Hearing Loss

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Star Light
Guru

Hearing Loss

Post by Star Light »

I have been trying to convince Hubby to have his hearing tested. I could be 5 feet away from him & ask him how his day has been. I will tap him on the shoulder & ask if he heard me & he will say no.

This past weekend he was working in our yard. I went on our deck to ask him if he wanted a beer, had to ask 3 times, then I hollered his name, he turned, looked & me & asked if I said something to him. This time he wasn't any more than 3 feet away from me. He doesn't think there is a problem, yet I am not the only person who is noticing this hearing loss.

Over the past year or so, this has gotten progressively worst. I have also noticed when he speaks, he is becoming louder. Many here know Hubby is a heavy equipment operator, hasn't had his hearing tested for over 5 years, he thinks because the last test was fine, that it is okay now.

My question is this, how do I convince a rather stubborn man to go get tested?
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Hearing Loss

Post by Lady tehMa »

Good luck. :s

What my mom did with my dad, was start talking to him more quietly. Making sure that he could see her lips moving. She didn't even have to drop her volume much, he said it was like watching a silent film and really quite alarmed him - enough so that he went in and got tested on his own.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Lady tehMa wrote:Good luck. :s

What my mom did with my dad, was start talking to him more quietly. Making sure that he could see her lips moving. She didn't even have to drop her volume much, he said it was like watching a silent film and really quite alarmed him - enough so that he went in and got tested on his own.

Thanks Lady, I will give this a go. Even our Daughter told me how loud her Dad is becoming, have to remind him to use his indoor voice lol.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have major hearing loss and it is amazing the difference once you get hearing aids. Take him to Costco or any hearing center for a free test. Costco's prices for the aids are half as much as anywhere else. If his hearing loss is from working with heavy equip. then Workers Comp should cover the cost anyway.

Good luck
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

If it is work related he should file a claim with WorkSafeBC (might be a challenge if self-employed). They take a good year to approve hearing loss claims but once they do he gets hearing aid coverage for life. If he is employed with an employer (as opposed to self employed) the company he works for should, as per BC Health and Safety legislation, get annual tests.

If he gets other checkups (ie. annual physical) from the doctor maybe mention it to the doctor ahead of time and the doctor will 'bring it up' during the appointment.

The damage may get worse if it is not addressed. Best of luck!
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

My dad is 77, says hearing aids are for old people. How do i argue with him, we all yell at him, but me thinks he likes the peace and quiet. Very frustrating, he is missing so much. Sad.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

I think people are too set in there ways, I am 23 had aids all my life. Tell him (if you can) to stop being an *bleep*, just have the test done , it doesn't hurt. I know, I am being harsh, but I would LOVE to have the level of loss, these people have, however on the other hand the peace is nice.(completely deaf without my aids.)

I can't hear the birds, All trees are silent, and many more. I can't ever hear those things again, but people with a low level of loss can once again.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

thank you, I am going thru a very hard time rite now, i understand your concern.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

emc group wrote:My dad is 77, says hearing aids are for old people. How do i argue with him, we all yell at him, but me thinks he likes the peace and quiet. Very frustrating, he is missing so much. Sad.

My dad has them, and when he is tired of hearing us he takes them out. If he's really miffed he'll do it in front of us and plunk them on the table. Drives mom nuts.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Health”