Election Day

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Election Day

Post by Lady tehMa »

There is a thread on it over here http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31497

and a friend sent me a link to this party http://www.libertarian.ca/ which also appears to be interesting.
I haven't failed until I quit.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

Lady tehMa wrote:There is a thread on it over here http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31497

and a friend sent me a link to this party http://www.libertarian.ca/ which also appears to be interesting.

Perhaps the libertarian party deserves a closer look. Do we have a candidate in this riding for them? It appears we do not have one for the Pirate Party.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:
oneh2obabe wrote:Seriously folks, does it really matter where you vote? gf, if it bothers you so much that your blood pressure is rising because the government has the gall to rent church space, phone the number I provided earlier and get your mail-in ballot.

Problem solved and you won't come to any harm by entering a church.

I had relatives, as I'm sure you did too, who died in both world wars fighting for freedom and democracy. What kind of legacy are we showing them when we *bleep* 'n complain because you have to vote in a church? Sad state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your concern, H2O babe. There is nothing wrong with my blood pressure - y'all should have the numbers consistently as perfect as mine. Hate to break it to you, my blood pressure has always lower than the old "normal" range and is now smackdab in the middle of the new range chart so no worries there.

Funny you should equate "freedom" and "democracy" in with the same thought process as religion. You do realize this hatred you have for religion is getting rather tedious? I know people who don't like (some might say hate) certain things but they don't carry on spewing venom every chance they get.

And I hardly think the people who fought for the freedom and democracy we enjoy today stopped and said "wait, that's a church/temple/synagogue so we'll bypass it and whatever happens happens. **sarcasm off**

Your persistence that harm comes from entering a church is just kinda stupid. I already said that was not a concern. You really need some lessons in comprehension and reading. You have excelled in jumping to conclusions, though, and get top marks and get to go to the head of the class for that one. Seeing that you're the one rambling on and on about your polling station being a church, it's nice to hear you've finally come to your senses and realized that entering a church isn't a concern. So what the hell is your problem in casting your ballot? As for my reading and comprehension skills, always excelled at them and have no problem whatsoever with reading and understanding the underlying nuances.

I don't want a mail-in ballot. I want to go put my X on my ballot in a non-religious polling station. Get over it already. Your polling station is a church, end of story. You want to make it into a religion vs politics thread, have at it but do so in the proper forum.

Is anyone voting at the Sikh Temple or the Jewish Beth Shalom Synagogue or the Buddhist Temple? Or is Elections Canada just spending taxpayers' money supporting certain Christian religions? Do you really have to know if any of these are being used as polling stations? If the answer is yes, I suggest you call and ask:
Kelowna--Lake Country Returning Officer
Wendy Creelman, 2041 Harvey Avenue, Kelowna, BC V1Y 6G7
1-866-545-0617

Can't be bothered responding to any more of your venom as it's an exercise in futility trying to educate you. It's painstakingly clear you're rabble-rousing. It's your choice on whether or not to vote. If you don't exercise that right, don't *bleep* about which party gets elected.

And another thing, the personal attacks on people when they disagree with you is becoming the norm which is rather sad in itself.

Who is attacking who? I started off asking a simple question ... and y'all jumped all over my frame for it. I truly am sorry your religious bias makes you get mad at me for asking questions. I guess that's what separates the religious from the non-religious. Your churches get used by the government, get taxpayers' money for it and you are okay with that and don't question. But if someone questions, you get all indignant and bounce off walls and misconstrue the question or the purpose behind the question, start putting words in my mouth and attacking me for my desire to have a non-religious voting place in an election of the leaders of our country.

Please note - I said OUR country. Mine, too. Not just your religious version of it. Really, the venom seems to be all on your end of this. All I did was ask a simple question.

I am pleased to know your bp is so good.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

UnknownResident wrote:
Lady tehMa wrote:There is a thread on it over here http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31497

Perhaps the libertarian party deserves a closer look. Do we have a candidate in this riding for them? It appears we do not have one for the Pirate Party.

Good point UR!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Lady tehMa wrote:If that is your concern, then yes. I'm not attacking your position, I just would like to understand it.

Last time around I carefully considered the circumstances and chose not to lend my support to any party. I do not believe in voting for a fringe party just because I won't vote for a mainstream party. So I didn't vote.

If I had the option of casting a "none of the above" vote I would have gone out and done so. But, I felt, given the circumstances of the last election call, I did not feel right supporting any of the candidates.

That is my right and does not preclude my right to *bleep* and complain about the job done by them in any way, shape or form. Despite what a bumper sticker may say.

Which brings me to another point. I don't encourage everyone to vote. I think it would be one of the worst things to happen to democracy here if everyone voted. Trouble is, most don't vote because they are apathetic to the issues etc. That's fine and I would prefer that they didn't just cast a vote based on who has the nicest hair or whatever little newsclip has grabbed their attention. People should be engaged before voting and if they don't want to take the time to be engaged, read about the issues etc. then I would prefer they didn't vote.

Those who are engaged are the ones I would like to see voting, even if I disagree with their choices. Better to have a 35% turnout of people who know what they are doing then a 95% turnout of uninformed people.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
UnknownResident wrote:

Good point UR!!

