The Results .......

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: The Results .......

Post by grammafreddy »

Agreed, Carmencat. One of the mistakes the Liberals made this time was to not engage the young voters. They were too busy slamming Harper to involve themselves in garnering new voters to the party. They won't make that mistake again - and JT is their very best option right now. He's a dedicated Liberal who has been living the party program since the day he was born - when his father was in office. He knows the rules, he knows the politics of the party and he knows how to make young girls, old ladies and housewives swoon - and he will. :D

The old Trudeaumania will have nothing on what this young fella can do if he decides he wants to go that route with his life in politics. I remember very well that madness called Trudeaumania that swept the country.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that Jack Layton would become my new best friend. But the fact is, were it NOT for Jack Layton splitting and plundering the Federal Liberal vote in so many ridings, there is no possible way that Harper would have gotten the strong majority that he did. I mean let’s be clear, Harper only picked up an extra 4% increase in the popular vote….no way that translates into an extra near 20 seat majority WITHOUT the help of Jack Layton, who also managed to slay the BLOC and even have them denied official party status.

You just have to love Canadian politics, a guy I cannot stand in Jack Layton helps give my party a majority, eliminates the BLOC, causes Iggy to resign thereby proving he really was “just visiting” all along and now we get 4 years of pure unchallenged Harper to the disgust of the very lefties who supported Layton and thereby made all this happen. Does it get any better than this ? In many respects Jack Layton is like a new Conservative folk hero. And of course his reward is that he gets to move into Stornaway, which given his past demonstrated preference for living in taxpayer subsidized housing should keep him the missus happy while they double bill between there and the House of Commons. Of course I should not overlook the fact that Layton will now be beholden to Quebec, a province with the greatest debt and most inefficient work force in the entire country with a serious sense of the entitlement syndrome. It seems almost poetic that Jack Layton should be forced to spend four years attempting to cater to Quebec’s ever demand when in reality he can deliver squat (as it should be). What irony for Layton that more seats for him and he actually loses influence given that Harper now has a majority and can tell Layton to pound sand.

I have to say as a die-hard Conservative last night exceeded my wildest expectations. And to think we owe it all to Jack Layton and the fact that lefties everywhere are crying sour grapes is just an added bonus. Today is a great day to be a Conservative Canadian.
Last edited by Al Czervic on May 3rd, 2011, 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Back with a vengeance
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

grammafreddy wrote:I think young Justin Trudeau is exactly who they will pull out of the hat now. He won his riding and he's a good-looking, charismatic YOUNG man. I can see him being wildly successful at rallying the Liberals - the old supporters will follow the name and the new young ones will go for youth and charm. Give them four or five years to "groom" him and the numbers could very well come back.

I kinda thought they would have him as leader this last time around but they ended up with Iggy instead ... and well, that didn't exactly work out too well for them, did it?

I am 100% with Gramma on this one. I couldn’t believe the amount of face time the CBC was giving Justin Trudeau last night. Guaranteed this is where the Federal Liberals will go to next. It’s a risky strategy though…..Canada had its flirtation with this family before and that was before we really knew better. Now we have the benefit of hindsight and Trudeau has produced squat for new ideas to date. The Liberals need to find new ideas and a new direction which will be even tougher to do given that Canada is becoming a more bi-arty political system – all thanks to Jack Layton (and I mean that in a good way)
Back with a vengeance
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

The old Trudeaumania will have nothing on what this young fella can do if he decides he wants to go that route with his life in politics. I remember very well that madness called Trudeaumania that swept the country.

I remember it well too, Grandmafreddy. I was only 11 at the time but it made an impression on me, even then. JT has been asked about his political ambitions since the time he was able to vote. The Libs have screwed up badly with their last two picks at leader, and I don't see Bob Rae being able to dig them out of this hole.

I have always been an independent voter. I have never belonged to a party and never plan to. But I agree with all of Al Czervis's points, especially with regard to Layton. I am happy the Conservatives have a majority, and am thrilled I will not have to trek to the polls for another four years.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Al Czervic wrote:I have to say as a die-hard Conservative last night exceeded my wildest expectations. And to think we owe it all to Jack Layton and the fact that lefties everywhere are crying sour grapes is just an added bonus. Today is a great day to be a Conservative Canadian.

Thanks for pouring salt into the wounds of us lefties, Al lol

It will be interesting to see how the next four years go with this majority, how the NDP fair next election and if/how long it will take before the Liberals can rally back.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

strwbrrydvl wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:I have to say as a die-hard Conservative last night exceeded my wildest expectations. And to think we owe it all to Jack Layton and the fact that lefties everywhere are crying sour grapes is just an added bonus. Today is a great day to be a Conservative Canadian.

It will be interesting to see how the next four years go with this majority, how the NDP fair next election and if/how long it will take before the Liberals can rally back.

It will be interesting. I think many Canadians have forgotten what it was like to have a majority Government. All of that coalition nonsense and BS that went on with threats and saber rattling is now ALL put to an end because there is a majority. It’s such a beautiful thing. And to think that Layton can now huff and puff all he wants and will not be able to vote ANY motion down. I am just so pleased that a chapter of nonsense in Ottawa will now be closed. And to think the BLOC and the Federal Liberals are blown out in the process. It just doesn’t get any better. Thank you Jack Layton !
Back with a vengeance
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

So, What can we expect from a Harper/Conservative majority government?
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Prestige Mike wrote:So, What can we expect from a Harper/Conservative majority government?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31979
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

Thank you strwbrrydvl
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Al Czervic wrote:
strwbrrydvl wrote:

It will be interesting. I think many Canadians have forgotten what it was like to have a majority Government. All of that coalition nonsense and BS that went on with threats and saber rattling is now ALL put to an end because there is a majority. It’s such a beautiful thing. And to think that Layton can now huff and puff all he wants and will not be able to vote ANY motion down. I am just so pleased that a chapter of nonsense in Ottawa will now be closed. And to think the BLOC and the Federal Liberals are blown out in the process. It just doesn’t get any better. Thank you Jack Layton !

I expect too see more unrest in Canada over the next 4 years like we've never seen before. If anyone thinks that Harper is going to get a free ride, you might want to think again. He will have to use his dictatorship quality's to silence the people on the street. He wanted a majority really really bad and only told us a few reasons why. He has many more reasons that he hasn't told us and people are going to find out what he's really up to the hard way.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I find it funny how so many people hate Stephen Harper, but he still won and got more seats than last time.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Cumungala wrote:I find it funny how so many people hate Stephen Harper, but he still won and got more seats than last time.

That's because the whiners happen to be the loudest group of our society.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Cumungala wrote:I find it funny how so many people hate Stephen Harper, but he still won and got more seats than last time.

That's because the whiners happen to be the loudest group of our society.

There's a left vs right divide in Canada, with 60% of us voting for a left leaning party. Some of us left leaning people are a little concerned about a minority viewpoint ruling over us with a majority government.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

GrooveTunes wrote:If anyone thinks that Harper is going to get a free ride, you might want to think again. He will have to use his dictatorship quality's to silence the people on the street. He wanted a majority really really bad and only told us a few reasons why. He has many more reasons that he hasn't told us and people are going to find out what he's really up to the hard way.

It just might be that he wants the Conservative Party to remain in power for more than four years – in which case, his agenda will remain tempered as promised. I know I’m not going to agree with everything he does, but I couldn’t expect that from any party or leader and at the end of the day I’ll form my opinion how how he meets the overall needs of the majority of Canadians.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

A Conservative majority, it just doesn't get any better! Bye bye Long Gun Registry. Harper ftw!

Return to “Federal Election 2011”