Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events

Post by Ken7 »

dlarrivee wrote:
Kenyo wrote:Just a thought…

I have nothing against anyone who enjoys the sport of 4x4 ing. I own one, which is used to keep me safer on the highway. Would I go hill climbing in it, No.

What troubles me is the insurance. I pay higher premiums due to the fact it is a 4x4. Now, why are my rates higher, because of repair costs if involved in a motor vehicle accident?

What I feel should be done is when registering a 4x4 sign off, on road or off road usage. If you are on road insured and pull a stupid stunt like the video last posted on this site called “Offroading Dismount” your insurance should be voided. Why I say this is I once again being penalized as a result of others who are high risk.

Using 4wd to keep you safer on the highway?

You're more likely to hit the ditch thinking that 4wd is helping you on ice and snow over pavement...

4wd isn't meant for highway speeds...

---------------------------------------

Please don't buy one.
I put it in 4x4 when caught on bad roads, I slow down and drive at a speed which is reasonable and safe. Unlike the fools I see rolled over from here to Vancouver thinking they can still do 140 kms as they have 4x4. I grew up in the prairies and know how to drive, but thanks for your input....LOL.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Kenyo wrote:I grew up in the prairies and know how to drive

I'm sorry but:

Caution:
SLOW GENTLE CURVE AHEAD

:coffeecanuck:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Graham Adder wrote:
Kenyo wrote:I grew up in the prairies and know how to drive

I'm sorry but:

Caution:
SLOW GENTLE CURVE AHEAD

:coffeecanuck:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Remember only three months of snow free driving!!
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

I'll be sure to never buy a 4wd because another Albertan has done 140km/h in 4wd between Calgary and Red Deer...
:spinball:
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

dlarrivee wrote:4wd isn't meant for highway speeds...

I beg to differ. Running my diesel 4x4 on snowy roads in the winter in 4WD is WAY safer than fishtailing around in 2WD in a pickup. 4WD offers weigh on the front wheels to greatly increase traction and steering capabilities, as well as increased holdback for deceleration without resorting to braking.

If morons do 140 on the Coq in their BMW 4WD and crash, that's because they can't drive in the first place, and would have crashed even sooner in 2WD.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

RichardWede wrote:
dlarrivee wrote:4wd isn't meant for highway speeds...

I beg to differ. Running my diesel 4x4 on snowy roads in the winter in 4WD is WAY safer than fishtailing around in 2WD in a pickup. 4WD offers weigh on the front wheels to greatly increase traction and steering capabilities, as well as increased holdback for deceleration without resorting to braking.

If morons do 140 on the Coq in their BMW 4WD and crash, that's because they can't drive in the first place, and would have crashed even sooner in 2WD.

I didnt want to point out the obvious. You're very correct!!! You can't fix stupid so I suggest if you are that stupid to belive driving 80 kms when snow is covering all lanes and building up in 4x4, "Don't you buy a 4x4, because you will be the idiot drining too fast for road conditions." Albertains aren't that stupid... or are they 140 on poor roads??
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

People buy a 4x4 truck / suv thinking they are MORE safe becuase of the 4x4/awd system! Your are only more safe while accelorating, and or on snowy / slippery roads. What people seem to forget is 4x4 add's a lot of extra parts to your vehicles and a lot more WEIGHT. People also dont understand that the more weight you have the worse your going to stop,

Go to alberta and drive, they drive better then here When they come here they drive slower becuase they are not used to big hills and curves and they are usually on holiday. Not many people tend to worry about "speed" when on holiday

I just came back from a week week trip in calgary, red deer and medicine hat, I didnt get cut off as much or almost killed every 5 blocks. The first day I got back I had to drive from the airport to westbank, and It was more stressfull then my entire 2 weeks of driving a rental car im not familiar with in a city im not familiar with enough to know the roads as well.

anyways lets try to get back on 4x4ing topic here.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

NotLikeYou wrote:People buy a 4x4 truck / suv thinking they are MORE safe becuase of the 4x4/awd system! Your are only more safe while accelorating, and or on snowy / slippery roads. What people seem to forget is 4x4 add's a lot of extra parts to your vehicles and a lot more WEIGHT. People also dont understand that the more weight you have the worse your going to stop,

Weight is your friend for stopping on icy surfaces. Light vehicles are much more likely to slide than heavy ones. Pounds per square inch on your tires = traction, which is as important in stopping in slippery conditions as it is for acceleration. My diesel stops way faster on slick surfaces than my gasser truck of the same brand and size, and the diesel is much heavier.

