Independent Conservative Upshaw

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
MyDevice

Independent Conservative Upshaw

Post by MyDevice »

Anyone get a chance to meet Sean Upshaw? I ran into him and was relieved to meet someone with enough passion to step up to the challenge. For anyone that doesn't know he is running as an Independent Conservative for the Okanagan Coquihalla Riding. It might just be me but having the small insider groups controlling and running the show kinda makes me feel a little less free, they're not worried about what I think, their agenda is already full. I'm forsure up for giving a real world man my voice in Ottawa. Any thoughts?

Heres a link: http://seanupshaw.tumblr.com/
MyDevice

Independent Conservative Upshaw?

Post by MyDevice »

Anyone get a chance to meet Sean Upshaw? I ran into him and was relieved to meet someone with enough passion to step up to the challenge. For anyone that doesn't know he is running as an Independent Conservative for the Okanagan Coquihalla Riding. It might just be me but having the small insider groups controlling and running the show kinda makes me feel a little less free, they're not worried about what I think, their agenda is already full. I'm forsure up for giving a real world man my voice in Ottawa. Any thoughts?

Heres a link: http://seanupshaw.tumblr.com/
newsboy1

Re: Independent Conservative Upshaw

Post by newsboy1 »

Mr Upshaw is not the Conservative candidate. The party has picked Dan Albas and that decision is final. For someone who believes in the conservative philosophy voting for an independent with the word conservative in their advertising will only end in vote splitting. If there was an independennt liberal or an independent NDP candidate the result would do the same. Whatever party you support the only way you can achieve a positive result is to vote for that specific candidate in your riding, it's how our system works. If you don't like the process in which a candidate is picked then that is an entirely different matter.
Al Czervic
Guru

Re: Independent Conservative Upshaw?

Post by Al Czervic »

I didn’t care much for all his whining in the media when he failed to get in line for Stockwell Day’s job. I have zero time for whiners and negative people. So far he has come across as both.
Back with a vengeance
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

I ran into Sean Upshaw outside the Westbank Superstore last week. I had no idea who he was and he walked right up to me and give me one of his cards. I respect his ambition and willingness to put himself out there. I've lived in the riding for six years and this is the first time I've ever seen a candidate in person during an election.

This Conservative riding has had it's share of problems with the nomination process. There was that accusation that Stockwell Day bought the riding from the person who was elected before him. I realize the accusation was never proven and labeled a Liberal smear. But it doesn't help when you hear of more problems with the nomination process all over again with new people.

I have no idea who I'm going to vote for this election. Being a moderate voter the platform of neither Conservative candidate appeals to me. I do wish Mr. Upshaw the best of luck as he seemed like a nice enough guy.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I'm not likely to vote Conservative, independent or shackled, but I commend Upshaw and anyone for taking on their party machines. They rarely win, but so what. We the people of all stripes need to break the hold of the professionals and the operators and strategists on the parties we tend to support. The way politics is now played in B.C. and Canada, I can only shake my head when people bemoan the dropping election turnout rates and the disinterest evidenced by young people, and profess not to know why. Where's their brains? Who wants or needs to participate in a crooked, fraudulent process, over and over again. The general populace needs some say (primaries, e.g.) in who is nominated; there needs to be some legal mandamus that election promises are enforceable. People need more legal access to party strategy, et al, during an election to know what the successful party is really going to do.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Who said the process was crooked or fraudulent ? In this case Rusty Ensign had no problem meeting the deadlines and Upshaw was basically crying sour grapes and being a whiner because he couldn’t get his *bleep* together in time to file for the race. I have no time for whiners and complainers. That said, although he got off to a negative start hopefully he can come up with some positive ideas on why he thinks he should be sent to Ottawa but so far the guy get’s a negative rating in my books.
Back with a vengeance
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

so he thinks potentially splitting the conservative vote will put him in Harper or anyone else's good books? What if that results in the liberal candidate winning in an historically Conservative riding? The guy seems like a bit of an idiot who just wants power for himself. He should support the conservative candidate unless he has different values then join another party.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

CJT84 wrote:so he thinks potentially splitting the conservative vote will put him in Harper or anyone else's good books? What if that results in the liberal candidate winning in an historically Conservative riding? The guy seems like a bit of an idiot who just wants power for himself. He should support the conservative candidate unless he has different values then join another party.

I don’t think that Upshall could split a peanut at this point, where is his campaign? In week one it was whining and sour grapes and week number two he is nowhere to be found. The guy clearly has no advertising budget which in turn likely means he has next to no supporters out there. If he was a successful realtor he would be all about self promotion and be up on using signs and marketing. To date the guy even seems to lack those skills. Basically I think he is someone who needs to find a new job……
Back with a vengeance
oldnewsguy

Post by oldnewsguy »

I was accosted by this clown at the West Kelowna Home Show.
He asked me if I'd heard about him "in the Media".
I said "yes, and I'm not buying your story!"
So what does, "I want to represent the people of Okanagan-Coquihalla" do?
Waits till he thinks I'm out of earshot and makes a snide remark to his female attendant about what he presumes to be
my political bent.
The last thing we need from this riding is someone, who apparently, is not prepared to accept points of view other than their own.
Far as I'm concerned the Kelowna/West Kelowna media has given this guy far more publicity than he deserves. But then most of the paper hacks in this town will print anything that is handed to them.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

"The last thing we need from this riding is someone, who apparently, is not prepared to accept points of view other than their own."

Isn’t that what being in the Harper government is all about? Really this guy feels hard done by and is exercising his democratic right. You may not like it and he may be a clown but people died so we could stand up be and be stalwart in the path of adversity.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

I understand that Sean Upshaw is running because he diagreed with the nomination process. I saw that Dietrich Wittel is running as a second Conservative independent. Apparently he threw his name into the ring this morning to also run for office.

I got the information from peachlandnews.com (http://peachlandnews.com/blog/2011/04/13/six-candidates-confirmed-for-okanagan-coquihalla/) that there are a total of 6 candidates confirmed for the Okanagan-Coquihalla riding.

I'm not really sure what to say about the Conservative nomination process but I'm a bit surprised there are now 2 independent Conservatives. With so many landslide victories in previous elections for Stockwell Day, the vote count might be closer than what constituents are used to. You got vote splitting on both the left and right this time around.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

acidrain wrote:I'm not really sure what to say about the Conservative nomination process but I'm a bit surprised there are now 2 independent Conservatives. With so many landslide victories in previous elections for Stockwell Day, the vote count might be closer than what constituents are used to. You got vote splitting on both the left and right this time around.

It is probably one of the safest Conservative seats in the entire country (why do you think they parachuted Stockwell Day there in the first place ?) so it is NO surprise that all kinds of Conservatives (including so called independents - who in reality are simply the rejects...) are crawling all over the woodpile looking to land that seat. You could run a dog in that riding with a Conservative leash on it and still get it elected….
Back with a vengeance
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Al Czervic wrote:You could run a dog in that riding with a Conservative leash on it and still get it elected….

rather vote for a damn dog then some of these twits

Return to “Federal Election 2011”