Females - hormones and moods

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Females - hormones and moods

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Curious to just hear some stories from the general population as to the effects of hormones and monthly cycles. My spouse (we have been together for 15+years) seems to be affected quite drastically by hormonal changes that affect her mood. i realize everyone is different and there are a lot of other factors that can contribute, but it seems that whenever I feel I am being mis spoken to or mistreated, it always goes back to "I am hormonal right now" - just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or strong hormonal fluctuations and what types of things that they tried to help alleviate.

This has been the norm in our relationship throughout and I feel that it is getting increasingly worse and more frequent. Anyone have any positive/negative changes hormonally pre/post children? Menopause? (we have no children(yet) and she is not menopausal - just wondering how these may affect as well)

Thanks in advance
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Females - hormones and moods

Post by prairieflower »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Curious to just hear some stories from the general population as to the effects of hormones and monthly cycles. My spouse (we have been together for 15+years) seems to be affected quite drastically by hormonal changes that affect her mood. i realize everyone is different and there are a lot of other factors that can contribute, but it seems that whenever I feel I am being mis spoken to or mistreated, it always goes back to "I am hormonal right now" - just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or strong hormonal fluctuations and what types of things that they tried to help alleviate.

This has been the norm in our relationship throughout and I feel that it is getting increasingly worse and more frequent. Anyone have any positive/negative changes hormonally pre/post children? Menopause? (we have no children(yet) and she is not menopausal - just wondering how these may affect as well)

Thanks in advance

There can be so many reasons for this.

1. Depending on her age, horomones can be a factor. Although, some women in their early 20's can experience the same as women who are pre-/peri- and postmenopausal.
2. There are natural and prescribed medications that we can take to help with this. Has she ever seen a doctor for how she feels?
3. Without digging or getting too into things....Is your relationship a good one? You may think it is great, she may not and does not know how to tell you. Anything in life, finances, work, relationship can affect how we "feel" (as I am sure you know).

There are many, many resources out there to find out about hormonal imbalance etc. But truthfully, if this is an ongoing problem for a long time, she really should consult a doctor who can try and help her.

You can also keep a diary for yourself. See if this happens the same time each month or if it is random. That way you can help her by "showing" her that it may be a monthly problem.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Good topic, and, for those who would like to derail it will stupid stuff, a good ADULT topic. Be aware that every person who derails this thread will receive a one week ban.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

PMS was the worse when I was on birth control. It was like a switch in my brain and I would find myself short tempered, emotional, irrational.

I find as I get older other symptoms of my period are way worse but PMS is way down. I still find myself a little short tempered but not nearly as bad and I am more aware of it. It doesn't really effect my relationship.

I have had a tubal ligation which may affect this I don't know.

Birth control gave me pretty regular migraines (every single month) Now I get them on the occasional month if I am under a lot of stress.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I find it changes as you age. Worse in the teens when you first start, gets better. Pregnancy throws the cycles off again and then it gets better. I'm approaching the age of change (not there yet thank God!) but I'm finding sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I'm WAY worse. I read a book on hormonal health by that John Gray (Mars/Venus guy) and apparently he has some kind of "hormone balancing" product. I plan on trying it.

I think it is also tied to your stress levels; more stress = worse pms.
I haven't failed until I quit.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Women can get a more severe form of PMS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premenstru ... c_disorder
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

WeatherWoman wrote:Women can get a more severe form of PMS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premenstru ... c_disorder

thank you so much for this link - i think we may be on to something here.....
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

UMS, Ugly Mood Syndrome.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Depends on genetics as well. Granny had no problem with the change while mom was the monster from hell - she had the night sweats, bitchiness and mood swings like you've never seen. Good thing I knew the signs and said see ya later, gotta go out.

I took after granny - sailed through it.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Bsuds wrote:UMS, Ugly Mood Syndrome.

pinching BSuds for that.......we don't get ugly moods, we are just transforming :sunshine:

Return to “Health”