Looming Federal Election

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Looming Federal Election

Post by I Think »

This thread seems to be a conservative love in, so I wont bother with it much except to say that harper seems to be at the top of the liars and syndicators heap, he is nothing more than a republican in parliamentary clothing.
We're lost but we're making good time.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

"republican" is a US political term nibs, we don't have such things in Canada. Mainly because we are not a republic, ...yet. But if Iggy has his way I'm pretty sure it won't be long before we become fully a part of that one south of the border that you appear to love so much ;=).

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

A vote for "Icky" would pull the flush handle for Canada.
Chill
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

All the time , money , and BS of an election , and we will end up with exactly what we have right now , a minority conservative government. Every party is going to tell us lies about the other party , and lies about how they will be better.
To be honest , none of them are deserving of a single vote. We elect MP's to represent us ( their constituents ) , but they don't , they only represent their party leader. They vote exactly the way they are told to regardless of what the people who put them there want. They waste OUR money daily. Is this democracy ? If it is , it makes me wonder if the people dying in Benghazi would really want it if they really knew what it has turned into. It is only a democracy until the day after the election. The whole system makes me sick.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

As someone mentioned earlier, what a conservative love in. Guess we know who is getting re-elected here.

We don't want an election is all I hear from the Conservatives yet from the ear to ear smiles on their faces it was obvious that they had all ready hung the mission accomplished banner.

Perhaps we can get the companies first party out of power and get a government in that supports people instead of companies before we end up in the same financial mess the US is in.

Over and over and over it has been shown that cutting taxes accomplishes one thing. Less tax revenue. However, we have a government in power right now that feels that we should again cut taxes to those poor corporate folks.

Look at your fuel bill and ask yourself just why do these folks need these subsidies and tax breaks?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

butcher99 wrote:As someone mentioned earlier, what a conservative love in. Guess we know who is getting re-elected here.

We don't want an election is all I hear from the Conservatives yet from the ear to ear smiles on their faces it was obvious that they had all ready hung the mission accomplished banner.

Perhaps we can get the companies first party out of power and get a government in that supports people instead of companies before we end up in the same financial mess the US is in.

Over and over and over it has been shown that cutting taxes accomplishes one thing. Less tax revenue. However, we have a government in power right now that feels that we should again cut taxes to those poor corporate folks.

Look at your fuel bill and ask yourself just why do these folks need these subsidies and tax breaks?
Here's one answer to your question:

http://communities.canada.com/vancouver ... -cuts.aspx
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

butcher99 wrote: Look at your fuel bill and ask yourself just why do these folks need these subsidies and tax breaks?

Answer: so that Canada can continue to lead the G20 in economic recovery by stimulating industry to provide good paying jobs for Canadian families.

Not such a tough concept to grasp once you disregard the bafflegab from your union rep.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Cutting taxes for businesses and the rich, is bankrupting the US. It is the Republican way. harper must be a republican. And has created an unemployment problem there, telling everyone that it is good for jobs is just propaganda, it is only good for business owners and the rich.
We do not want Canada to keep sliding towards republicanism.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Nibs wrote:Cutting taxes for businesses and the rich, is bankrupting the US. It is the Republican way. harper must be a republican.

Last time I looked, the Democrats were in power and bankrupting the US by spending themselves into oblivion. Ever heard of Obama the Democrat, Nibs?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Nibs wrote:Cutting taxes for businesses and the rich, is bankrupting the US. It is the Republican way. harper must be a republican. And has created an unemployment problem there, telling everyone that it is good for jobs is just propaganda, it is only good for business owners and the rich.
Did you read the article that John Manley wrote? I posted the link above. As you probably know he's a former Liberal Minister of Finance and he supports the corporate tax cuts because they have resulted in an increase to government coffers. It makes economic sense to create a climate so that businesses can flourish and that's why both the Conservatives and the LIberals have supported these tax cuts. For some reason the Liberals have now said they don't want that final cut made (down to 15%) even though they supported it previously. Anyway, I hope you read what John Manley had to say. It makes sense to me.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

RichardWede wrote:
butcher99 wrote: Look at your fuel bill and ask yourself just why do these folks need these subsidies and tax breaks?

