Harper Government In Contempt of Parliament

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Harper Government In Contempt of Parliament

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:Focusing on absolutely decided voters, the breakdown reveals a probable seat counts that is a “clone” to the last makeup of the House of Commons.

So in other words - $400 million wasted for absolutely nothing. Thank you Taliban Jack and Iggyotic!!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Merry wrote:I would rather see a strong NDP opposition, than an opposition split between the Liberals and the NDP.

I get what you are saying, but if opinion is what we are going after here, then in my opinion in the NDP you have a more annoying opposition, that is for sure, with the yippy little dog Layton yapping away like he always does, but this doesn't mean it is any stronger. In fact, it may cause more people to tune out than tune in.

I disagree. Jack Layton appears to be commanding a lot more respect than Iggy lately, and I truly think that the NDP has a good shot this time around at forming the Official Opposition.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:
Merry wrote:I would rather see a strong NDP opposition, than an opposition split between the Liberals and the NDP.

I get what you are saying, but if opinion is what we are going after here, then in my opinion in the NDP you have a more annoying opposition, that is for sure, with the yippy little dog Layton yapping away like he always does, but this doesn't mean it is any stronger. In fact, it may cause more people to tune out than tune in.

I disagree. Jack Layton appears to be commanding a lot more respect than Iggy lately, and I truly think that the NDP has a good shot this time around at forming the Official Opposition.

I hope you are right. The best way to expose the NDP is to let them hang themselves. The true Taliban Jack has been hiding behind the petticoats of the Liberals for too long, saying truly stupid things all the while knowing that no one was taking him seriously anyway, or really listening. I predict that if you are right about the official opposition thing that you also will be sorely disappointed with your choice when people start having to actually listen to the yappy little dog.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

What should really be happening, is that Parliament should be in contempt of harpy.
We're lost but we're making good time.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

I get what you are saying, but if opinion is what we are going after here, then in my opinion in the NDP you have a more annoying opposition, that is for sure, with the yippy little dog Layton yapping away like he always does, but this doesn't mean it is any stronger. In fact, it may cause more people to tune out than tune in.[/quote]

If you took the time to study Layton or really knew anything about him he is the man you want in opposition. I have no problem with Ignatief. Layton is the man who is able to see how to get sides together to get things done. It certainly is not Harper who is the great conciliator. His my way or the highway approach will not help. Ignatief appears to be able to make allowances to move things forward. The blog of course has only one agenda so they are easy to deal with from the standpoint of knowing what they want and will deal on.

However it turns out either the BLOC or the NDP will end up with the balance of power unless the NDP split the vote in Quebec too much and the Conservatives come up the middle.

And no, I am not contrary to popular belief here, an NDP supporter nor a union member. I am pretty much an ABC voter.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

butcher99 wrote: If you took the time to study Layton or really knew anything about him he is the man you want in opposition.

Finally - something we agree on! You are absolutely right - the more I learn about Taliban Jack, the more I want him in opposition and far away from any power whatsoever to govern this country.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

butcher99 wrote: If you took the time to study Layton or really knew anything about him he is the man you want in opposition.

Finally - something we agree on! You are absolutely right - the more I learn about Taliban Jack, the more I want him in opposition and far away from any power whatsoever to govern this country.

I'm curious as to why you keep referring to Layton as "Taliban Jack"?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Common enough that it's made it into the urban dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ban%20Jack

And a 3 year old article on it

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... a0489031fc

Amazing what google will do.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Well, if some government members screeched that at Mr. Layton when he rose in the House, they should be ashamed of themselves. That is exactly the type of disrespect between MP's that I'm so sick and tired of.

As for Mr. Layton's position on the war in Afghanistan, he is entitled to his opinion and, regardless of whether or not other MP's agree with it, he is entitled to be spoken to with respect while discussing it.

Members of Parliament need to learn how to agree to disagree with each other without resorting to name calling and other childish behaviours.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:Well, if some government members screeched that at Mr. Layton when he rose in the House, they should be ashamed of themselves. That is exactly the type of disrespect between MP's that I'm so sick and tired of.

As for Mr. Layton's position on the war in Afghanistan, he is entitled to his opinion and, regardless of whether or not other MP's agree with it, he is entitled to be spoken to with respect while discussing it.

Members of Parliament need to learn how to agree to disagree with each other without resorting to name calling and other childish behaviours.

You are correct - no matter how stupid the words are coming out of Taliban Jack's mouth, if enough people are dumb enough to vote for him in his consituency and elect him to Parliament, then he has a right to be heard in the House, and say those stupid things in a clear voice without being shouted down and called names. That's how our democracy works.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Merry wrote:

I'm curious as to why you keep referring to Layton as "Taliban Jack"?

If you keep repeating it enough, people will believe it. Just ask Angry John Baird the Cons Junk Yard Dog.

Considering the CIA and the NSA discussed, funded, trained and logically supported the Taliban while they fought the Russians and beat them - and now the USA/UN cant even beat them - it might be a good idea to talk with them, instead of just carpet bombing countries until they are all dead ( but their kids grow up to be terrorists ). Smart leaders just point and shoot, they don't ask questions or read history books?

But you know how it is, calling people names based on lowbrow understandings of international politics and diplomacy is much more fun.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bagotricks wrote:But you know how it is, calling people names based on lowbrow understandings of international politics and diplomacy is much more fun.

Is that why you do it? You seem more into the angry thing then the comedy/fun thing.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

Bagotricks wrote:But you know how it is, calling people names based on lowbrow understandings of international politics and diplomacy is much more fun.

Is that why you do it? You seem more into the angry thing then the comedy/fun thing.

What's Harper's nickname?

The Taliban Jack thing is getting a bit old. We sit here and critique our parliment for acting like children, when we're doing the exact same thing. Yay for hypocrisy! I wish everyone could discuss the issues like adults, without name calling and fear mongering. But then this wouldn't be any fun at all, and we might get a parliment that works.... :127: What would we complain about then!?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

UnknownResident wrote:

What's Harper's nickname?

The Taliban Jack thing is getting a bit old. We sit here and critique our parliment for acting like children, when we're doing the exact same thing. Yay for hypocrisy! I wish everyone could discuss the issues like adults, without name calling and fear mongering. But then this wouldn't be any fun at all, and we might get a parliment that works.... :127: What would we complain about then!?

I concur. The Taliban Jack nickname is more a reaction to all of the virtriol leveled at Harper, some of it earned, most not. I do like the hurt reaction that you get from the brain-washed NDP'ers when you use that nickname for Layton, they act like you just shot their dog. Good grief - that's my main problem with the lefties - they can dish it out all day long but they cry like babies if you insult any of their sacred cows. Get a sense of ha-ha and stop taking yourselves so seriously.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I concur. The Taliban Jack nickname is more a reaction to all of the virtriol leveled at Harper, some of it earned, most not. I do like the hurt reaction that you get from the brain-washed NDP'ers when you use that nickname for Layton, they act like you just shot their dog. Good grief - that's my main problem with the lefties - they can dish it out all day long but they cry like babies if you insult any of their sacred cows. Get a sense of ha-ha and stop taking yourselves so seriously.

I think we all got it after the first couple dozen times you said it though. Keeping it fresh gives it more of a sense of 'ha-ha', but when it's constantly the same attack the only purpose left is to get under peoples skin.

Not that i'm offended, I could care less about your political position really. But what is Harper's nickname? Or what are the insults directed at him? All I've seen (honestly!) is people giving him a hard time over some issues, whether or not the issues being discussed are accurate or not is a different story.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”