Upon further review they do not have a candidate in the Kelowna-Lake Country riding. Perhaps next year when we have an election I should try my luck :dyinglaughing:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I started a thread to discuss the Libertarian Party of Canada ... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31758

There's also a Provincial Libertarian Party - http://www.libertarian.bc.ca/index.html
__________________________________________________________________________________________

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:my desire to have a non-religious voting place in an election of the leaders of our country.

Please note - I said OUR country. Mine, too. Not just your religious version of it. Really, the venom seems to be all on your end of this. All I did was ask a simple question.

I am pleased to know your bp is so good.

In a perfect world everyone would get what they wanted. Unfortunately our world isn't perfect so we do the best we can with what's presented to us. And if that includes voting in a church, then get out and vote.

I have no idea why the government can't have a non-religious place for voting but it's nothing to get so upset about. As for my religious version ... nope, atheist but that doesn't mean I disrespect someone for embracing their religion.

This thread was to remind everybody to bring their voter registration card and proper identification to make the voting process as quick as possible. If you can't make it on May 2nd you can go to your advanced polling station on April 22, 23 or 25 between the hours of 12:00 noon and 8:00 p.m.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Tacklewasher wrote:

Which brings me to another point. I don't encourage everyone to vote. I think it would be one of the worst things to happen to democracy here if everyone voted. Trouble is, most don't vote because they are apathetic to the issues etc. That's fine and I would prefer that they didn't just cast a vote based on who has the nicest hair or whatever little newsclip has grabbed their attention. People should be engaged before voting and if they don't want to take the time to be engaged, read about the issues etc. then I would prefer they didn't vote.

:rate10:
Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote:Maybe it is a non-issue for you folks because you might be a follower of these Christian-faith-type religions?? What if I was Sikh and upset because I had to go to a Christian place to vote? Would you say the same thing to me then? If you are one of the Christian faiths that doesn't like Jewish folks, would you balk and question if you had to vote at their synagogue?

I truly believe the vast majority of Sikh’s would be far less paranoid entering a Christian church than you. It is just a community meeting place ferchrisake grammy. Have you not ever been to a religiously based cultural event where people from many different religions congregate and join together in the celebration with another group? It seems many of them religious folk are more open-minded and have more tolerance than you.

I promise you grammy – you’re not going to burst into flames when you enter the church. :fried:

p.s. I was talking with God this morning (despite being non-religious) and He told me to tell you He’s not mad at you. :wink:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

steven lloyd wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Maybe it is a non-issue for you folks because you might be a follower of these Christian-faith-type religions?? What if I was Sikh and upset because I had to go to a Christian place to vote? Would you say the same thing to me then? If you are one of the Christian faiths that doesn't like Jewish folks, would you balk and question if you had to vote at their synagogue?

I truly believe the vast majority of Sikh’s would be far less paranoid entering a Christian church than you. It is just a community meeting place ferchrisake grammy. Have you not ever been to a religiously based cultural event where people from many different religions congregate and join together in the celebration with another group? It seems many of them religious folk are more open-minded and have more tolerance than you.

I promise you grammy – you’re not going to burst into flames when you enter the church. :fried:

p.s. I was talking with God this morning (despite being non-religious) and He told me to tell you He’s not mad at you. :wink:

Awwwww ............. gee golly whiz, Steven ........ that was so sweet of you. Did you also check with Allah and Buddha and any other deities?

And that was totally NOT my point. But that's okay.

So why doesn't the government or Elections Canada have a polling station at the Sikh Temple? Why would they give taxpayer money to a Christian church but not a Sikh or Jewish or whatever and have Canadian citizens go there to vote?

I know you have pegged me as a religion hater but actually such is not the case. I just object to the government paying money to religious cults (and even just certain Christian religious cults) to conduct the people's business.

The nasty snide comments really aren't necessary. It is a valid question.

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote: Did you also check with Allah and Buddha and any other deities?

:129: Allah. Buddha. Krishna. God. The Creator. Different names. All the same thing.

Voting in a church = free
Getting to vote = priceless

Gotta go practice my golf swing now :124:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Probably based on convenience and availability GF. I'm afraid your delicate sensibilities don't enter into the equation.

Tacklewasher, thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand your point of view. :sunshine:
I haven't failed until I quit.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Lady tehMa wrote:Probably based on convenience and availability GF. I'm afraid your delicate sensibilities don't enter into the equation.

tsk tsk

Is there some reason this quite innocent question has become such a "hate on Gramma" thing?

My ex used to do that, too - when he didn't like the discussion he'd come out of his corner swinging and taking potshots to avoid answering or try to make me be in the wrong.

I've voted in more schools than I have religious buildings over my many years of voting, so that "convenience and availability" probably isn't the best answer. Governments and religions are very bad bed partners. Didn't you ever wonder why nothing government does is ever held in anything but a Christian building? Why not in a mosque or temple or pagan meeting house??

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Cause Okanagan is the whitest place on Earth and doesn't have a good number of temples, pagan houses, and mosques? :137:
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”