Subway overtakes McDonalds?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Subway overtakes McDonalds?

Post by averagejoe »

I found this interesting article...

Invasion of the super-sized sarnies: As Subway overtakes McDonalds as our biggest fast-food chain, the artery clogging truth about its sandwiches.....

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z1GQW1prJK
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds?

Post by steven lloyd »

:200: On no Jarrod - say it ain't so.

... you can choose your length of sub (6in or 12in) and there’s also a selection of breads, from oat and honey to Italian herb and wheat. When it comes to fillings, you can either go for one of their suggestions, such as the Italian BMT (big, meaty and tasty) or the Meatball Marinara (meatballs, tomato sauce and cheese), or you can choose from various sliced meat options, a vegetarian version or tuna.

I guess it depends on what you select. I know I've stood in line and watched someone have a sandwich made and thought "what the ... ? That can't be healthy." On the other hand, I always get a whole wheat 6-inch with some steak and cheese and lots of fresh veggies (lettuce, onion, green pepper, etc.) with some chipotle mayo and love it. It is exactly the same way I would make it at home, except the veggies are probably fresher as they get rotated every day in a restaurant. And unlike walking away from MacDonalds or A&W with an uncomfortable lump in my gut, I feel good after eating at Subway. Again, I guess it all depends on how you decide to have your sandwich made and what with.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I love the Italian meatball sub on whole wheat with lots of tomatoe, green pepper, lettuce and black olives. Lots of fat and salt, it can't be that good for me, but has to beat McD's any day. When they used to have grated carrot, I'd get that added too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Queen K wrote:I love the Italian meatball sub ...

Bad girl :wink:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You finally got my number. :140:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Queen K wrote:I love the Italian meatball sub on whole wheat with lots of tomatoe, green pepper, lettuce and black olives. Lots of fat and salt, it can't be that good for me, but has to beat McD's any day. When they used to have grated carrot, I'd get that added too.

Same here , my fav too . I saw a commercial tonight featuring their new meatball pepperoni sub , it looked really tasty .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I've never been to Subway :127:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Meh. You're not missing much. It's fast food cleverly disguised as "healthy".
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I figure it's as healthy as I order it. If I get lots of processed meats, mayo, and a small bit of onions, not so much.

But if I get the chicken loaded with vegetables, no cheese or thin mayo, hold the salt on whole wheat, what could go wrong?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Queen K wrote:I figure it's as healthy as I order it.

Exactly. If you want lean meat with lots of fresh vegetables, the choices are right there in front of you to pick. If you're making unhealthy choices, they're the same unhealthy choices you could be making at home. Quite a contrast to McDonalds.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:If you're making unhealthy choices, they're the same unhealthy choices you could be making at home. Quite a contrast to McDonalds.

Actually, McD offers quite a variety of healthy choices - milk, apple slices, salads, etc.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: Actually, McD offers quite a variety of healthy choices - milk, apple slices, salads, etc.

I stand corrected - but will still choose Subway over McDonalds just about every day ...

... although I will confess I have still never found a tastier french fry and I like the occasional filet o' fish. I also like the hot apple pie thing, and I sometimes like to have the breakfast burrito with salsa (no worse than bacon and eggs at home I figure)
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

One friend who's on a "diet" and I recently had a quick lunch at subway. I had my usual teriyaki chicken with tomatoes, lettuce, onions & olives with no cheese. She had double meat, double cheese with extra mayo and no veggies but thinks its healthy because it's not McDonalds. :137: I don't have the heart to tell her why this "diet" isn't working, lol
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
cellojello

Post by cellojello »

I read in the 2011 "Eat this, Not that" book that subway's so called whole wheat bread hardly includes any whole wheat in it. Instead the bread is dyed to make it look as if it is whole wheat.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/s ... e=2&page=1

What's Really In … SUBWAY 9-GRAIN WHEAT

SUBWAY 9-GRAIN WHEAT (6")
210 calories
2 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
410 mg sodium

Okay, so you're probably not in the habit of ordering a la carte bread loaves at Subway, but there’s a good chance you've eaten at least a few sandwiches built on this bread. The good news is that Subway actually delivers on the nine-grain promise. The bad news: Eight of those nine grains appear in miniscule amounts. If you look at a Subway ingredient statement, you'll find every grain except wheat listed at the bottom of the list, just beneath the qualifier "contains 2% or less." In fact, the primary ingredient in this bread is plain old white flour, and high-fructose corn syrup plays a more prominent role than any single whole grain. Essentially this is a white-wheat hybrid with trace amounts of other whole grains like oats, barley, and rye.

So outside of the nine grains, how many ingredients does Subway use to keep this bread together? Sixteen, including such far-from-simple ingredients as DATEM, sodium steroyl lactylate, calcium sulfate, and azodiacarbonamide. But here's one that's a little unnerving: ammonium sulfate. This compound is loaded with nitrogen, which is why it's most common use is as fertilizer. You might have used it to nourish your plants at home. And Subway does the same thing; the ammonium sulfate nourishes the yeast and helps the bread turn brown. What, did you think that dark hue was the result of whole grains? Hardly. It's a combination of the ammonium sulfate and the caramel coloring. Seems like Jarod might frown on that sort of subterfuge.

Of course, in terms of calories, Subway's still one of your best allies in the sandwich game. But here's an even better idea: Whip up one of these 25 best sandwiches in America at home in minutes. You'll save calories, money and precious time.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow

Return to “Health”