How do you decide who to vote for?

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Re: How do you decide who to vote for?

Post by Bagotricks »

flamingfingers wrote:Who to vote for? Maybe this will help:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on……

If a conservative doesn’t like guns, he doesn’t buy one.
If a liberal doesn’t like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn’t eat meat.
If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Liberals demand that those they don’t like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church.
A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it’s a foreign religion, of course!)

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative reads this, he’ll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
A liberal will delete it because he’s “offended.”

:sillygrin:

Conservatives opposed practically every positive social change to society in the last 150 or so years.

Slavery, giving women the right to vote, from allowing people with AIDS in public, allowing "coloured" people stand at the front of the bus, social medical care, social welfare, pensions, the 40 hour work week and all those things we call essential to the fabric of society - were all opposed by Conservatives.

Whats next on the opposition block?

Keep on patting yourself on the back and making Granola jokes.

"A liberal" can also read a history book.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

I pick the party that best suits my views and vote for the local MP running for that party.

Voting for a MP strictly based on "the MP and how you view him' is like buying a car because you like the salesman.

Who cares if its a Yugo - the salesman said he would take care of me and was really nice and trustworthy!
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Bagotricks wrote:Conservatives opposed practically every positive social change to society in the last 150 or so years.

Slavery, giving women the right to vote, from allowing people with AIDS in public, allowing "coloured" people stand at the front of the bus, social medical care, social welfare, pensions, the 40 hour work week and all those things we call essential to the fabric of society - were all opposed by Conservatives.

Whats next on the opposition block?

Keep on patting yourself on the back and making Granola jokes.

"A liberal" can also read a history book.

How strange. I was just reading the Conservative party of Canada website... I didn't find any reference to any of this.
Where are you getting your "facts"?

I call slagging and fear mongering.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Yesterday I told my DH, "You know for the first time in my life, I might just have to vote Conservative!" (Same reasons essentially as SLloyd posted.) DH replied to me, "That's funny, last evening I was thinking the same thing...and it will be the first time in my life I have ever voted for someone who actually gets in!"

There simply is no worthy alternative and there are times when best to stick with the :1419: that you know!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Amarow121 wrote:How strange. I was just reading the Conservative party of Canada website... I didn't find any reference to any of this.
Where are you getting your "facts"?

I call slagging and fear mongering.

That's because both posts are referring to small 'c' conservatives and small 'l' liberals. They do not refer to the Conservative Party of Canada or the Liberal Party of Canada.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Canada weathered this economic storm because of strong banking regulation and a resource rich economy, not because the Conservatives did anything wonderful. Though, I admit they were definitely competent. However, you can damn well bet that high up on any Conservative agenda is the relaxation of banking regulation.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I have to challenge that notion nolan. Conservatives (as well as most other parties) know full well that it is our banking and regulatory structure that has largely been responsible for Canada being able to come out of this recession/depression in much better shape than the rest. Hopefully, no one in their right mind (Conservatives least of all) are going to mess with that strength. It is a worry however that a non-conservative government might toss aside efforts to shorten the period of recovery from deficits and increasing public debt without significantly increasing taxation and/or undermining our resources sector strength in some form.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

NAB wrote:I have to challenge that notion nolan. Conservatives (as well as most other parties) know full well that it is our banking and regulatory structure that has largely been responsible for Canada being able to come out of this recession/depression in much better shape than the rest. Hopefully, no one in their right mind (Conservatives least of all) are going to mess with that strength. It is a worry however that a non-conservative government might toss aside efforts to shorten the period of recovery from deficits and increasing public debt without significantly increasing taxation and/or undermining our resources sector strength in some form.

