A Rant Thread

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

A Rant Thread

Post by Lady tehMa »

I am basically creating this as a rant thread, so you can air your feelings about the election. This is NOT about the candidates or the parties.

en·nui   /ɑnˈwi, ˈɑnwi; Fr. ɑ̃ˈnwi/ Show Spelled
[ahn-wee, ahn-wee; Fr. ahn-nwee] Show IPA

–noun
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom: The endless lecture produced an unbearable ennui.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1660–70; < French: boredom; Old French enui displeasure; see annoy

—Synonyms
listlessness, tedium, lassitude, languor.

This, in a word, is how I feel about the whole election.

I'm tired of supposedly grown men (and women) squabbling like children. I'm tired of being treated like an idiot by those in charge, and by those who disagree with my political position.

We can't afford this election, and it shouldn't even be an issue.

This whole situation seems to bring out the worst in people, and it is disheartening to watch and to feel.
I haven't failed until I quit.
CJT84
Board Meister

Re: A Rant Thread

Post by CJT84 »

Lady tehMa wrote:I am basically creating this as a rant thread, so you can air your feelings about the election. This is NOT about the candidates or the parties.

en·nui   /ɑnˈwi, ˈɑnwi; Fr. ɑ̃ˈnwi/ Show Spelled
[ahn-wee, ahn-wee; Fr. ahn-nwee] Show IPA

–noun
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom: The endless lecture produced an unbearable ennui.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1660–70; < French: boredom; Old French enui displeasure; see annoy

—Synonyms
listlessness, tedium, lassitude, languor.

This, in a word, is how I feel about the whole election.

I'm tired of supposedly grown men (and women) squabbling like children. I'm tired of being treated like an idiot by those in charge, and by those who disagree with my political position.

We can't afford this election, and it shouldn't even be an issue.

This whole situation seems to bring out the worst in people, and it is disheartening to watch and to feel.

If you're tired of democracy, don't participate. It's your right to, but its not your obligation.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

It's isn't the democracy I object to, it is the juvenile behaviour of the parties, candidates, and voters. Is all the insulting, mudslinging and snide nastiness something they are simply unable to overcome? If so, I have little hope for our future regardless of the outcome.

What I would like to see is someone who rises above all this and behaves with decorum, decency, integrity and honour. But I won't hold my breath.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Read your signature ...LOL

But to some extent, I agree with you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My sig has to do with my outlook, though I wish I could impart that to others it doesn't work that way. I wish I could impress the qualities I admire upon the massess, but then there's that free choice thing. :127:

I do hope we get more voter turnout though. The backbiting increases with each election, yet it seems the voter turnout goes down?
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

I am mostly tired of the negative stupidity based attack advertising and the ongoing blatant political bias of the CBC. I am also growing increasingly weary of all of the partisan motivated leaks. I think it is pretty pathetic overall that the general theme of this election has not been about sharing a vision for Canada but more about trying to outsleaze the next guy and all kinds of efforts being made to try and create an embarrassing mistake on the part of your opponent. Of the horror should a candidate go off message and say six or seven words that are not politically correct. In short this has been the ugliest Canadian election I can remember and that applies to all parties. The Conservative “negative” attack advertising has been truly embarrassing. ALL Canadians should be demanding better of our respective political parties and that includes that human coach roach who has undermined the integrity of Sheila Fraser by leaking a non complete report that has not been officially signed off on. Although I am a card carrying Conservative I am at the point where as much as I want a Conservative majority, I would even be happy with a Liberal majority if it met the end of these “minority” governments…..
Back with a vengeance
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Al Czervic wrote:I am mostly tired of the negative stupidity based attack advertising and the ongoing blatant political bias of the CBC. I am also growing increasingly weary of all of the partisan motivated leaks. I think it is pretty pathetic overall that the general theme of this election has not been about sharing a vision for Canada but more about trying to outsleaze the next guy and all kinds of efforts being made to try and create an embarrassing mistake on the part of your opponent. Of the horror should a candidate go off message and say six or seven words that are not politically correct. In short this has been the ugliest Canadian election I can remember and that applies to all parties. The Conservative “negative” attack advertising has been truly embarrassing. ALL Canadians should be demanding better of our respective political parties and that includes that human coach roach who has undermined the integrity of Sheila Fraser by leaking a non complete report that has not been officially signed off on. Although I am a card carrying Conservative I am at the point where as much as I want a Conservative majority, I would even be happy with a Liberal majority if it met the end of these “minority” governments…..
Ditto. I agree with every word. Well said Al. I'm tired of the negativity, the leaks, and the media being more interested in sideshows rather than the issues. A majority of some sort is needed and I hope it happens on May 2nd.
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

What absolutely pisses me off and makes me have NO faith in our politics is that EVERY SINGLE TIME the oppositions even has a remote chance of forcing an election they do! Even though we end up right back where we started only more money in the hole.
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Russ79 wrote:What absolutely pisses me off and makes me have NO faith in our politics is that EVERY SINGLE TIME the oppositions even has a remote chance of forcing an election they do! Even though we end up right back where we started only more money in the hole.

And Ignatieff, who is at 17% in the poll about trust, looks at Stephen Harper, who is at 42% in the poll about trust, and says, "Canadians don't trust you . . ." And I still think that regardless of who wins the election Ignatieff may well become the next Prime Minister. He won't form a coalition but rather a minority government with the support of the other opposition parties. He will tell Canadians that is what they want because they don't trust Mr. Harper. We're in for quite the ride unless a majority is obtained by someone on May 2nd.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Yes I've had enough of the attack ads.
At first they were kind of fun because it was novel. And I enjoy bad animation (thanks NDP!).
I am both disappointed and relieved that the attack ads aren't as bad as the ones in the USA. I get some good chuckles from the hysterical and rude USA attack ads...

I think I've only heard one ad that actually explains what a party WILL DO should we elect them.
I'm referring to the Iggy one on Health care. Even then though, all he says is that health care is important, and that liberals think it's worth keeping. I suppose he's implying everyone else thinks Health care is crap or unimportant....

Ugg, so tired of political attack ads!
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

the best attack ad is still the legendary Lyndon Johnson ad against Barry Goldwater. It showed a young girl playing in a playground and then suddenly a nuke going off. No one even compares to Johnson for that kind of thing nowadays.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I will be sooooo glad when Monday has come and gone and this nonsense is done with. People are getting cranky all over the place about this . . .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Here's my rant to add to this:

You Weasel, you saw me looking at you in the crowd you MP and instead of coming over to say, 'vote for me" you ran and ran.

And why? I guess it was written all over my face that the KGH has patients in the hallways and you you weasel was part of that bunch that voted for a $42 Million GLASS DOME for the Parliament buildings. Should I name names Ron? You had your chance to explain but I guess I looked like in no mood to be mollified and you didn't want your fun time at the Global Village festival destroyed by truth and honesty. So good luck ever getting my vote. Oh ya, you never got it in the first place.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

Queen K wrote:Here's my rant to add to this:

You Weasel, you saw me looking at you in the crowd you MP and instead of coming over to say, 'vote for me" you ran and ran.

And why? I guess it was written all over my face that the KGH has patients in the hallways and you you weasel was part of that bunch that voted for a $42 Million GLASS DOME for the Parliament buildings. Should I name names Ron? You had your chance to explain but I guess I looked like in no mood to be mollified and you didn't want your fun time at the Global Village festival destroyed by truth and honesty. So good luck ever getting my vote. Oh ya, you never got it in the first place.

I heard they're naming the glass dome after the Conservatives platform - "Fiscally Responsible" :dyinglaughing:

Return to “Federal Election 2011”