Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Post by zzontar »

I've noticed the atheists on here just knock one religion... I've never seen a whole mess of anti-Muslim cartoons or quote after quote from Muslim-hate websites... does this mean the atheists on here are fine with Muslims and other religions but just not with Christians?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Post by Captain Awesome »

I am an atheist. I'm not against any religions. Just choose not to participate.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

If there were muslims on here, I'd be the first one to draw a picture of the prophet mohammed and upload it. It's all bunkum.

'Atheism is to religion like bald is to hair colour'-anonymous
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

I am against neither.

Where I see a problem, as with anything else, is when it is used to justify any harm done to others.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Just remember, when they come for my head, you made me do it zontar.

That's the joy of being free from superstition. If an African bush-witch points his death stick at me, it doesn't work. If he points it at one of his tribe, they will drop dead in days. The power of belief is useful, if you know how to use it.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote: does this mean the atheists on here are fine with Muslims and other religions but just not with Christians?

I Think I posted something about flesh eating hindu mystics a while back, not to mention the whole female genital mutilation thing. :9923:

Edit*Aaand witch-killers in africa.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

As with most things, it's a matter pf perspective. If one is not "for" something, that does not necessarily mean they are against it. I have a problem with any belief system that holds itself above others, it's all personal choice as long as we stay within the boundaries of law and respect for the rights of others. What business is it of anyone else's what thoughts I care to harbour when it comes to the existence/non-existence of some sort of higher power, as long as no harm comes to others as a result of those beliefs? I think that any religion (or lack thereof) that see itself as absolute has seriously missed the boat somewhere along the line. "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me"? This coming from a religion that holds acceptance and tolerance among its virtues?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

soulra wrote:Just remember, when they come for my head, you made me do it zontar.

That's the joy of being free from superstition. If an African bush-witch points his death stick at me, it doesn't work. If he points it at one of his tribe, they will drop dead in days. The power of belief is useful, if you know how to use it.

So are you saying the power of belief works, but only for bad negative things?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

No I'm saying that African witch sticks don't work on me. Boogabooga.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

zzontar wrote:I've noticed the atheists on here just knock one religion... I've never seen a whole mess of anti-Muslim cartoons or quote after quote from Muslim-hate websites... does this mean the atheists on here are fine with Muslims and other religions but just not with Christians?

Militant atheists (the kind I suppose you are referring to) operate in western countries only, for obvious reasons. Since these countries were in part founded on judeo-christian concepts, these are the obvious religious concepts to point at. Also, christianity is an easy target; christians don't behead their critics or take them to "human rights" commissions.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Religion- "because my beliefs dictate reality." Atheism - "because reality doesn't give a frak what I think about it."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There is some arrogance in not being open to possibilities outside ones own current beliefs.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Which possibilities are you referring to? How do you know that I haven't given them a chance at one point or another in my life, only to find them bunkum? My current beliefs are subject to change if and when the evidence changes.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm talking about people who perceive any belief set but their own as "bunkum". All anyone can do is make their decisions based on evidence gathered to date, but to assume at any point that you have all the information needed to discount any and all alternatives completely is a little conceited isn't it?
Last edited by fluffy on Apr 16th, 2009, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

But if I have already found them to be bunkum, through experience and research, why should I? What if I take the good and throw away the trash.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”