500. Only they were Scottish and didn't believe in debt! No borrowing! ha ha hhhaaaa.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Remember that the Liquor Store on Leon Ave. was turned into the first Gospel Mission Thrift Store before they moved it across the street to where it is now. I have pics of a firetruck with it's front window smashed in a few hours after the original riot. Heck I have pix of the riot police.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've only been in town since '89, so I missed all of that. I am sure enjoying the rememberances though, trying to build a mental image of what it was like here before then . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Lady tehMa wrote:I've only been in town since '89, so I missed all of that. I am sure enjoying the rememberances though, trying to build a mental image of what it was like here before then . . .

Oh heck, I'm trying to hang onto my mental Pic. of what Kelowna used to be.
BankheadStore

Post by BankheadStore »

Lady tehMa wrote:I've only been in town since '89, so I missed all of that. I am sure enjoying the rememberances though, trying to build a mental image of what it was like here before then . . .

Hi I wish you could time travel back for a day, I'd go with you and have another look at all those Barbies on the store shelves for $3.00!!!!!

Queen = I remember turning 19 and taking myself straight down to that Liqour store and buying a 'mickey', hoping to get asked for ID. They never checked. In hindsight I suppose I had an air of entitlement about me due to the fact that I'd already been patronizing the Royal Ann Lounge and a club down by the park. Dang. Can't remember the name of it. 1974-75 ish. Arr! what was that place called.

Return to “Grab Bag”