Answer: so that Canada can continue to lead the G20 in economic recovery by stimulating industry to provide good paying jobs for Canadian families.

Not such a tough concept to grasp once you disregard the bafflegab from your union rep.

Yes, cutting tax rates to industry sure worked in Ireland didn't it. It will work just as well here.

Ireland cut the tax rates to some of the lowest in the world and all was rosy until someone cut the tax rates even more. Now Ireland has no industry and no taxes.

Our tax rate for industry is pretty low to start with. Why cut more?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I hate hearing all this talk about elections... besides from people with Chinese accents... then it's rather amusing. :lol:
They say you can't believe everything they say.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Urbane wrote:
    Nibs wrote:Cutting taxes for businesses and the rich, is bankrupting the US. It is the Republican way. harper must be a republican. And has created an unemployment problem there, telling everyone that it is good for jobs is just propaganda, it is only good for business owners and the rich.
Did you read the article that John Manley wrote? I posted the link above. As you probably know he's a former Liberal Minister of Finance and he supports the corporate tax cuts because they have resulted in an increase to government coffers. It makes economic sense to create a climate so that businesses can flourish and that's why both the Conservatives and the LIberals have supported these tax cuts. For some reason the Liberals have now said they don't want that final cut made (down to 15%) even though they supported it previously. Anyway, I hope you read what John Manley had to say. It makes sense to me.

Tax cuts to industry producing jobs and raising more taxes is nothing more than to quote Richard "bafflegab" from the corporate elite. Cutting taxes has never been shown to raise any revenue but actually has been shown to reduce revenues.

Cutting taxes to corporations only affects those corporations who already make a profit. They are making profits and we give them more profits. That is about all it accomplishes.
Those corporations who need a hand or who are not making much profit will feel nothing from this.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

butcher99 wrote: Cutting taxes to corporations only affects those corporations who already make a profit. They are making profits and we give them more profits. That is about all it accomplishes.
    Those corporations who need a hand or who are not making much profit will feel nothing from this.
It doesn't bother me that corporations make more profit if that in turn benefits the entire economy. And that's what's happening with the corporate tax cuts. Canada is doing exceedingly well relative to the other G20 countries and establishing a good climate for business is a big reason. As to the cuts not working here is a rebuttal from John Manley (former Liberal Finance Minister):

One reason for the more positive fiscal outlook is that federal government revenues from corporate income taxation are projected to increase by an annual average of 6.3 percent between 2010-11 and 2015-16.

Indeed, the budget indicates that corporate income taxes now represent the single fastest growing source of government revenue. Despite recent reductions in the statutory corporate tax rate, federal revenues from business taxation are expected to rise by 12 percent over the next year – more than double the increase in personal income tax revenues.
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

butcher99 wrote:
Urbane wrote:

Tax cuts to industry producing jobs and raising more taxes is nothing more than to quote Richard "bafflegab" from the corporate elite. Cutting taxes has never been shown to raise any revenue but actually has been shown to reduce revenues.

Cutting taxes to corporations only affects those corporations who already make a profit. They are making profits and we give them more profits. That is about all it accomplishes.

Taxing corporations. Have you ever met a corporation? You can't tax corporations, you tax people. Cutting taxes isn't about raising revenue for the government anyway so hat should it matter if the government gets less revenue?

Corporate taxes are taxes on people they increase prices to consumers, so the more you beg for more tax, the more you will have to pay for the goods and services you want. Look at liquor as an example. In Austria I could buy a 6 pack of 0.5 litre beers for 4.50 euros or around 6 dollars. In Canada I would pay at least $15 dollars for 6 0.341litres. I pay over twice as much for less product because of "corporate taxes". That is only one example there are many others.

Canadians I've noticed always seem to think about the government before their own personal finances. Personally I think I can spend my own money a lot better than the government can spend it for me. People often cite all the wasteful spending but the curious answer to that seems to be "give them more money."

So if you want higher prices for things and even more terrible government services by all means advocate more taxes.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”