Candidates

CarMa
Übergod

Candidates

Post by CarMa »

Can someone please tell me who the candidates are in this constituency? All parties, all candidates, please?
usquebaugh
Guru

Re: Candidates

Post by usquebaugh »

Cameron Phillips for the NDP, Julius Bloomfield for the Green Party, Bill Barisoff for the Liberals, and Chris Delaney for the Conservatives.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
lawman

Post by lawman »

I noticed "usquebaugh" only gave links for the NDP and the Green Party. Here's the link for the Bill Barisoff and the Liberals: http://www.billdelivers.ca/. And since usquebaugh's post, Wendy Dion entered the race representing the Refederation Party.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

And here is Chris Delaney's blurb:
http://www.conservativesbc.com/penticton.html

Oh and Wendy Dion is here:
http://www.refedbc.com/2009/page1/page2 ... age23.html

Because I can shot web too.
Too, 2.0
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

lawman wrote:I noticed "usquebaugh" only gave links for the NDP and the Green Party. Here's the link for the Bill Barisoff and the Liberals: http://www.billdelivers.ca/. And since usquebaugh's post, Wendy Dion entered the race representing the Refederation Party.

So what if I did? I would only consider voting for candidates from either party. It's not up to me to promote parties with whom I have policy disagreements. :137:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
lawman

Post by lawman »

usquebaugh wrote:
lawman wrote:I noticed "usquebaugh" only gave links for the NDP and the Green Party. Here's the link for the Bill Barisoff and the Liberals: http://www.billdelivers.ca/. And since usquebaugh's post, Wendy Dion entered the race representing the Refederation Party.

So what if I did? I would only consider voting for candidates from either party. It's not up to me to promote parties with whom I have policy disagreements. :137:

Fair enough. That wasn't intended as a criticism, just an observation. But since you raised the issue, I guess you disagree with a strong economy and sound financial practices but agree with adding $3 billion to our provincial debt and relying on dirty coal power for our energy needs.

The NDP's platform reminds me of the 1990s when they sank us deeper into debt and attacked the working poor by reducing our take-home pay. Personally I prefer the Liberals track record of reducing taxes to the lowest in Canada and investing in the economy by building infrastructure.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The were a couple of letters to the editor in this morning's Penticton Herald delivering some pretty scathing criticism of Mr. Phillips's conduct at Tuesday night's all-candidate forum. I did not make it to the forum myself but would like to hear some of the details if anyone was there.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
lawman

Post by lawman »

Thanks again, STD, for giving me the opportunity to respond and shed some light on our economic picture. It’s amazing the kind of accurate, non-partisan information you can find through Statistics Canada.

Let’s look at your statement the world economy, and Canada, was in decline in the 1990s. If it were, we would see all provinces in Canada were on a decline. But that’s not borne out by the real numbers. From 1992 to 2000, B.C. was DEAD LAST by a wide margin on per capital GDP growth. Tops was Newfoundland, at 33.6%, followed by Saskatchewan and Alberta, at 27.3% and 27% respectively. Nova Scotia was ninth at 16.2% while B.C. was way below that at 5.3%. There are simply no excuses that can explain a result that far below the next lowest.
Now, let’s look at disposable income per capita, which equates to wage gains combined with tax cuts. Per person (that’s EVERY British Columbian, including those who haven’t hit their wage earning years yet), B.C.’s disposable income stagnated under the NDP. In 10 years, it grew by a paltry 0.1%; but in only six years under the B.C. Liberals, per person disposable income grew an impressive 15.2%, far higher than the 12.8% growth under the Liberals. Here’s the link if you want to check the numbers: http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/bus_s ... a/tab1.asp
Moral of the story here seems to be in bad economic times, NDP would lose the taxpayers’ shirts selling lemonade in the desert (or hot chocolate in the Arctic for a more Canadian perspective). Under NDP leadership our economy underperforms, while under the B.C. Liberals we outperform the rest of the country.

Why is this? Probably because the NDP work for their union masters while the B.C. Liberals understand economic fundamentals like attracting outside investment dollars. Yet at the same time while the NDP claim to be a friend of the downtrodden, they did nothing to reduce taxes but the B.C. Liberals completely eliminated personal income taxes for the 250,000 British Columbians in the lowest tax bracket. (Just a little detail, if you’re unemployed, you can’t also be “working poor”. Maybe you meant “under-employed”.)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yes, Campbell and the Liberals have been lying, but so has the NDP, so not much chance of voting for NDP over the Liberals.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
jillw

Post by jillw »

flüffy wrote:The were a couple of letters to the editor in this morning's Penticton Herald delivering some pretty scathing criticism of Mr. Phillips's conduct at Tuesday night's all-candidate forum. I did not make it to the forum myself but would like to hear some of the details if anyone was there.

I was at the forum in Penticton on Tuesday evening. It was one of those sad moments that turn people off politics. There was a question on the floor and one of the candidates decided to attack another candidate instead of answering the question that was asked.

