Real things Harper has said

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Real things Harper has said

Post by grumpydigger »

Neroicco

Re: Real Things Harper has said

Post by Neroicco »

Nice link...
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

lol thats hilarious!
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

"You are trying to access a PlanetLab node, but the service seems to be overloaded at the moment. Please try again. "
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Ignatieff has said some interesting things about Canada:

‘Bogus’ peacekeeping?
It wasn’t long ago that Michael Ignatieff had harsh words for Canada
by Martin Patriquin on Friday, July 17, 2009
Michael Ignatieff, Liberal leader, is lavish in his adoration for the country and the people he wishes to lead. His recently published book, True Patriot Love, which dovetailed with his ascension to the Liberal party leadership, is replete with fuzzy bromides about Canada and its “quietly but intensely patriotic” citizens.

Yet Michael Ignatieff, Harvard professor and public intellectual, was once slightly more harsh toward his native land. Following a 2005 lecture at the University of Dublin’s Trinity College, Ignatieff excoriated Canadians for trading on Canada’s “entirely bogus reputation as peacekeepers” for 40 years and for favouring “hospitals and schools and roads” over international citizenship. “If you are a human rights defender and you want something done to stop [a] massacre, you have to go to the Pentagon, because no one else is serious,” Ignatieff said.

“It’s disgusting in my own country, and I love my country, Canada, but they would rather *bleep* about their rich neighbour to the south than actually pay the note,” he said, in response to a question about peacekeeping. “To pay the bill to be an international citizen is not something that they want to do.”

Ignatieff gave the lecture while he was director of Harvard’s Carr Center for Human Rights Policy. The talk, which received brief mention in Canadian media at the time, reiterated Ignatieff’s belief that the U.S. is a force for good in the world. “Don’t forget that the speech given by a U.S. president that most committed the United States to the promotion of human rights and democracy in the Arab world was given by George W. Bush,” he said. He later told the Irish Times that he was taken aback by the “waves of anti-American and anti-Bush feeling in an Irish audience.” It was in the question-and-answer session which followed, and which has never been reported, that Ignatieff was most critical of Canada.

He was also seemingly at odds with the party he would come to lead four years later. Peacekeeping is the stuff of lore within the Liberal party, which bills itself as the founding father of Canada’s traditional role as a peaceful international referee to the world. As Liberal external affairs minister, Lester B. Pearson is credited with inventing the very concept when he championed the first armed United Nations peacekeeping force in 1956. “There tends to be a strong association with peacekeeping” within the Liberal party, says author and former Liberal strategist John Duffy. “Liberals are proud of their role in this tradition.”

Ignatieff, circa 2005, begged to differ. Introduced by Trinity College professor Ron Hill as “a challenging liberal thinker,” Ignatieff spoke favourably about America’s peacekeeping capabilities and the need to use “men with guns” when protecting the world’s vulnerable. Ignatieff had already backed away from his support of the Iraq war when he gave the speech, though he still praised George W. Bush’s foreign policy at a time when then-Liberal prime minister Paul Martin was attacking Bush for what he said was the U.S. president’s lack of “global conscience.” Canada certainly didn’t fare well in Ignatieff’s speech; Ignatieff portrays the country as a somewhat frustrated, reflexively anti-American middling power that has become something of a pretender on the world stage.
http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/07/17/‘bogus’-peacekeeping/
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I keep clicking the "S__ Harper Did" button and every time a new supposedly bad thing pops up that Harper did, I say "Even with the idiotic left-wing spin, I still agree with the s___ Harper did!" Seriously - if this is all the Harper-haters can come up then a majority is on the way for him. Wow - F- for effort on this website.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

My sister sent me this link yesterday.

I took an hour or so to go through each "thing Harper did", and then read the news article.

