The Results .......

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: The Results .......

Post by NAB »

Logitack wrote:it is going to be a looooooooooooooong 4 years until the next election. lets pray we are able to survive harper the the conservative/reform/alliance/party.

say goodbye to social programs.
say hello to more corporate tax cuts
watch the political corruption increase
watch the arrogance from harper and his government increase to an even higher level

I agree Logi. We gotta do what is best for the economy and getting out of deficit. Anjd having some peace from federal elections for 4 years sounds pretty good to me too ;_)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

TOP STORY

With majority, Harper pledges to build 'great future'

Stephen Harper's long quest for a majority mandate is complete, thanks to a historic election that banished the Liberals to the political wilderness, obliterated the Bloc Quebecois and ushered in the NDP as the new Official Opposition.

In a devastating blow, both Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff and Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe lost their seats in Parliament; defeats that left their supporters unsure of what the future held for their respective parties.

"My friends, it's been a long campaign but now we can turn the page on the uncertainties and repeat elections of the past seven years and focus on building a great future for all of us," Harper told a victory audience in Calgary.

"Canadians have chosen hope, a united Canada, a strong Canada. We must be the government of all Canadians, including those that did not vote for us. We shall be faithful to the trust that you have proposed in us."

Harper's win completes his transformation from a right-wing whiz to a national, mainstream leader, and corresponds with a seismic redrawing of Canada's political landscape, coloured blue and orange.

Equally stunning is the ascent of NDP Leader Jack Layton, who will make history by becoming the first-ever NDP leader to move into Stornaway as official Opposition leader.

"Spring is here my friends and a new chapter begins," Layton told a huge crowd in Toronto during a speech that felt like a victory lap. "Tonight's result didn't come about in 35 days, it's been 50 years in the making."

Much of the NDP's rise has been attributed to a burst of support in Quebec, while the Conservatives were able to breach the Liberal heartland in Toronto.

Even Ignatieff was unseated from his riding on the city's west end, two years to the day that he became party leader.
"This party is bigger than any of us," said Ignatieff at his campaign headquarters, adding that he would continue his political work if the party asked him to.

"It's tough to lose like this."

While Duceppe said he would quit as leader, there were huge swells on either ends of the political spectrum.
Additionally, Green Leader Elizabeth May was celebrating a huge win in her Victoria, B.C., riding.

"Amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic," said May at her victory party.

As of early Tuesday morning, these were the results for elected or leading ridings (numbers in brackets represent Parliament before the election writ dropped):

• Conservatives: 166 ridings (143)
• NDP: 102 ridings (36)
• Liberals: 35 (77)
• Bloc Quebecois: 4 (47)
• Green: 1

To secure a majority government, 155 of 308 seats are needed.

At NDP gatherings across the country, the party faithful were giddy with excitement as the left-leaning party reaped massive wins in Quebec and knocked off high-profile MPs across the country.

"This is really good for Canada," said former NDP Judy Wasylycia-Leis.

"This really shakes things up in Quebec and it really shows that the separatist movement is in trouble.
Among those MPs who won't be returning to Parliament:

• Conservative cabinet minister Lawrence Cannon
• Liberals Gerard Kennedy, Ken Dryden and Martha Hall Findlay
• Independent Helena Guergis

In Atlantic Canada, Conservative cabinet ministers Peter MacKay and Gail Shea held onto their seats.
Liberal candidate Siobhan Coady, meanwhile, was dislodged in St. John's South-Mount Pearl as part of the NDP bump that led to the party picking up seats across the region.

The Liberals lost five seats in Atlantic Canada, with the NDP and the Conservatives picking up the slack.

"We were offering a choice," said incumbent NDP MP Jack Harris, from St. John's East in Newfoundland. "Mr. Ignatieff said 'Red door, blue door' (but) he forgot about the orange door."

Conservative Fabian Manning, an ex-MP who quit his Senate post to run in Newfoundland, was defeated in a close battle.
Reflecting on the party's increased haul in Newfoundland and Labrador, and the Maritimes, MacKay said the party had done well.

"We had tough ground to till on the Rock but we ran a very good campaign in the region."

A Liberal ‘demise?'

Many in the party were hopeful that Ignatieff could heal a fractured group that suffered a major loss in the 2008 campaign.
But the results Monday were anything but encouraging, falling into third place for the first time in the party's storied history.

If Quebecers shifted to Layton in massive numbers, then voters in Ontario ran from the Liberals to Harper's Conservatives en masse.

Many gains came in the so-called 905 region, where the Conservatives made major inroads with new Canadians.

Despite claims during the campaign that his party targeted ethnic voters, incumbent Conservative Immigration Minister Jason Kenney was unapologetic.

"Reaching out to Canadians and encouraging them to vote -- there's nothing less cynical," Kenney said. "We have to be a government for all Canadians not just the ones that voted for us."

The Conservatives picked up 21 seats in the province, with the Liberals dropping 26, including important bastions in Toronto.

