Alternate decisions

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Alternate decisions

Post by Phoenix Within »

Just so I'm not hijacking Air Wrench's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16564 I did get another idea for a question from that.

I've heard of a theory where all the decisions you make in your life are played out in alternate dimensions. If you could, would you go back and see the consequences of those decisions or would you be content with the way things are?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Alternate decisions

Post by kgcayenne »

I think it would be unwise to take a look. Most of our lives have endured difficulties enough as it is, and no life course is exempt from unforeseen events. Therefore, if viewing one's life-course on the alternate decision would perhaps yield some new things to pain over. Additionally: Perhaps currently not knowing for sure what could have been casts enough shadow of a doubt in our minds that we are able to accept our current circumstances bitter pills and all; however, should the alternate decision have yielded the suspected better result, the current reality would now be subject to unquestionable lament or remorse.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

kccayenne wrote:I think it would be unwise to take a look.

I agree.
kccayenne wrote:....not knowing for sure what could have been casts enough shadow of a doubt in our minds that we are able to accept our current circumstances bitter pills and all.....

I think this is the crux. If one cannot find what they are seeking here and now there are infinite what ifs to ponder. Finding out how something might have gone different could destroy the person you are now if the consequence was some major life altering change.

ETA: Great thread idea Phoenix Within!
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

How many of us have something happen and think, ugh, this is the worst thing to happen to me ever? How could I miss that plane? Only to see it crashed. I'm glad I stayed home today, only to have that fateful phonecall. Wow! I won a million dollars, only to lose all our friends.

What kind of lifestyle would I be living today if I had just "gone with the flow." Worked less. Worked more?

Don't most us have enough things to drive us wild when we can't sleep at night?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”