Interesting poster

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Interesting poster

Post by Tacklewasher »

199891_10100229015977222_28101242_60705789_3209821_n.jpg

Saw this on facebook. The intent is to get more young people to actually vote.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Interesting poster

Post by grammafreddy »

That's insulting.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

No it's not. It's a good marketing move - hopefully it does what it's supposed to do and gets the younger voters out.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

grammafreddy wrote:That's insulting.

Honestly, I don't think that was the intention. We have a terrible under-representation by young voters in Canada and it is trying to address that.

I do apologize if you found it insulting. I did not intend to insult by posting it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It's not you, tacklewasher, that insulted. It is Elections Canada.

I am well aware that voter turnout of young people is low.

Granted it is a marketing ploy, but the inference is there that older people are not able to address the issues that younger people have and it also infers that older people are not capable to making decisions relevant to younger people.

Slamming someone or putting down a whole segment of society to get a message across is not good advertising policy - IMO. There are better ways to do it and Elections Canada should not have stooped this low.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

hardnut
Fledgling

Post by hardnut »

Indeed - what if the poster had read instead, "Your grandparents have lived a lot longer than you and have a lot more life experience and knowledge than you. Young voters, you don't know squat - stay home on election day." That would not have gone over very well.

Never mind the fact that the government is your grandparents' government just as much as anyone else. I agree - how insulting.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

That is, without a doubt, the most insulting, divisive, and biased stunt Elections Canada has ever pulled.

Edit to add: I think some heads should roll over that. In fact I may make it a personal project to see that they do!

By the way, are we even sure that came from Elections Canada, and that it isn't just the effort of some juvenile left wing on line whacko?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

“left wing on line whacko?”

Commenting on an insult, using an insult may not be the best way to get your point across.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

No, we don't.

I sent an email to the Commissioner of Canada Elections:

E-mail: [email protected]

I also sent a link to this thread to Phil Johnson at AM1150.

[email protected]
Last edited by grammafreddy on Apr 4th, 2011, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Doubt very much if Elections Canada had any input. If you check their web site (as shown on the poster) it tells you how to check to see if you're eligible and/or registered to vote and if not, what steps you can take to get registered.

http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 4th, 2011, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Ranger66 wrote:“left wing on line whacko?”

Commenting on an insult, using an insult may not be the best way to get your point across.

What would you consider an appropriate name for someone who would make and circulate such a disgusting comment Ranger?

Anyway, looks like some more off the wall khwalkerlawyer twitter stuff, or perhaps Huffington Post or The Onion idiocy.

http://twitter.com/khwalkerlawyer/statu ... 9099282432

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

*try reposting without the personal attacks/Jo*
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Maybe I fall in with the "younger folk" - but why exactly is this "insulting"???

i guess they could have said " you wouldn't let your parents or grandparents choose your date - being as for ALL youth, it has been their parents and grandparents choosing their gov't for the bulk of their lives - Where is the insult? (I must be very insensitive if it is going right over my head....)
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
NAB wrote:are we even sure that came from Elections Canada, and that it isn't just the effort of some juvenile left wing on line whacko?

Oh - clearly a left winger ........ :spinball:

i am starting to believe that NAB is a conservative drone robot, meant to wander the forums, spreading the good word of harpo and his cronies.

What are you insinuating? That by encouraging young people to vote it must be a lefty cause it would clearly hurt the righties??? Maybe the righties should look at what they are presenting that would actually benefit someone under 30 ..........

That poster is just as insulting to the intelligence of our young voters as it is to seniors! And anyone who would circulate such a thing warrants any derogatory comment I can fire in their direction. I will concede however I should have used the words "extreme" left wing, rather than just left wing. Or perhaps I should have left the left wing remark out all together, and just been satisifed with "whacko".

Nab
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

“a disgusting comment”

If stating a fact is disgusting then so be it, but if you take a poll I am pretty comfortable that a vast majority of people would not let their grandparent’s choice who they are going to date. This information may be painful to said grandparents but probably not a big surprise.
As for what I would call someone who wrote the poster, creative.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished

Return to “Federal Election 2011”