Interesting poster

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Interesting poster

Post by Corneliousrooster »

NAB wrote: But when it reaches a point where that challenge smacks of a willingness to cast the elders out in an effort to increase benefits to themselves,

See, i don't read that into the poster. If anything it is telling the youth to pull their own pants up and get out and vote instead of letting your grandparents do all the political legwork.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I get the feeling that the older voters don't want the younger ones voting because they would not neccessarily vote for the party the older generation would. Is it that you don't want to risk a large voting population disagreeing with YOUR vote and your party not getting into office? Us younger people get awful tired hearing that we're wrong because we want to run our country differently than you do.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

jennylives wrote:I get the feeling that the older voters don't want the younger ones voting because they would not neccessarily vote for the party the older generation would. Is it that you don't want to risk a large voting population disagreeing with YOUR vote and your party not getting into office? Us younger people get awful tired hearing that we're wrong because we want to run our country differently than you do.

Interesting point jenny, and reinforces what I have been trying to get at.. Since when did it beome just "your" country (as in "Us younger generation..." ..want to run our country differently than you do. )? (Edit: ...which, incidentally, is largely what led to the mess created by the Trudeau Liberals years).

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Apr 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It belongs to all of us. It just happens your demographic is heard more so a poster was put out trying to encourage the voices of the younger ones in a way that would draw their attention, that's it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

For the older generation commenting on here it really seems that you view this as an "US" and "THEM" conflict.

This is MY country whether I am old, young or somewhere in the middle. Therefore "OUR COUNTRY" infers to the country we share collectively -

I know it is really confusing now that Harper has decided to claim the government of Canada as his (Harper Gov't) so now everyone that speaks of Canada in the "our" sense must be referring specifically to their demographics motivations.

not matter what party or age demographic holds power it is still "OUR" country (even if you didn't vote for that party)

Yes Nab - if the NDP got in :dyinglaughing: it would STILL be YOUR country too!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I think people find the slogan insulting because of the poor analogy. ie. you don't let your grandparents have an equal vote deciding your date.
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 4th, 2011, 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

jennylives wrote:It belongs to all of us. It just happens your demographic is heard more so a poster was put out trying to encourage the voices of the younger ones in a way that would draw their attention, that's it.

Well, then, it's a very sad testimony as to what it takes to "encourage the voices of the younger one's" these days. Fortunately, I have more faith in the abilities of the really young one's to make well thought through choices than I do the abilities of many of those more in the lower and mid middle of the age spectrum - ...who still haven't got it through their heads that the gravy train ran off the tracks some years ago.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote:I think the reason people find this poster insulting stems from the poor analogy. ie. you don't let your grandparents have an equal vote deciding your date.

Umm - most people don't let there grandparents have ANY vote in who they date (let alone equal vote)

And the grandparents should not be doing the voting for them in a federal election either - they (the youth) possess a valid vote and choose not to exercise it which gives the older generation a stronger voice by offering no opposition.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It is entirely possible that the older voice is heard more simply because there are more of them than there are of the younger ones.

As to which is right? Or which is the right way to vote?

I'm not prepared to answer that question, Nolan - whatever I answer will be wrong to somebody. My political and social views are all over these forums - you didn't need to ask it again in this thread to provide an opportunity for someone to slam me personally. This isn't about me ... or you. It's about a political poster that has every appearance of being from Elections Canada - and that brings up another point - if it is not from Elections Canada, then it is irresponsible to make it look like it is.

If the message is to get young voters out, then I can think of numerous ways to word it so that it is not insulting to any age group.

Why do you suppose young people are not voting? Perhaps THOSE are the issues they should focus on, not the grandparent statement.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Couple things.

No, I don't think elections Canada had any part in this poster. As I said, a friend had it up on their facebook wall so I'm not even sure where it came from.

I did not see it as an attack on the older generation at all. I saw it as more of a call to vote for the younger generation, who have not been inclined to vote in the past in as great of numbers as the older folks (and I do consider myself somewhat in between, although I feel old today as yesterday was my birthday).

But at least it sparked a conversation :)
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
Yes Nab - if the NDP got in :dyinglaughing: it would STILL be YOUR country too!

Ya, I suppose Corny. Problem is, I think in very short order it wouldn't be worth having any more (at least what little share of it I may still qualify for as a senior).

Nab
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

NAB wrote:Well, then, it's a very sad testimony as to what it takes to "encourage the voices of the younger one's" these days

AGREED! most of the youth have simply given in to the notion they they don't matter, their vote doesn't matter so why bother, nothing will change (which has been the same sentiments I have heard repeatedly from my generation and the generation before me) Voter turnouts have steadily declined with each generation.

Now there are some new (ingenuitive/desperate depending on your perspective) attempts to try and ignite a spark in a demographic that IS OUR FUTURE and doesn't give a rats *bleep* as to what their vote may or may not do.

Pretty scary if you ask me.... this is what the last few generations has inspired in our youth
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

“Most older voters appear to support more fiscally responsible decisions”

“Canada’s federal debt grew steadily between 5% and 10% per year until 1975. For the next 12 years it grew on average over 20% per year. It surpassed $100 billion in 1981, $200 billion in 1985, $300 billion in 1988, $400 billion in 1992, and $500 billion in 1994. It peaked at $563 billion in 1997”

The fiscally responsible decisions that were made by “the grandparents” have given us this problem. We are all to blame as we voted in the parties that did this (both blue and red). Just maybe “the kids of today “have learned from our mistakes and can vote us out of this mess.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Ranger66 wrote:Just maybe “the kids of today “have learned from our mistakes and can vote us out of this mess.

Problem is most kids of today think voting is what got us into this mess so its not really viewed as a solution.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Happy Birthday to ya, Tacklewasher.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”