Interesting poster

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Interesting poster

Post by NAB »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
NAB wrote:Well, then, it's a very sad testimony as to what it takes to "encourage the voices of the younger one's" these days

AGREED! ... .....Pretty scary if you ask me.... this is what the last few generations has inspired in our youth

I don't think it has anything to do with that Corny. Rather, I think our youth of voting age are generally very uncertain as to a course to follow, and our politicians are not making it particularly easy for them to decide, ....perhaps even fearful of making a choice and it turning out to be a very bad one in the longer term sense. One for which they will not only be held responsible and accountable, but one that their generation will ultimately be called on to deal with as leaders and taxpayers. Much the way I suppose that the boomer generation is now having to deal with the mess they caused through the sixties and the seventies under the Trudeau Liberals. (Edit to add: A bad mistake I might add that the Ignatieff Liberals seem poised to repeat should they gain power).

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Apr 4th, 2011, 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
Ranger66 wrote:Just maybe “the kids of today “have learned from our mistakes and can vote us out of this mess.

Problem is most kids of today think voting is what got us into this mess so its not really viewed as a solution.

So how do they think not voting will improve anything?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

NAB wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:
NAB wrote:Well, then, it's a very sad testimony as to what it takes to "encourage the voices of the younger one's" these days

AGREED! ... .....Pretty scary if you ask me.... this is what the last few generations has inspired in our youth

I don't think it has anything to do with that Corny. Rather, I think our youth are generally very uncertain as to a course to follow, and our politicians are not making it particularly easy for them to decide, ....perhaps even fearful *bleep* making a choice and it turning out to be a very bad one in the longer term sense. One for which they will not only be held responsible and accountable, but one that their generation will ultimately be called on to deal with as leaders and taxpayers. Much the way I suppose that the boomer generation is now having to deal with the mess they caused through the sixties and the seventies under the Trudeau Liberals.

Nab

Am not 100% sure the Boomers can be held solely accountable for the votes in the 60s and 70s ... there was an older generation voting at that time, too.

Although, I have to admit I was not prone to following the Trudeaumania and all that followed from that foolishness over the years. I was 16 when Trudeau was first setting out to brainwash the masses and was asked at that time to organize the youth rally for him in Kelowna. I said no then and I am still saying no to many of the Liberal policies.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

So how do they think not voting will improve anything?

I don’t, what we need is a good thought provoking poster that will get people talking about the vote and direct it at the young voters.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Ranger66 wrote:So how do they think not voting will improve anything?

I don’t, what we need is a good thought provoking poster that will get people talking about the vote and direct it at the young voters.

Good plan! Somebody should try that.

Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

grammafreddy wrote:
Ranger66 wrote:So how do they think not voting will improve anything?

Good plan! Somebody should try that.

And someone should post it here so we can discuss it...............................

:dyinglaughing:
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

grammafreddy wrote:So how do they think not voting will improve anything?

I am not saying that - I am saying the "will to vote" has been extinguished in the youth. The youth feel there is no power in there vote (much like their parents and those around them spout off quite frequently)

The last election, my workplace that was a broad spectrum of ages, was a great place to sort of feel the pulse of the voting public. Most of the people were not voting and couldn't care less - they had given up on the system "whats the point?"
There were some very conservative leaners that thought the left were idiots.....and there were some lefties that thought the conservatives were idiots. Most of the watercooler talk was amongst people 50+ (I say MOST, there were exceptions) - Most of the youth would avoid or gladly change the subject when brought up, they were indifferent and ignorant on the issues and the process - they did not care.

