Interesting poster

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Interesting poster

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Perhaps your missing the attempt at humor that I believe most people under the age of 30 will fully grasp and appreciate.

the Geezers unite thread is a couple down -= should all the youth be offended that the geezers are banning together to try and push forth things that benefit seniors??? (I see all the people complaining on here are frequent posters on the Geezer thread....hmmmmmm............
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Not complaining ... thought it was a good poster to get the young voters out.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Hahaha. So much out of nothing. Nothing official denoting it's from Elections Canada.

The message, which was intended for younger people, is that your principles may not align with the older generation, you should vote if you want your government to reflect your opinions.

I like it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I don't find much humour in slamming a segment of society. What is it that amuses you, Corny?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

NAB wrote:Fair enough nibs, good idea to focus on specific issues and as a "senior" myself I am quite willing to enter into a conversation about our particular problems and where our vote may be best placed in this election.

Oh man.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

grammafreddy wrote:I don't find much humour in slamming a segment of society. What is it that amuses you, Corny?

Its amusing because for the most part it is true - the "grandparent" segment of society is the largest voter turnout segment - essentially choosing the gov't for the youth. It would be absurd to let your grandparent pick your dates (thus the stretch of reality that would strike some people as humorous)

How exactly do you feel the elderly are being "slammed"? i just don't see it......
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Ranger66 wrote:“a disgusting comment”

If stating a fact is disgusting then so be it, but if you take a poll I am pretty comfortable that a vast majority of people would not let their grandparent’s choice who they are going to date. This information may be painful to said grandparents but probably not a big surprise.
As for what I would call someone who wrote the poster, creative.

You seem to be missing the point Ranger. Most Grandparents don't usually have any desire to try to influence who their grandchildren date. But for any grandchildren to suggest that their grandparents shouldn't have a say in who governs us is completely dusgusting IMO. Encouraging the younger generation to get out and vote is one thing, but to completely disregard the rights of others to do likewise is something else, and a new all time socially divisive low.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Corneliousrooster wrote:How exactly do you feel the elderly are being "slammed"? i just don't see it......

+1
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

NAB wrote:
You seem to be missing the point Ranger. Most Grandparents don't usually have any desire to try to influence who their grandchildren date. But for any grandchildren to suggest that their grandparents shouldn't have a say in who governs us is completely dusgusting IMO. Encouraging the younger generation to get out and vote is one thing, but to completely disregard the rights of others to do likewise is something else, and a new all time socially divisive low.

Nab

+1
__________________________________________________________________________________________

nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

NAB wrote: But for any grandchildren to suggest that their grandparents shouldn't have a say in who governs us is completely dusgusting IMO. Encouraging the younger generation to get out and vote is one thing, but to completely disregard the rights of others to do likewise is something else, and a new all time socially divisive low.
Nab

What?! It's just saying younger people should vote to have their say too. It does not say that the elder generation's vote shouldn't count.
Last edited by nolanrh on Apr 4th, 2011, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
How exactly do you feel the elderly are being "slammed"? i just don't see it......

I already answered that question.

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

nolanrh wrote:
NAB wrote:Fair enough nibs, good idea to focus on specific issues and as a "senior" myself I am quite willing to enter into a conversation about our particular problems and where our vote may be best placed in this election.

Oh man.

And you have a problem with that quote from another thread and entirely different topic how nolan?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Because it illustrates exactly what this poster is about. The elder generations will vote in their best interests. The younger generations' best interests may not align with the elder generations'. The elder generation WILL vote. Therefore, the younger generations should vote or their interests will be unrepresented.
Last edited by nolanrh on Apr 4th, 2011, 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

The top priorities for our country differ from one generation to another and all voices should be heard come election day. If this poster will get younger voters to the polls then that's great IMO. I see nothing offensive about it.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

nolanrh wrote:
NAB wrote: But for any grandchildren to suggest that their grandparents shouldn't have a say in who governs us is completely dusgusting IMO. Encouraging the younger generation to get out and vote is one thing, but to completely disregard the rights of others to do likewise is something else, and a new all time socially divisive low.
Nab

What?! It's just saying younger people should vote to have their say too. It does not say that the elder generation's vote shouldn't count.

Of course it doesn't, but it strongly infers it. The "it's all about me, me, me, now, now, now" crowd is hard at work it seems. Unlike the elder generations (the grandparents) who, for the most part, want only what is best for their kids and grandkids, and most often vote that way. That they often see it as a majority Conservative government at the present time is simply testimony to their comparative experience and vision compared to the younger set.

Nab

Return to “Federal Election 2011”