Election Day

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Election Day

Post by oneh2obabe »

Gotcha ... guess I'll dig out the ole Sherlock Holmes hat and do some investigating.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

In some countries people get killed on their way to vote. Just consider it a building and cast your vote.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

I believe Elections Canada has to pay to rent whever they are setup, unless somewhere offers their space, which sounds like something a church might do. I'd prefer to vote somewhere other than a church, but if that's where I have to go, I'm not going to make a fuss about it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

normaM wrote:In some countries people get killed on their way to vote. Just consider it a building and cast your vote.

x2 - some perspective here please.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

If I buy a church to convert it to a home, they come and de-sanctify it (guess that means chase god out).

If they turn a church into a voting station does that mean they gotta chase god out of it too?
We're lost but we're making good time.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

normaM wrote:In some countries people get killed on their way to vote. Just consider it a building and cast your vote.

Yeah, well, this isn't one of those countries and nobody here is going to get killed going to vote. And THAT was NOT my point, fercrisakes!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

grammafreddy wrote:

Yeah, well, this isn't one of those countries and nobody here is going to get killed going to vote. And THAT was NOT my point, fercrisakes!

:127: I believe norma was just pointing out that you are overreacting on the point . . . you tend to be more than a little irrational when someone says "church".
I haven't failed until I quit.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Lady tehMa wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:

:127: I believe norma was just pointing out that you are overreacting on the point . . . you tend to be more than a little irrational when someone says "church".

Nice "little slam" - and I don't consider it irrational - I think anyone who follows any religious dogma needs their head looked at. My opinion is that religions rob people of intelligent thought and demand blind obedience and do it to gain power and wealth for their top henchmen. I also do not think any church or religious organization should have anything to do with governing a country - and vise versa.

My original post was asking if the government and Elections Canada were paying for these spaces in churches and why should they do that when we already fund schools and community halls where Canadians could go to vote instead of paying more to religious organizations - who should not be funded in any way by the people of Canada.

You people really need to learn to read better instead of reacting with your brainwashed brains.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I think you made your point GF. Is it ok to move on now? Talk politics with someone and you get in a fight. Talk religion and you get in a fight. Mix politics with religion? Now you have the middle east, and look how great that is going.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Churches provide a service to the govt in form of providing a space for public use.
They charge a fee for doing so.
What's wrong with that?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Churches provide a service to the govt in form of providing a space for public use.
What's wrong with that?

Why can't governments use schools and community centres instead of religious buildings? IMO governments should not fund religion - not even to rent their buildings. We already pay for the schools and the community centres and there are enough of them that we shouldn't have to wait in line too long to vote. The schools are in every part of the community so are handy to the voters.

Where I have to go to vote is way down on Springfield and Spall and yet I live up on the Rutland benches out near the airport. How intelligent is that? There's at least 10 schools and one community centre that's closer than that. In past elections I have voted at the school in Ellison, the Rutland Middle School and the Rutland Senior High as well as at the Rutland Centennial Hall.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:Why can't governments use schools and community centres instead of religious buildings? IMO governments should not fund religion - not even to rent their buildings. We already pay for the schools and the community centres and there are enough of them that we shouldn't have to wait in line too long to vote. The schools are in every part of the community so are handy to the voters.

Voting at schools would create problems for schools - after all, they're not closed on weekdays, churches are avaialble though. Schools might be less than happy about this arrangement. Community centers are not available enough - not a whole lot of them really. So, churches come as natural choice of convenience for everybody. And all of them have handicap access.

I see your point, but the reality is that churches are part of our life just like gas stations. Your ideology might support the idea of making them live in a bubble with no interaction with the public or govt in any shape or form, but it's not realistic.

Where I have to go to vote is way down on Springfield and Spall and yet I live up on the Rutland benches out near the airport. How intelligent is that?

Weird. I'm supposed to vote on Rutland Rd by Edyth Gay park.

You can always vote by mail, too.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Seriously folks, does it really matter where you vote? gf, if it bothers you so much that your blood pressure is rising because the government has the gall to rent church space, phone the number I provided earlier and get your mail-in ballot.

Problem solved and you won't come to any harm by entering a church.

I had relatives, as I'm sure you did too, who died in both world wars fighting for freedom and democracy. What kind of legacy are we showing them when we *bleep* 'n complain because you have to vote in a church? Sad state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Captain Awesome wrote:Churches provide a service to the govt in form of providing a space for public use.
What's wrong with that?

Not a damn thing.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Seriously folks, does it really matter where you vote? gf, if it bothers you so much that your blood pressure is rising because the government has the gall to rent church space, phone the number I provided earlier and get your mail-in ballot.

Problem solved and you won't come to any harm by entering a church.

I had relatives, as I'm sure you did too, who died in both world wars fighting for freedom and democracy. What kind of legacy are we showing them when we *bleep* 'n complain because you have to vote in a church? Sad state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your concern, H2O babe. There is nothing wrong with my blood pressure - y'all should have the numbers consistently as perfect as mine.

Funny you should equate "freedom" and "democracy" in with the same thought process as religion.

Your persistence that harm comes from entering a church is just kinda stupid. I already said that was not a concern. You really need some lessons in comprehension and reading. You have excelled in jumping to conclusions, though, and get top marks and get to go to the head of the class for that one.

I don't want a mail-in ballot. I want to go put my X on my ballot in a non-religious polling station.

Is anyone voting at the Sikh Temple or the Jewish Beth Shalom Synagogue or the Buddhist Temple? Or is Elections Canada just spending taxpayers' money supporting certain Christian religions?

Return to “Federal Election 2011”