Hospital food

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
emc group
Fledgling

Hospital food

Post by emc group »

Have a partner in KGH rite now, so visit every day, what happens to all the food, {some sealed, some not}, that patients don"t eat?
All garbage? Just curious. Looking at all the trays in the hall after feeding time, there is 10% good untouched food left on trays.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: hospital food

Post by Captain Awesome »

Garbage.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Captain Awesome wrote:Garbage.

It's garbage before it's even placed on the plate.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

i understand the "garbage" comments, guess i wonder what they do with all the "sealed food" , is it given to the next patient?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

emc group wrote:i understand the "garbage" comments, guess i wonder what they do with all the "sealed food" , is it given to the next patient?

I would suspect that it would be against health codes to pass on unopen packages incase it has been tampered with.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

just not sure if it is a waste of food or what? No, it is not gormet like at the steakhouse, but do they throw all that away? what a wastfufull sosiety we live in.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Breakfast at KGH was the BEST. You got to choose what you wanted form a list which had a great selection, and you got to order as much as you wanted. If you wanted two fruite cups and two muffins you got them, and more if you wanted. Lunch and dinner where a crap shoot. Lunch and dinner were not bad, but it was not good either.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

I don't think anyone should want what's left over on those trays. After all, even if the patient hasn't eaten everything (or anything) on the tray, they may still have a communicable disease, and so during the time that the tray has sat in front of the patient, many microbes may have been passed along to the food (chain). :127:
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Geeze, I thought this was gonna be where we could say, "Is that what it was,,, food"?

I never finish all mine, a few bites and lose interest (Hate hosp food), and I would hope it goes in the garbage but my bet is it does. Too many disease possibilities if not, even sealed. Cant blame them that it is not interesting tho. They have to cook bland so most everyone can tolerate it.

It might look like we waste food but some cant eat much if really sick and yet they (hosp) have to make sure they offered it. I bet if they were to bring the food around in a different way where they come into a room and ask the patient what they will eat right now then there would be less waste. Most people can say what they think they will tolerate. So take the toast and the jello off my tray,,,,, Nope, might not work cos the toast would just go soggy anyway,, hmmmmm. I wonder if someone gave this some real thought, could there be a better way?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
signgrrrl
Fledgling

Post by signgrrrl »

I saw a quick blurb on one of the learning channels about Riker's Island prison and how they compost their left over food (I believe prisoners do the work). Not sure the complexity of a project such as this, or the issues with contamination due to hospital left overs but it would be an interesting concept. Labour intensive for the leftover sealed food though...can't exactly make the patients work.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Libelle wrote:Breakfast at KGH was the BEST. You got to choose what you wanted form a list which had a great selection, and you got to order as much as you wanted. If you wanted two fruite cups and two muffins you got them, and more if you wanted. Lunch and dinner where a crap shoot. Lunch and dinner were not bad, but it was not good either.

I agree, breakfast was the best but on the 7 weeks I was in the Hospital I was never given a choice as to what I would like to eat.

Gross food!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The larger hospitals in Ontario (Toronto for sure) don't make food for patients on the premises any longer. They contract it out to a company (Aramark, The Compass Group, Cara Operations, etc.) who supply food in bulk to hospitals, schools, large corporations, institutions, airlines, etc. The food is assembled on site, heated and put on patient trays.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

emc group wrote:just not sure if it is a waste of food or what? No, it is not gormet like at the steakhouse, but do they throw all that away? what a wastfufull sosiety we live in.

What do you think restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores do with food they didn't sell?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My wife had surgery in the hospital last year.
I was there for the day. I went into the restaurant/cafeteria there.
I couldnt believe the unhealthy food choices. The only thing I saw that was 'good' food was the salad bar, and even that had pretty limited choices.
I figured that a health care center would at least extoll the virtues of healthy diets and would reflect it in the fare that they offer.
The food there is garbage before its offered and declined.
Hospital food. Yuk.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

babbitman wrote:My wife had surgery in the hospital last year.
I was there for the day. I went into the restaurant/cafeteria there.
I couldnt believe the unhealthy food choices. The only thing I saw that was 'good' food was the salad bar, and even that had pretty limited choices.
I figured that a health care center would at least extoll the virtues of healthy diets and would reflect it in the fare that they offer.
The food there is garbage before its offered and declined.
Hospital food. Yuk.

Funny, I was visiting a friend and decided to walk into that cafeteria, yup walked out with nothing. Salad bar was available but there was lotsa other stuff crowding what little good that was there. Sucked cos I was hungry too.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Health”