"I take all the responsibility for what didn't work, but all the credit for what did goes to you," Ignatieff said.

Among the Liberals that won their seats in the province was Bob Rae, who held on in Toronto.

"Many of my Liberal colleagues that didn't do good, those are dear friends," he said. "I regret the fact that they weren't re-elected. I know they will continue to contribute to public life."

Results were still being tallied in Quebec, Ontario and the West, but the Liberals were already licking their wounds.

Some, like Liberal insider and Senate mainstay David Smith, were looking beyond the results for glimpses of hope.

"I hear that word ‘demise,' but there's another word: regeneration," Smith said. "There will be soul-searching, no doubt about that, but we'll come back."

There were other glimmers, as Quebec MP Justin Trudeau held onto his seat in Montreal.

"I think there's a clear indication that Quebecers want to be part of the national conversation," he said.

Layton snatches Quebec from the Bloc

While Harper grabbed his home seat in Calgary and strode toward Conservative lore, Layton got a piece of the spotlight with a victory that seemed nearly unthinkable only a few weeks ago.

Even political figures on the opposite side of the spectrum had to tip their hat to Layton for his massive victory.

Reform party founder Preston Manning said: "I don't agree with Jack on a lot, but I agree with replacing separatists with federalists."

There was also praise from a former Conservative prime minister, who worked closely with Layton's father.

"Jack Layton successfully became the incarnation of change, somewhat surprisingly because he's been around for a while," said Brian Mulroney.

In Edmonton, incumbent NDP Linda Duncan held her seat, which is locked in the middle of a Conservative sea in Alberta.

Indeed, while the election campaign began with a whimper, the contest heated up as Layton, Ignatieff, Harper and Duceppe jostled for support in key ridings.

"This started out like an episode from Seinfeld -- an election about nothing -- but it turned into the Big Bang Theory," said pollster Nik Nanos.

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/with_ ... e/08db5842
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

NAB wrote:
rekabis wrote:Great. Four more years of the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Say goodbye to Net Neutrality, say hello to some of the most draconian DCMA-type copyright laws in any “free world” country. Throw in bandwidth caps and the ability for Big Brother to track and record our internet communications without a warrant, and we’re right up there with China, Iran and Best Korea.

Rek, I will say this one time and one time only. Stephen Harper is the Prime Minister of Canada. Disagree with his governments policies if you wish. But you will damned well respect the Office of Prime Minister and the person who occupies it until the majority of Canadians choose someone else to fill the job!

Nab

Nab, whether you disagree with government policies or not, you should respect the Office of the Prime Minister BUT the person in that office has to gain the respect of Canadians not have it given to him/her carte blanche because they occupy that particular office.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 3rd, 2011, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

oneh2obabe wrote:
NAB wrote:
rekabis wrote:Great. Four more years of the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Say goodbye to Net Neutrality, say hello to some of the most draconian DCMA-type copyright laws in any “free world” country. Throw in bandwidth caps and the ability for Big Brother to track and record our internet communications without a warrant, and we’re right up there with China, Iran and Best Korea.

Rek, I will say this one time and one time only. Stephen Harper is the Prime Minister of Canada. Disagree with his governments policies if you wish. But you will damned well respect the Office of Prime Minister and the person who occupies it until the majority of Canadians choose someone else to fill the job!

Nab

Nab, whether you disagree with government policies or not, you should respect the Office of the Primer Minister BUT the person in that office has to gain the respect of Canadians not have it given to him/her carte blanche because they occupy that particular office.

Hmm I think if I disagree with his policies I disagree with his policies, regardless of his title. Nab - the majority of Canadians didn't vote him in. Harper can EARN my respect, but he doesn't automatically obtain it with a nice title.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Ignatieff is resigning as leader of the Liberal Party. He goes out whining like a crybaby over Harper about the same old same old as normal though. He says he wants to return to teaching. May God help his students.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

NAB wrote:Ignatieff is resigning as leader of the Liberal Party. He goes out whining like a crybaby over Harper about the same old same old as normal though. He says he wants to return to teaching. May God help his students.

Nab

He sure taught the Liberals how to lose.

The best thing to come out of this Election....the Bloc is dead! Worth 40mil just for that.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kina
Board Meister

Post by kina »

The Alternative Vote Explained:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE
"The Ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy...”
-Martin Luther King
Ironfist

Post by Ironfist »

NAB wrote:
babbitman wrote:
NAB wrote:Live with it LOL. It's the only (and best) game in town. Spend your time contributing to the best decisions under the existing system, instead of wasting it trying to change the system.

Nab

If people didnt try to change the system, the system wouldnt be the system that it evolved to be.

Perhaps so. But it is also ridiculous to claim that the system is broken based on the argument that our government is elected by only 40% of Canadians. Our government is elected by whatever percentage of voters vote for them. If 40 - 60% of voters choose not to vote, then please don't play math games with the percentage of those who do. Deliver a 100% of eligible voters voting, then we can talk about a different system involving proportional representation.