I thought it was very cruel and I wish that people who are asking for our votes would not behave this way. I was very pleased that the Green candidate did not lower himself to this level.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm looking forward to a good showing from Mr. Bloomfield in the election results. There has been a growing trend of environmental awareness and with it a growth in support for Green Party candidates all over. I hope this serves as a wake-up call for other parties.

There were a number of letters again in the Herald today that dealt with the same subject. Whether or not Mr. Phillips's complaints were justified or not is beside the point in my mind, it was not an excuse for disrespect and discourtesy. Anyone who can't make a point without resorting to insult and sarcasm doesn't deserve to represent my concerns in Victoria.

Mr. Phillips's was quoted in today's Western News as saying "I want to be your voice in Victoria, not a mouthpiece for Victoria" in reference to the incumbent Bill Barisoff's role as Speaker of the House, a role that Mr. Phillips claims prevents Mr. Barisoff from effectively representing his constituents. Mr.Phillips went so far as to suggest that Mr. Barisoff uses the office to speaker to avoid taking a stand on contentious issues.

Mr. Phillips definitely crossed the bounds of proper behavior, and I for one will be interested to see whether or not he has the integrity to offer an apology.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
jillw

Post by jillw »

flüffy wrote:I'm looking forward to a good showing from Mr. Bloomfield in the election results. There has been a growing trend of environmental awareness and with it a growth in support for Green Party candidates all over. I hope this serves as a wake-up call for other parties.

There were a number of letters again in the Herald today that dealt with the same subject. Whether or not Mr. Phillips's complaints were justified or not is beside the point in my mind, it was not an excuse for disrespect and discourtesy. Anyone who can't make a point without resorting to insult and sarcasm doesn't deserve to represent my concerns in Victoria.

Mr. Phillips's was quoted in today's Western News as saying "I want to be your voice in Victoria, not a mouthpiece for Victoria" in reference to the incumbent Bill Barisoff's role as Speaker of the House, a role that Mr. Phillips claims prevents Mr. Barisoff from effectively representing his constituents. Mr.Phillips went so far as to suggest that Mr. Barisoff uses the office to speaker to avoid taking a stand on contentious issues.

Mr. Phillips definitely crossed the bounds of proper behavior, and I for one will be interested to see whether or not he has the integrity to offer an apology.

I am in agreement with you Fluffy. There is no excuse to be discourteous or to show such poor behaviour in a public forum, hopefully an apology is offered. Only a few more days and the hoopla will all be over. I am still undecided on STV but have more days to think about it.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

jillw wrote:I am still undecided on STV but have more days to think about it.

I find there's a lot of confusion around the STV referendum, and I'm not exactly clear on the mechanics of it either, but I've got an ace-in-the-hole. My daughter wrote a paper on proportional representation and the STV while attending Simon Fraser a couple of years ago and explained to me that this method of casting ballots is designed to make the proportions of members of the different parties sitting in Victoria more accurately in line with the actual proportions of the voting public. Bowing to her extensive research and hereditary intelligence :127: it sounds like a better way. With the current system a party can hold a number of seats in Victoria that is way out of proportion with the actual support they received from the electorate, and that doesn't seem quite right.

PS: she got an "A"
jillw

Post by jillw »

flüffy wrote:

I find there's a lot of confusion around the STV referendum, and I'm not exactly clear on the mechanics of it either, but I've got an ace-in-the-hole. My daughter wrote a paper on proportional representation and the STV while attending Simon Fraser a couple of years ago and explained to me that this method of casting ballots is designed to make the proportions of members of the different parties sitting in Victoria more accurately in line with the actual proportions of the voting public. Bowing to her extensive research and hereditary intelligence :127: it sounds like a better way. With the current system a party can hold a number of seats in Victoria that is way out of proportion with the actual support they received from the electorate, and that doesn't seem quite right.

Good for your daughter ! That is a hard subject to figure out and too get an A is very good. I recently had a conversation with a candidate about STV on Saturday and he helped me understand STV much better now. Does your daughter support STV ?
lawman

Post by lawman »

jillw wrote:
flüffy wrote:

Good for your daughter ! That is a hard subject to figure out and too get an A is very good. I recently had a conversation with a candidate about STV on Saturday and he helped me understand STV much better now. Does your daughter support STV ?

Congrats on the A. It probably also reflects your parental involvement and the hard work you put in at home as well. Keep it up -- children of parents that take an active role are far more successful in life. I'm curious, did you daughter's research reflect any findings or impacts on larger rural ridings? Such as whether looking at all the rural ridings (anything outside Vancouver-Victoria) as a group might accurately reflect voting intentions as well, owing to fewer MLAs and larger ridings? Or did she look at the urban-rural split in the larger ridings? (I realize that may be a little more difficult to predict, but it is the most often-cited concern about STV.) I know E-Day is getting close, but I hope you'll have time to respond. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Penticton”