The Results .......

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: The Results .......

Post by Bpeep »

NAB wrote:Live with it LOL. It's the only (and best) game in town. Spend your time contributing to the best decisions under the existing system, instead of wasting it trying to change the system.

Nab

If people didnt try to change the system, the system wouldnt be the system that it evolved to be.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grumpydigger wrote:If you people think Campbell Was a self-centered arrogant dictator that BC Was lucky to get rid of.

Harper Will be twice as bad .

The only Prime Minister to be held in contempt of Parliament and the people are stupid enough to elect him with a majority government :purefury:

I have to assume you've forgotten about Brian Mulroney who's level of arrogance has to date gone unmatched.

I haven't envied Harper's challenges in having a minority government compelled to put up with the childish whims, and *bleep* for tat antics of the opposition coalition.

I lost track of how many times he was threatened with doing so and so or else face an election.

Well, he's faced an election and come out strong, so now it's up to him to prove what he can do with a majority government.

Time to fish or cut bait now.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

NAB wrote:Justin Trudeau??? Gimme a break LOL. That's the last thing the Liberals need to do if they are to survive.

Nab

I didn't say it is a good idea. In fact I don't think it is. But I do think the Libs will go the way of the Dems in the states in choosing a celeb type leader - hype over substance. As far as I know Layton received a lot of his votes from the youth vote. In fact I know several myself who voted for the first time, even though they were eligable to vote in the last election, and in some cases the last two elections. They all voted NDP.

I don't imaigne the Libs or NDP care where their votes come from. A vote by an educated voter is worth exactly the same as one from a celebrity following dunce.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

babbitman wrote:
NAB wrote:Live with it LOL. It's the only (and best) game in town. Spend your time contributing to the best decisions under the existing system, instead of wasting it trying to change the system.

Nab

If people didnt try to change the system, the system wouldnt be the system that it evolved to be.

Perhaps so. But it is also ridiculous to claim that the system is broken based on the argument that our government is elected by only 40% of Canadians. Our government is elected by whatever percentage of voters vote for them. If 40 - 60% of voters choose not to vote, then please don't play math games with the percentage of those who do. Deliver a 100% of eligible voters voting, then we can talk about a different system involving proportional representation.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Conservatives.......... 5,825,131 votes out of 23,971,740 = 24.2999924077268%

NDP................... 4,500,506 votes out of 23,971,740 = 18.7742149714622%

Liberals.............. 2,776,411 votes out of 23,971,740 = 11.5820169916744%

Boc..................... 889,724 votes out of 23,971,740 = 3.7115536878007%

Greens..................575,239 votes out of 23,971,740 = 2.3996547601467%

These numbers tell me that large part of Canadians don't give a damn, if Stephen Harper believe he was given mandate then he is mistakenly wrong.
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

Carmencat wrote:
Urbane wrote:I totally agree with all your points, Urbane. I might add that I am willing to bet that the Liberals will turf Iggy in favour of Justin Trudeau as their leader. They need to do something drastic to shake up the party, and I can totally see them trying to reignite Trudeaumania and the youth vote.

Analysts on Global were suggesting the primary problem with the Liberals was the fact they kept looking at their leader instead of their policies. If the Liberal Party goes ahead with Trudeau becoming leader I think the party would be over. The brand of the Liberal Party has to be completely revamped if they want to have any chance at winning the next election. I'm afraid the good old boys running the party are in such a state of denial that a merger with the NDP is inconcievable. It would be hard to imagine senior Lib members having much power in a merged NDP party. I wonder if any Libs are asking themselves whether they should've merged years ago when seats were on their side.

As someone mentioned earlier it is difficult to say what contributed to the historic meltdown by the Libs. It is assumed that the majority of Canadians are centrist. Perhaps there has been a shift in both directions (right/left) or perhaps voters are tired of the party. In any case the name no longer carries enough weight to win support. I think the party has relied on their scrapbook and has not really thought much about their future. Iggy might be blamed for what happened but the demise of the party has been eroding since Paul Martin took over.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

WTHWYT wrote:Conservatives.......... 5,825,131 votes out of 23,971,740 = 24.2999924077268%

These numbers tell me that large part of Canadians don't give a damn, if Stephen Harper believe he was given mandate then he is mistakenly wrong.

If a large part of Canadians don't give a damn, then why should those who do give a damn about them?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think young Justin Trudeau is exactly who they will pull out of the hat now. He won his riding and he's a good-looking, charismatic YOUNG man. I can see him being wildly successful at rallying the Liberals - the old supporters will follow the name and the new young ones will go for youth and charm. Give them four or five years to "groom" him and the numbers could very well come back.

I kinda thought they would have him as leader this last time around but they ended up with Iggy instead ... and well, that didn't exactly work out too well for them, did it?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

WTHWYT wrote:

He won the election. Nuff said.

I think if you want to get particular about the word "mandate" then you really need to look back on past elections and see how many Prime Ministers were in the exact same position.

I vaguely recall Mulroney (as but one, though annoyingly memorable, example) spouting something about mandate from the people when he was giving some forked tongue speech about GST and he sure as heck didn't have more than 50% of the vote.

Unless the system is fixed this will continue to happen and one can't get all worked up about a person they don't like, winning according to the rules in effect, provided they adhered to them.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

NAB wrote:
babbitman wrote:

Nab

Perhaps so. But it is also ridiculous to claim that the system is broken based on the argument that our government is elected by only 40% of Canadians. Our government is elected by whatever percentage of voters vote for them. If 40 - 60% of voters choose not to vote, then please don't play math games with the percentage of those who do. Deliver a 100% of eligible voters voting, then we can talk about a different system involving proportional representation.

Nab

I didnt say the system is broken, nor did I play any math games.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

NAB wrote:
WTHWYT wrote:Conservatives.......... 5,825,131 votes out of 23,971,740 = 24.2999924077268%

If a large part of Canadians don't give a damn, then why should those who do give a damn about them?

Nab

None because those who do vote clearly are not encouraging everyone they know to vote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout_in_Canada
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Back to results. Apparently it is confirmed that Ujjal Dosanjh is finally gone. He should have been gone last time.

Nab
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
WTHWYT wrote:

He won the election. Nuff said.

I think if you want to get particular about the word "mandate" then you really need to look back on past elections and see how many Prime Ministers were in the exact same position.

I vaguely recall Mulroney (as but one, though annoyingly memorable, example) spouting something about mandate from the people when he was giving some forked tongue speech about GST and he sure as heck didn't have more than 50% of the vote.

Unless the system is fixed this will continue to happen and one can't get all worked up about a person they don't like, winning according to the rules in effect, provided they adhered to them.

I don't really care who wins because they are all lying politicians no matter which Party. I do give a damn everyone gets out and votes.
Last edited by wthwyt on May 3rd, 2011, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination
Board Meister

Post by Imagination »

Re: Iggy News mentioned he will be making an announcement and stepping down 10am EST tomorrow.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

it is going to be a looooooooooooooong 4 years until the next election. lets pray we are able to survive harper the the conservative/reform/alliance/party.

say goodbye to social programs.
say hello to more corporate tax cuts
watch the political corruption increase
watch the arrogance from harper and his government increase to an even higher level

Return to “Federal Election 2011”