Tips and Tricks

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Tips and Tricks

Post by Bsuds »

This is a place to post tips and tricks that you know or have just learned.

For example I found this trick this morning.

From PC World.

" By Rick Broida, PCWorld

Regular Hassle-Free PC readers know of my fondness for keyboard shortcuts. But let's not overlook the mouse, which is just as capable of saving you precious seconds while you work.

For example, suppose you're working on a document and want to italicize a word. Most people reach for the mouse, click and hold the left button, then drag to select that word. That gets the job done, but it's slow and imprecise.

The faster, easier way? Just double-click the word (like I did in the example at left). Presto! It's instantly highlighted, and ready for italicizing, copying, or whatever.

Want to work the same magic on an entire paragraph? Just triple-click anywhere inside it. Again, presto: the whole thing is instantly selected.

By the way, these click-tricks work in lots of places: word processors, Web browsers (try it right here!), e-mail programs, and so on. Once you get in the habit, I guarantee you'll never go back to the old click-and-drag method"
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Quixote
Fledgling

Re: Tips and Tricks

Post by Quixote »

My problem is that I use so many of them without even thinking, that compiling a list becomes difficult!

Here's some quick ones:
- Instead of typing the full site name (i.e. www.google.com), just type google and press Ctrl + enter
- Tab moves forward between fields in a form, shift+tab jumps backwards (you can also use alt+shift+tab to move backwards between applications).
- Alt + left arrow goes back through your webpages, alt + right arrow moves forwards, ctrl + t brings up a new tab
- Ctrl + click will open up a link in a new tab, shift + click will open a link in a new window
- Use control to highlight entire words in a document; i.e. pressing ctrl + shift + left/right arrow will select entire words at a time
- In Word, Ctrl + [ decreases font size, ctrl + ] increases font size
- In most browsers, ctrl + shift + +/- increases/decreases the magnification
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Normal ones that I use that non-savvy computer users usually don't:

Ctrl + c = Copy
Ctrl + v = Paste
Ctrl + z = Undo
Ctrl + n = Open new window (Browser)
Alt + Tab = Switch between windows (Hold alt and you can navigate through with tab)
Alt + F4 = Close a window when the boss is coming ;)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Quixote wrote:- Alt + left arrow goes back through your webpages,

So will "Backspace"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I find that very few people are aware that there's an easy way to get to your System Properties window by simply pressing "Windows" + "Pause/Break" keys. Useful for when you need to check device manager.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I find that very few people are aware that there's an easy way to get to your System Properties window by simply pressing "Windows" + "Pause/Break" keys. Useful for when you need to check device manager.

"Windows" + "E" does the same thing too.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GoStumpy wrote:Alt + Tab = Switch between windows (Hold alt and you can navigate through with tab)

And if you have Windows 7: "Windows button" + Tab is way cooler (I discovered this little trick by accident when I pressed the wrong key attempting an Alt + Tab).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Shrapnel
Fledgling

Post by Shrapnel »

I don't know about other OS's, but with Windows 7, you can move files when you see the copy file instead. If you download something to you desktop, and want to move it later, it will copy. Hold shift while you drag the file to your desired folder, and "copy to ?" will change to "move to?"

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable with computers and I just recently learned this one lol. :spinball:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:I find that very few people are aware that there's an easy way to get to your System Properties window by simply pressing "Windows" + "Pause/Break" keys. Useful for when you need to check device manager.

"Windows" + "E" does the same thing too.

Not on Windows 7 it doesn't.

It's still a useful short cut but on Windows 7 that combination will give you your "My Computer" window.

Actually I just went to my XP computer and it doesn't do it there either.

Your combination is for "My Computer" while mine was to get you to "System"
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Thank you for this thread. While this is a touch more sophisticated than I am, it's good to look at it and see if I want to learn something about that little tip. I guess thats what tips are all about.

Thanx
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
ogleby
Fledgling

Post by ogleby »

Shrapnel wrote:I don't know about other OS's, but with Windows 7, you can move files when you see the copy file instead. If you download something to you desktop, and want to move it later, it will copy.

This should only happen if you drag the file to a different device (a different drive, or a network location).

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... g-and-drop for details.
How long must a body be buried before a grave-robber becomes an archeologist?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Interesting because every Laptop at the store it takes you to "system" (I use it daily) whereas on my desktop at home it goes to "my Computer".
I wonder why the difference?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You know how some posters like to write in reallllllly small type just to annoy you? Well, there is a little trick you can use to inflict revenge: hold down the Ctrl button and scroll with the mouse. Voila.

Edited for dyslexia.
Last edited by Glacier on Feb 27th, 2011, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Alt + F4 speeds up your browser.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Interesting because every Laptop at the store it takes you to "system" (I use it daily) whereas on my desktop at home it goes to "my Computer".
I wonder why the difference?

I honestly don't know. I just know I've been using that method for quite a number of years and it's always taken me to "System".

I have five different PC's here and they all respond the same way.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”