Local predictions

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Local predictions

Post by Tacklewasher »

Enough about the full country, how will the local guys do?

I'm thinking Ron Cannan will be down a bit from last time to 51-52% of the local vote.

Any other predictions?
Al Czervic
Guru

Re: Local predictions

Post by Al Czervic »

My prediction is that the Conservatives will win everything from the Shuswap, down through Vernon, Kelowna, West Kelowna and Penticton as they always do. I think the race for the second finisher will be more exciting…..
Back with a vengeance
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Al Czervic wrote:My prediction is that the Conservatives will win everything from the Shuswap, down through Vernon, Kelowna, West Kelowna and Penticton as they always do. I think the race for the second finisher will be more exciting…..
I'll go out on a limb and agree with you (LOL).
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I think the NDP incumbent will likely easily get re-elected in Skeena (local for me), although I have heard people up here talking about the benefits of a Conservative MP serving the area better under a Conservative majority. And of course, not everyone up here wants to erect “closed for business” billboards along the coast, grow their own food and live in wood-heated cabins and actually understand the huge economic benefit to the entire country (including the local area) with Canada realizing its potential and becoming a global energy superpower. It will be interesting to see how close it gets.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I doubt much will change on the Island, and I am quite confident that the Conservative incumbent will be returned by a wide margin in my own riding. There are a few worth watching however, most notably North Island, Saanich, and at least one in Victoria (cannot remember which one right now). If anything, the Conservatives stand to lose one seat to the NDP over here I think, but even that will be close. But that riding May is running in is going to be very interesting. Will she (finally) or won't she LOL. In my experience Islanders are not particularly interested in "outsider" candidates.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

I did not vote for him, but......

i predict

with 99.9% confidence

that

Cannan will return as the kelowna - lake country MP

:127:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Al Czervic wrote:My prediction is that the Conservatives will win everything from the Shuswap, down through Vernon, Kelowna, West Kelowna and Penticton as they always do. I think the race for the second finisher will be more exciting…..

I agree and I'll add this: Although the Liberals never showed all that well in the Okanagan, I think they will be pummelled this time and the NDP will be in second place in many, if not all, of the ridings.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Large bible thumpers population = Conservative wins (or which ever leader is bible thumper them-self)
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Tacklewasher wrote:Enough about the full country, how will the local guys do?

I'm thinking Ron Cannan will be down a bit from last time to 51-52% of the local vote.

Any other predictions?

Nope. Pretty much the same as last time.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

WTHWYT wrote:Large bible thumpers population = Conservative wins (or which ever leader is bible thumper them-self)

Let me add to that for you:

Large bible thumpers and/or elderly (we do live in a retirement mecca) population = Conservative wins (or which ever leader is bible thumper them-self)
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

strwbrrydvl wrote:Large bible thumpers and/or elderly (we do live in a retirement mecca) population = Conservative wins (or which ever leader is bible thumper them-self)

So is the leader of the Green party. Maybe that's why she just won in a riding full of old people?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Yes, May being elected in her riding was certainly an interesting story for the night especially being that she is in an 'old' riding. Maybe the "BT's" just liked her best since she is also a BT and she campaigned hard in her area. The primarily goal was to get that seat and her mission was accomplished. With May's riding as one of the few exceptions the vote between Conservatives and NDP was primarily a generational difference at the polls.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

strwbrrydvl wrote: the vote between Conservatives and NDP was primarily a generational difference at the polls.

Whatcha got for facts that support that? Link?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

grammafreddy wrote:
strwbrrydvl wrote: the vote between Conservatives and NDP was primarily a generational difference at the polls.

Whatcha got for facts that support that? Link?

I'm sure stats will pop up eventually. Basing that observation on conversations I have had with many folks from all ages and the anaylsts comments throughout last night's coverage.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

strwbrrydvl wrote:Yes, May being elected in her riding was certainly an interesting story for the night especially being that she is in an 'old' riding. Maybe the "BT's" just liked her best since she is also a BT and she campaigned hard in her area. The primarily goal was to get that seat and her mission was accomplished. With May's riding as one of the few exceptions the vote between Conservatives and NDP was primarily a generational difference at the polls.

It also helped May to run in a riding with more of a green following.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”