Nab
I've heard Flaherty talk about the banking regulations and how they helped us weather the storm. Quite right, Nab, that the government is not going to mess with what's worked. You're also quite right that a greater worry is the prospect of a new government which would take us off of our present course. However, this government needs to look again at those jets and come up with a new plan and I'd also like to see them prod the corporations receiving the tax cuts to put the saved money into the economy. If the Conservatives can let people know they're doing those things they might well get a majority.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Urbane wrote:
    NAB wrote:I have to challenge that notion nolan. Conservatives (as well as most other parties) know full well that it is our banking and regulatory structure that has largely been responsible for Canada being able to come out of this recession/depression in much better shape than the rest. Hopefully, no one in their right mind (Conservatives least of all) are going to mess with that strength. It is a worry however that a non-conservative government might toss aside efforts to shorten the period of recovery from deficits and increasing public debt without significantly increasing taxation and/or undermining our resources sector strength in some form.

Nab
I've heard Flaherty talk about the banking regulations and how they helped us weather the storm. Quite right, Nab, that the government is not going to mess with what's worked. You're also quite right that a greater worry is the prospect of a new government which would take us off of our present course. However, this government needs to look again at those jets and come up with a new plan and I'd also like to see them prod the corporations receiving the tax cuts to put the saved money into the economy. If the Conservatives can let people know they're doing those things they might well get a majority.

As I wrote with more detail elsewhere yesterday Urbane, those jets are largely a red herring issue that have little or nothing to do with this election and related budgetary considerations, and I have been forced to rethink my position on them. They are not even off the drawing board yet in terms of costing, and virtually all players, including the uSA, are having to rethink therir position on them. (They are not slated for purchase until 4 to 5 years out anyway) Our Defense Ministry will forced to rethink the whole thing over the next few years too, and that then will lead to a rethink by the government, even if it is a Conservative one.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

I am truly not liking anyone at this point, so I think my vote is going to go for all the dead pines in my neighbourhood to be cut down :sillygrin: It's a much easier thing.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote:
Urbane wrote:
    NAB wrote:I have to challenge that notion nolan. Conservatives (as well as most other parties) know full well that it is our banking and regulatory structure that has largely been responsible for Canada being able to come out of this recession/depression in much better shape than the rest. Hopefully, no one in their right mind (Conservatives least of all) are going to mess with that strength. It is a worry however that a non-conservative government might toss aside efforts to shorten the period of recovery from deficits and increasing public debt without significantly increasing taxation and/or undermining our resources sector strength in some form. Nab

As I wrote with more detail elsewhere yesterday Urbane, those jets are largely a red herring issue that have little or nothing to do with this election and related budgetary considerations, and I have been forced to rethink my position on them. They are not even off the drawing board yet in terms of costing, and virtually all players, including the uSA, are having to rethink therir position on them. (They are not slated for purchase until 4 to 5 years out anyway) Our Defense Ministry will forced to rethink the whole thing over the next few years too, and that then will lead to a rethink by the government, even if it is a Conservative one. Nab

Agree with everything stated here. Certainly implementing requirements for corporations in Canada to invest in Canadian economic growth is a good idea (something Layton suggested), although in redressing the neglect of previous Liberal governments further military spending in some form is going to be required (as is updating our prison infrastructure). In addition, I’d also like to see Harper take a step back and give more thoughtful and prudent consideration to his “get tough on crime” agenda. Obviously most of us agree that some changes need to be made within our criminal justice system, but ignoring research and going off on half-baked hit and miss strategies that could prove to be disastrous, both socially and fiscally, just does not make sense. It would also help if Harper made some effort to be a bit more open and approachable in his dealings with the public and the media. But then again, what other credible choice is there?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

A pretty little girl named Suzy was standing on the sidewalk in front of her home. Next to her was a basket containing a number of tiny creatures; in her hand was a sign announcing FREE KITTENS.

Suddenly a line of big black cars pulled up beside her. Out of the lead car stepped a tall, grinning man.
"Hi there little girl, I'm Mr. Ignatieff. What do you have in the basket?" he asked.

"Kittens," little Suzy said.

