Eastern Grey Squirrel, the new terror.

A potpourri of off-topics.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Eastern Grey Squirrel, the new terror.

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

yes mathieu, they would. and that is why we should exterminate them as quickly as possible. our current lack of action is at the expense of so many native residents.

a natural eco system will of course have species living off other species, in balance. it is the invasives that throw off the balance and create extinctions.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

mathieu wrote:Taken on my balcony in Toronto in 2006, eating a peanut.

I'm very familiar with squirrels. I favour the red ones - the greys are pushing the locals out and cause more damage.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Red one ( I think) taken last fall...
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Deleted by Trip/Off topic.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What does that have to do with the grey squirrel that's an invasive species?
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Fancy wrote:What does that have to do with the grey squirrel that's an invasive species?

Just showing pictures of squirrels, and invasive species.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If you don't want your posts removed mathieu, stick to the topic. The greys are a huge problem - the reds are half the size and don't create the damage the greys do. There's a list a mile long but it is sad the smaller squirrels are being pushed out (or eaten by the greys).
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

(removed/off-topic [ fluffy)
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i am not getting the impression the city is doing anything to thwart this invasive.

a link to the city form to report and request service.

https://www.kelowna.ca/iService_Request ... .cfm?id=54
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The rabbits of Enterprise were easy to contract out for elimination, compare them serenely munching grass on a boulevard to an agile squirrel.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Greg055

Post by Greg055 »

Gray Squirrel Update:
Last year I reported that there was 4, maybe 6 in my entire neighborhood. Surprise! I killed TWELVE, and they are still coming, indicating that for every one you count, there are 3 or 4 times more. They breed rapidly, having litters of 3 pups or more, twice a year, so kill action is necessary.

For several years I used only shoo and scare tactics, such as a toy airsoft gun that shoots plastic pellets. My experience with my so-called squirrel proof feeder is that they're useless: birds don't like them, and squirrels get around them. Best is those cheap smaller plastic feeders with 6 "bolts" sticking out for birds to sit on hanging from a long wire. Took them a long time to work up courage to leap down onto it, and, since it was just outside kitchen window, shooting w/airsoft helped keep them off.

If you want to get them close & shoot them with a pellet gun, suet is an irresistible lure.
But the best way to kill them is to use a trap:

1)-A Rat trap, the common steel and wood kind. Cheap, only $3. Place inside a wooden box with peanuts tied onto trigger. It whacks them on the back of the neck and breaks their spine, but they can pull out and suffer until they die from starvation. So check trap and surrounding area frequently if you use them. If still alive whack their heads with a hammer.

2)-Black Box Gopher trap. $23. Drill some holes in thick edges of plastic trap and screw to a length of 2X4 to create a closed space. U will need to cut 2x4 to allow clearance for trap wire. Bait with tied on peanut-in-the-shell. These traps crush throat and windpipe and may break spine also, resulting in rapid death. But, note that they are designed to trigger when gopher attempts to push past trigger, while what you want is for the squirrel to pull at tied up bait. So I bent trigger to bring it closer to outside (making sure to catch neck and not chest or paws), and bent retaining wire to make trigger more delicate to pulling.

3)-Specially made-for-squirrels kill traps. $60 +shipping. Hang on tree. Expensive and available only online. Buckerfields does not carry.

If you use a live trap, then you have the extra job of putting it in a garbage bag and gassing it with your car, perhaps not as stomach-able as merely bagging up an already dead body.

Gray squirrels will chew their way into birdhouses and eat the little birds. They will harass and chase the birds, even quails. They will steal naturalized nesting holes, eg: woodpeckers. They will gather up all the hazelnuts and walnuts before you get them and plant them all over your yard and garden. You will be pulling out deep-rooted little trees everywhere. They have very long sharp front teeth like daggers that can inflict serious damage on property, pets and wildlife. And they do not belong, as cute as they can appear.

Without a serious coordinated kill program with loaner specially made-for-squirrels kill traps supplied by the Regional District and/or City of Kelowna, these invasive species will completely drive out the indigenous squirrels and claim this habitat as their own. Judging from the kill-count on my little piece of property, it may already be too late.

For example, in Woodhaven Wildlife Sanctuary, the Grays are replacing the Browns and the Regional District seems unwilling to do anything. Last year every time I was in there, I saw the Grays chasing the Browns. The Regional District closed the park for winter and restricted access to most of the park to "protect owl habitat," yet do absolutely nothing about protecting the park from a Gray invasion. Shame!
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Castanet PETA group... ... ...
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

One of them lives in the trees at parkinson
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Postby Greg055 » Today, 12:44 pm

Gray Squirrel Update:
Last year I reported that there was 4, maybe 6 in my entire neighborhood. Surprise! I killed TWELVE, and they are still coming, indicating that for every one you count, there are 3 or 4 times more. They breed rapidly, having litters of 3 pups or more, twice a year, so kill action is necessary.

According to your "post count", that is NOT true.

Greg055
Liked in: 0 post
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

More places to report invasive species than the forum.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hra/invasive- ... asives.htm
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.

Return to “Grab Bag”