Nab

Ridiculous? Give me a break. Maybe you disagree with me, but the bottom line is more Canadians voted for someone other than Harper, yet his party now controls parliament. Maybe more people would participate in our democracy if they actually believed their vote mattered.
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

Abou time you stop crying and look to a great future.Some people just are not well versed as to what good will come from this majority. Yes you will not recognise canada in 4 years , because it wil get much better then it has been.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Ironfist wrote:
NAB wrote:
babbitman wrote:
NAB wrote:Live with it LOL. It's the only (and best) game in town. Spend your time contributing to the best decisions under the existing system, instead of wasting it trying to change the system.

Nab

If people didnt try to change the system, the system wouldnt be the system that it evolved to be.

Perhaps so. But it is also ridiculous to claim that the system is broken based on the argument that our government is elected by only 40% of Canadians. Our government is elected by whatever percentage of voters vote for them. If 40 - 60% of voters choose not to vote, then please don't play math games with the percentage of those who do. Deliver a 100% of eligible voters voting, then we can talk about a different system involving proportional representation.

Nab

Ridiculous? Give me a break. Maybe you disagree with me, but the bottom line is more Canadians voted for someone other than Harper, yet his party now controls parliament. Maybe more people would participate in our democracy if they actually believed their vote mattered.

This is the problem right here, we as informed Canadians actually tried to vote him out, worked our *bleep* off, yet here we are.
A government that that majority DOESN'T want.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

grumpydigger wrote:If you people think Campbell Was a self-centered arrogant dictator that BC Was lucky to get rid of.

Harper Will be twice as bad .

The only Prime Minister to be held in contempt of Parliament and the people are stupid enough to elect him with a majority government :purefury:

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Ron Cannan already said on the radio 20 mins ago :

"Yeah I know Phil your into the addiction cause - the Conservative government can be compassionate too - we will offer addiction programs to addicts but if you don't want 'em we will lock you up for along time"

Does Ron know there is more drugs in jail than on the streets? Uhg. Conservatives. Conservatives govern with their "feelings" - not actual data. This is going to be a long 4 years.

Its not that the Conservatives won - the Liberals lost. Vote splitting. The liberals lost 19 seats on Ontario to the NDP/Lib vote split and that's why we have a majority. Analysts all agree "the attack ads" worked and now Canada will see American style attack ads year round - election or not. Thanks Harper.

The one positive spin is that this will unite the left and the Block is gone. However, when Canada is changed - "We wont recognize Canada when Steven Harper is done with it", the 60% of people that didn't vote Blue will serve it right back to them.

On another note I will be removing myself from the Castanet forums. Spending time posting seems like a waste now. This country will need real, on the ground help. This election has taught me to put my money where my mouth is. Its been a slice, thanks for the good times.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

NAB wrote:"The Liberals also lost in Ajax-Pickering, where Conservative Chris Alexander unseated incumbent Mark Holland."

Damn, there is a God LOL. The *bleep* is gone!

Nab

Nab - I rejoiced when I saw that NDP Jim Maloway was booted in his riding in Winnipeg. The fool caused a lot of grief for a lot of friends of mine when he tried to introduce an extremely poorly-thought out (he's NDP so no surprise there) private member's bill that was going to handcuff and handicap the Canadian airline industry through a "passenger bill of rights". The motion was defeated last year by the Conservatives helped out by the Bloc. For some mysterious reason the Liberals all supported this foolish bill. It was pure grandstanding and hype coupled with the typical NDP social engineering philosophy no matter the costs involved and I was glad to see it failed. Maloway was in the middle of a second attempt at stupidity with yet another private members' bill, this time aimed at the auto industry. It was also destined to fail and was termed by a lot of experts as "confusing" and by parliamentary pundits as "a waste of Parliament's time". It is my wish that with his 102 seats and Official Opposition status, that these "pet projects" that seem to be the NDP's specialty die the death they deserve. It's time to become a real party now, despite the desperate dearth of talent that Jackie has at his disposal now. With Maloway gone, at least one time-waster is off the Hill.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Loed wrote:
This is the problem right here, we as informed Canadians actually tried to vote him out, worked our *bleep* off, yet here we are.

Remember that a larger majority of people did not want the NDP (70%) or the Liberals (80%).

It looks to me like informed Canadians punished the party they thought was responsible for calling the election.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Tacklewasher wrote:
Loed wrote:

Remember that a larger majority of people did not want the NDP (70%) or the Liberals (80%).

It looks to me like informed Canadians punished the party they thought was responsible for calling the election.

yup - Iggy blew it. This whole "majority of Canadians didn't want Harper" is just so sad and just shows the dark side of the left - you guys should be happy - you won over 100 seats! Even that woman who went to Vegas and can't speak French won her seat in Quebec! Talk about voting for the party instead of the Candidate! What the NDP has to focus on now is not betraying their true colours and speaking the same nonsense they're known for, as now people have to listen to what they are saying, and can't just laugh off their stupidity as just "typical NDP silliness". That could be their biggest issue - having to appear like a legitimate party now.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”