"How old are they?" asked Ignatieff
Suzy replied, "They're so young, their eyes aren't even open yet."

"And what kind of kittens are they?"

"Liberals," answered Suzy with a smile.

Ignatieff was delighted. As soon as he returned to his car, he called his PR chief and told him about the little girl and the kittens.

Recognizing the perfect photo op, the two men agreed that Mr Ignatieff should return the next day; and in front of the assembled media, have the girl talk about her discerning kittens..

So the next day, Suzy was again standing on the sidewalk with her basket of "FREE KITTENS," when another motorcade pulled up, this time followed by vans from CBC, CTV, and CNN.

Cameras and audio equipment were quickly set up, then Ignatieff got out of his limo and walked over to little Suzy.

"Hello, again," he said, "I'd love it if you would tell all my friends out there what kind of kittens you're giving away."

"Yes sir," Suzy said. "They're CONSERVATIVES."

Taken by surprise, Mr. Ignatieff stammered, "But... but... yesterday, you told me they were LIBERALS."

Little Suzy smiled and said, "I know. But today, they have their eyes open!"
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
NAB wrote:
Urbane wrote:
    NAB wrote:I have to challenge that notion nolan. Conservatives (as well as most other parties) know full well that it is our banking and regulatory structure that has largely been responsible for Canada being able to come out of this recession/depression in much better shape than the rest. Hopefully, no one in their right mind (Conservatives least of all) are going to mess with that strength. It is a worry however that a non-conservative government might toss aside efforts to shorten the period of recovery from deficits and increasing public debt without significantly increasing taxation and/or undermining our resources sector strength in some form. Nab

As I wrote with more detail elsewhere yesterday Urbane, those jets are largely a red herring issue that have little or nothing to do with this election and related budgetary considerations, and I have been forced to rethink my position on them. They are not even off the drawing board yet in terms of costing, and virtually all players, including the uSA, are having to rethink therir position on them. (They are not slated for purchase until 4 to 5 years out anyway) Our Defense Ministry will forced to rethink the whole thing over the next few years too, and that then will lead to a rethink by the government, even if it is a Conservative one. Nab

Agree with everything stated here. Certainly implementing requirements for corporations in Canada to invest in Canadian economic growth is a good idea (something Layton suggested), although in redressing the neglect of previous Liberal governments further military spending in some form is going to be required (as is updating our prison infrastructure). In addition, I’d also like to see Harper take a step back and give more thoughtful and prudent consideration to his “get tough on crime” agenda. Obviously most of us agree that some changes need to be made within our criminal justice system, but ignoring research and going off on half-baked hit and miss strategies that could prove to be disastrous, both socially and fiscally, just does not make sense. It would also help if Harper made some effort to be a bit more open and approachable in his dealings with the public and the media. But then again, what other credible choice is there?

One thing we have to think about steven, is that Harper is still the Prime Minister of Canada and, unlike the other leaders, is due some enhanced security because of his critical position.

Nab
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

For me it is a no-brainer…given the insane spending promises coming out of both the Layton and Iggy camps the Conservatives become an even more obvious choice for me. Layton had sadly decided to make insane announcements simply because he knows he will never be the PM and as such can (and now is) basically saying whatever the hell he feels like. Personally I wish that all candidates would run a campaign as if they really did have a chance of becoming the PM what would be a realistic platform as opposed to spending massive amounts of money that does not exist.
Back with a vengeance
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Al Czervic wrote:For me it is a no-brainer…given the insane spending promises coming out of both the Layton and Iggy camps the Conservatives become an even more obvious choice for me. Layton had sadly decided to make insane announcements simply because he knows he will never be the PM and as such can (and now is) basically saying whatever the hell he feels like. Personally I wish that all candidates would run a campaign as if they really did have a chance of becoming the PM what would be a realistic platform as opposed to spending massive amounts of money that does not exist.

x2
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Federal Election 2011”