We can let them not vote or we can try to instill a desire to be a part of the process. This poster may not be the ideal from of motivation for the older generation, but it speaks in a humorous way to the younger generation

i don't recommend most of you offended by the humor of this poster to watch any of the comedic offering from hollywood targeted at this demographic - I don't think you would share the same sense of humor . You don't get "the joke" in the poster because you were not the target audience - somehow you have elected to make yourself the butt of it even though I think if you asked most young people if they thought the poster was offensive to their grandparents they would tell you it was not.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

NAB wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with that Corny. Rather, I think our youth of voting age are generally very uncertain as to a course to follow, and our politicians are not making it particularly easy for them to decide, ....perhaps even fearful of making a choice and it turning out to be a very bad one in the longer term sense. One for which they will not only be held responsible and accountable, but one that their generation will ultimately be called on to deal with as leaders and taxpayers. Much the way I suppose that the boomer generation is now having to deal with the mess they caused through the sixties and the seventies under the Trudeau Liberals. (Edit to add: A bad mistake I might add that the Ignatieff Liberals seem poised to repeat should they gain power).

Nab

The faith is being lost in the whole system. I think you are giving the 18 year olds far too much credit in your descriptive reasoning as to why they are not voting. I am sure being fearful of putting an X by the wrong name and the future repercussions it may hold is not holding back too many voters that would have had the motivation to go vote.

The democracy they taught us in highschool as to what democracy was and how it works is a far cry from what is demonstarted on parliament hill. As of right now i do not see an alternative to this system, but I certainly have no trouble seeing why the youth feel their vote has no value. The votes of our MP's don't even have any value - its a giant puppet show. i think the youth just might see through it all and do to a lack of options provided by previous generations they opt out. Apathy is almost on the same level as the beaver as a representation of our country.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Overboard here guys, I can't see any slight here. Just the fact that our seniors (forum members) are insulted just goes to show IMO there IS a disconnect between the older gens and younger.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Not quite a senior but wasn't insulted in the least by the poster. Have ongoing political discussions with both rugrats since they became eligible to vote and how the results affect them. Bottom line is neither have missed voting in a municipal, provincial or federal election and vote for the person/party they feel best represents their views.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

This here senior, thinks that the response to the poster is way overboard. It may not be in the best of taste, but it ain't no big deal. & if it gets the younguns voting, the greens will win hands down. The under 25's are a bright and caring lot and good on em.
We're lost but we're making good time.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

strwbrrydvl wrote:The top priorities for our country differ from one generation to another and all voices should be heard come election day. If this poster will get younger voters to the polls then that's great IMO. I see nothing offensive about it.

Ditto.

Nibs wrote:This here senior, thinks that the response to the poster is way overboard. It may not be in the best of taste, but it ain't no big deal. & if it gets the younguns voting, the greens will win hands down. The under 25's are a bright and caring lot and good on em.

You just made me wish I was one of the under 25s, but I'm happy to be one of the under 30s still!! :sunshine:

That's a great poster, since it is definitely provoking discussion.. Thanks for passing it on Tacklewasher. :)
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
Glacier wrote:I think the reason people find this poster insulting stems from the poor analogy. ie. you don't let your grandparents have an equal vote deciding your date.

Umm - most people don't let there grandparents have ANY vote in who they date (let alone equal vote)

But they have an equal vote in choosing the government. Of course the intent and proper interpretation equates "your personal vote" for with "who you choose for a date", but I can certainly see why people, at first glance, can easily react with a, "hey wait a minute, I have an equal say in choosing the government."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:
Glacier wrote:I think the reason people find this poster insulting stems from the poor analogy. ie. you don't let your grandparents have an equal vote deciding your date.

Umm - most people don't let there grandparents have ANY vote in who they date (let alone equal vote)

But they have an equal vote in choosing the government. Of course the intent and proper interpretation equates "your personal vote" for with "who you choose for a date", but I can certainly see why people, at first glance, can easily react with a, "hey wait a minute, I have an equal say in choosing the government."

But the light is being cast on the youth for not utilizing that equal vote - it is not trying to say that the grandparents should have no vote or that their vote is unworthy. All it is saying to the youth is that they have a vote too - so USE IT!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

True, but I was merely attempting to point out that the tone is combative even if that's not the intent.
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 5th, 2011, 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Federal Election 2011”