Ever seen a loaded logging truck with 60,000 kg of logs coming down an icy bush road? Good luck keeping up to him in your empty gaspot pickup truck.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

I see a lot more 1 tons upside in the ditch on the coke and in the woods more so then any half tons. I have a f150 reg cab shorty and its stops quicker then my f350 long box four door, include it's ability to get out of the way a lot quicker then my "bus" its a deadly combo.

Also, with regards to weight, When and IF you do loose control of that "heavier" vehicle your F**** Atleast with a smaller vehicle you can sometimes get lucky.

Also there's a lot more then just WEIGHT that comes into play.
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

RichardWede wrote:4WD offers weigh on the front wheels to greatly increase traction and steering capabilities, as well as increased holdback for deceleration without resorting to braking.

You guys know what my point was...

Weight per square inch is good, but not the only factor. Skinnier tires and softer compound tires with lots of sipping are going to work better on slippery roads.

Sorry, but 4wd doesn't help you steer better and brake better on slippery roads though.
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

RichardWede wrote:Sorry, but 4wd doesn't help you steer better and brake better on slippery roads though.

Not even going to comment :dyinglaughing:

agains...lets get back on topic
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

NotLikeYou wrote:
RichardWede wrote:Sorry, but 4wd doesn't help you steer better and brake better on slippery roads though.

Not even going to comment :dyinglaughing:

agains...lets get back on topic

If it's slippery out, traction is the same for all of your tires...

http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/safe.html
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

You guys can fix your quotes and attribute your incorrect hypotheses to yourselves, not me. Weight and 4WD ARE better in icy conditions.

As for your shortbox F150 versus your longbox 4 door, well duh, see what weight distribution does when you stretch out a vehicle by 6 or 8 feet. Compare a regular cab F150 gasser LB with a regular cab diesel LB, and the diesel will win the stop and go contest on ice every time.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Castanet wrote:
Rutland man charged for mud bogging
by Castanet Staff - Story: 62274
May 27, 2011 / 12:00 pm

Mud Bogging
A Rutland man has been convicted for a second time for 'mud bogging' activity in a pond near Glenrosa.
Charges had been laid against Kyle Cook after Penticton Conservation Officers started an investigation two years ago.
This is Cook's second conviction for charges in similar offenses occurring a day apart.
Cook was first approached by officers on the Saturday of the long weekend in 2009. He was driving his mud covered 4x4 truck on the Kettle Valley Railway near Chute Lake along with two other 4x4 operators.
Charges were laid after it was determined that he had been deliberately mud-bogging in a fish bearing stream near Chute Lake.
Cook was actually brought down the second time by his social media site after he posted photos of himself driving his truck in a “Turnbull Pond”, south of Glenrosa.
Bob Hamilton, a Conservation Officer for Penticton says all wet lands are protected and that if people are caught 'mud bogging' on them they can be charged.
The Court found Cook guilty when he failed to appear on the first charge and again when he failed to appear in court on the second charge. The fines total $1,500.00.

Fines were no where near high enough and unfortunately this idiot still has his truck.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

cv23 wrote:
Castanet wrote:
Rutland man charged for mud bogging
by Castanet Staff - Story: 62274
May 27, 2011 / 12:00 pm

Mud Bogging
A Rutland man has been convicted for a second time for 'mud bogging' activity in a pond near Glenrosa.
Charges had been laid against Kyle Cook after Penticton Conservation Officers started an investigation two years ago.
This is Cook's second conviction for charges in similar offenses occurring a day apart.
Cook was first approached by officers on the Saturday of the long weekend in 2009. He was driving his mud covered 4x4 truck on the Kettle Valley Railway near Chute Lake along with two other 4x4 operators.
Charges were laid after it was determined that he had been deliberately mud-bogging in a fish bearing stream near Chute Lake.
Cook was actually brought down the second time by his social media site after he posted photos of himself driving his truck in a “Turnbull Pond”, south of Glenrosa.
Bob Hamilton, a Conservation Officer for Penticton says all wet lands are protected and that if people are caught 'mud bogging' on them they can be charged.
The Court found Cook guilty when he failed to appear on the first charge and again when he failed to appear in court on the second charge. The fines total $1,500.00.

Fines were no where near high enough and unfortunately this idiot still has his truck.

Notably, he's a fan of "Urban Rednecks" too. Doesn't help their cause to paint themselves as responsible users one bit.

And, I see he's disputed the tickets, then not bothered to show up for either of the court dates to contest them. A big waste of time and money for the cash strapped CO Service, and it also means they have to prepare court documents and deal with Crown Council, further keeping the COs from dealing with issues that need their attention, like poaching, coyotes, etc. That punk needs a tuneup to learn a bit of respect for both people in authority and for the environment.

Return to “Central Okanagan”