Kelowna - Now and Then

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by Queen K »

Remember when Kelowna still had Mountain Shadows and no bunnies?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
BoB76
Guru

Re: Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by BoB76 »

I had a thread like this started. It was pretty interesting.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yeah but I just got here on Jan. 31 so I missed the bus. Remember where the old Greyhound Bus Station used to be? Can't forget its smell.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Pssst:
January of 2007 came before November of 2007.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

keesa wrote:Yeah but I just got here on Jan. 31 so I missed the bus. Remember where the old Greyhound Bus Station used to be? Can't forget its smell.

Orchard Plaza opposite end of the paint store.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Maybe ferri knows where that other thread went to. Assuming she isn't drinking all the nyquil.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

WOW! Thanks Crash, that was a trip. My grandparents came to Kelowna in 1928, just when the depression was starting in the old country, Scotland, as they put it, "if we hadn't come we'd never been able to afford land." !!!! Can you believe it! If I sat mom down to read this who knows what she would add cuz she was born and raised here along with 5 siblings.

My fiance moved here in 1971, just when I was going to Martin Elementary School. And he went there too in grade 7.

Remember when it was a school and not an adult education center?

I recall the Regatta parade floats would all be pulled into the Martin elementary school grounds and decorated with flowers and ribbons before going out.

When it was a parade that was not just advertising.

I recall the when the hippies used to use coloured chalks to make psychedelic pictures on the cement just where people would enter City Park.

I remember when the big Grizzely Bear was installed in City Park and we all went down to look.

Us kids used to get swim lessons at the Lake's beach just where to Sails are now.

Going upstairs at Fumertons to see the fabric section and Buster Brown shoes in the Shoe Dept.

The Empress Gardens Restaurant --- yuummmmmm.

The old post office on Bernard and the first Credit Union with that ghastly pipe sculpture out front.

Glenmore Elementary had Mountain View Green, Orange and Gold for different grades.

At hot sands beach mom would yell at us to watch for the cars cruising by!

My Aunt opened THE LOVE SHOP and Kelowna church people picketted opening day. HA AHA.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

OMG, I got one more Burton Cummings had a concert in the Memorial Arena, came out dead drunk, and screamed, "HELLO KAMLOOPS!"

Barbeque stands in City Park.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

Keesa...thank you!! :sunshine:

Between you and 50 +YEARS-in-Ktown, You guys have served me some fantastic memories! I thank you for that...!! :sunshine:
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

:137: Does anyone remember an "underground" fire, between...say Wardlaw Ave & KLO?? (open field in those days...)

Keesa...I'm sorry I didn't go back and read ALL of 50's thread, but Tasty Freeze on Pandosy, M&M's Mercantile (sp), Fraser's Grocery (RIP Mr. Fraser..we loved ya!! :sunshine: )....and
" Bill Jone's General Store...If we ain't got it, You don't need it!!" :dyinglaughing: (RIP Bob Harrison= the announcer)

On that Note...the Okanagan Suns earliest days...Bob Harrison!!

I think it was 50YEARS that brought up the "Towers"...OH MY GAWD!!! :200: Who can honestly say that they did TOP tower under 10years old?? (I DID on a dare from my Bro... :127: ) On That note ...who remembers them being closed down...:( (the towers)

enough for now.. :200:
blah blah blah......... :smt038 :133:
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

blah blah blah is right!!!

Ma and pa owned the Tastee Freeze in Vernon before moving here.

And Big Bald Bob...good friend of grandpa. He was a good man.

Hey crash, I found some old pics. I'll get them on this thread. One is the house mom bought from 50 years family. It is on the right side of Burtch, going from Sutherland to Springfield. That's where I grew up until 12. Just a pic of our house and empty lots. They had cleared the other houses to start building all the condos that are there now.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I remember when Albertan's came here to visit not live. And when did Albertan's actually bring radar guns to our city? We need to ban Albertan's especially ones from Edmonton named Struts.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That's when Albertans had yellow license plates and we used to be able count up to fifty by just cruising Bernard. We called 'em "prairie chickens".

In the other thread I didn't see anyone mention The Burger Baron! Drive thru only with picnic tables out front. But the best part was the little Medieval Guy out front holding the sword. Rutland Rd had a B.Baron too.

How many incarnations did Flashbacks have before it became Flashbacks? THe Cannery, Changes, and what else?

I remember sneaking into Dusty's. Tramps was upstairs and totally disco. The best though was Steamers, a strip club but we pretended not to know that and we saw a teacher from Knox! We were hiding I swear. Nowdays kids would film him on a camera phone and upload to YouTube before the start of the next school day.

The Salvation Army was on Bernard and reasonabley priced too.

where Blondeaux is today used to be a huge field full of indian paint grass and coloured grasshoppers. Does any recall the orange grasshoppers?

We made money picking cherries in Serwa's orchards along Glenmore Drive and going to see friends out where Kane Road is now was an epic drive.

The Seaplane base!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Brock Tully's coffee house on Leon Ave.

When men shopped at Treadgold's for fishing and hunting gear. And paint.

Bill Treadgold told me story that as Mayor he tried to get City Council to buy up lake front property for park land.

The SPCA was on Barnaby Road.

Return to “Grab Bag”