In some cases, Harper was NOT even mentioned in the original article.
In some cases, looking at the news website that wrote the article as a whole determined that the people who wrote the stories and ran the site were paranoid anarchist types who hated all government not just conservatives....
In some cases the summary provided gave a totally different spin and perspective to a story....
I think the best example of that is the one about his _former_ advisor being a spokesperson for Taser. The Summery seems to imply that if you ever work for Harper or government, you should NEVER be able to take a job that might one day interact with government?

Kind of disappointing. I was hoping for a website that was actually thought provoking, and not just an affirmation for people who hate harper and can't do their own reading.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Amarow121 wrote:Kind of disappointing. I was hoping for a website that was actually thought provoking, and not just an affirmation for people who hate harper and can't do their own reading.

which sums up the militant left wing in this country perfectly - no thought involved, just a lot of hate.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

I'm stil waiting for a photoshop of Iggy as Iggy Stardust and the Economics form Mars.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

And I am still disappointed that Alice Hooper running for the Greens in Kelowna is not actually Alice Cooper.
I feel if Alice Cooper was running I would be obligated to vote for him! Alice Hooper however, she doesn't even LOOK like Alice Cooper....

Very disappointing.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Amarow121 wrote:Kind of disappointing. I was hoping for a website that was actually thought provoking, and not just an affirmation for people who hate harper and can't do their own reading.

which sums up the militant left wing in this country perfectly - no thought involved, just a lot of hate.

Perhaps militant is not the correct word when speaking of people on the left wing. I wouldn't say the left wing in this country is violent, nor aggressive enough to merit the use of such a word. I would hope from viewing this forum you have met a lot of left wing people who clearly have had some thought involved in their political decisions. Unless of course you're completely close minded - with no thought involved. The way I view it is like this, the left wing is there generally pointing out the flaws the right wing has. The right wing is there generally pointing out how stupid anyone on the left wing must be, all the while neither has anything meaningful to say.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

UnknownResident wrote:
Perhaps militant is not the correct word when speaking of people on the left wing. I wouldn't say the left wing in this country is violent, nor aggressive enough to merit the use of such a word. I would hope from viewing this forum you have met a lot of left wing people who clearly have had some thought involved in their political decisions. Unless of course you're completely close minded - with no thought involved. The way I view it is like this, the left wing is there generally pointing out the flaws the right wing has. The right wing is there generally pointing out how stupid anyone on the left wing must be, all the while neither has anything meaningful to say.

you are catching on to politics fast!! :dyinglaughing:
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

We're lost but we're making good time.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

As much as the only trick left in the opposition's bag of tricks appears to keep "hammering on Harper" over petty things, the polls tell a story that suggests not only is it not working as intended, but that it is working in Harpers favour. Now, if I interprete the following Compas report correctly, it is the first poll I have seen that not only projects a Harper majority government, but a LARGE or BIG Harper majority government. Seems to be coming largely at the cost of the Liberals declining, although some Bloc and Green declines contribute too - I suspect in favour of the NDP.

The rub seems to be that Ontario is turning its back on the Liberals under Ignatieff and producing a huge swing to the Conservatives as a result (which should be interesting considering the provincial Liberals in Ontario are in trouble too and the province likely to go Conservative on the provincial government front also), and there is an old belief that as goes Southern Ontario, so is likely to go the nation with Quebec as the main wild card - now not a guestimate of a Conservative minority, but rather how big the majority will be.

Other than trying to dig up more dirt and continue on the overly agressive and boring path that hasn't worked so far (so probably will not work any better going forward), there is little Iggy can come up with in his empty arsenal of tricks and script that is new enough to turn his fortunes. Many are now suggesting we watch to see what his campaign does in the next two weeks. If he shifts gears and moves into a mode where he is falling back to his Toronto area base and trying to protect as many existing Liberal seats as he can - then the assumption seems to be that he will have acknowledged the game is lost and he will go the way of Dion, except this time facing a Harper Tory Majority rather than a minority.

Nab

Compas poll link..
http://www.compas.ca/data/110413-Nation ... s-EPCB.pdf
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “Federal Election 2011”