Question to Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote:The God of Israel sent his own representative in Jesus the Christ. That's a start.

[quote="jennylives"Prove it. That is most certainly not a start.[/quote]

Really, You want me to prove that Jesus existed? He is the Son of God?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Hmmm wrote:There is no scientific proof we evolved from nothing. Every theory seems to start with organic (living) matter and goes from there. As the famous saying goes, "get your own dirt".

As for me believing in a creator, I do for many reasons but one big one is, when I see design, I don't assume it just happened without a designer. Life is so complex from the single cells complex systems like a well tuned factory, to the universe and its incredible order. I see no big explosion causing any of this, why? Explosions NEVER cause complete order in anything.

I also believe most people that become Atheists do so because of religions failure to provide answers that make sense. This is not a good enough reason IMO to assume there is no creator.

PS I am also NOT a creationist. I believe in science. Of course thats proven science, not the speculation science of evolution.

Just because we haven't figured every detail of existence out as of today doesn't mean it occurred due to supernatural forces. We just don't know yet and that is ok.

Evolution is not speculation, it is a proven fact. And when commenting on it please remember abiogenesis and evolution are two completely separate scientific theories.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

averagejoe wrote:
Really, You want me to prove that Jesus existed? He is the Son of God?

Yes. Prove it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

averagejoe wrote:Why don't you prove he didn't exist first? I just look around every City, town and village Western Christian Civilization and I find a Church in every neighborhood. During the migrations of Europeans throughout the world, a Church was one of the first buildings built so they could Worship God and his begotten Son Jesus.

That is proof that churches and religions exist, not a god.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Hmmm wrote:As for me believing in a creator, I do for many reasons but one big one is, when I see design, I don't assume it just happened without a designer.
PS I am also NOT a creationist.

Uh, you believe you were created by a "designer" therefore you are a creationist; created.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

WhatThe wrote:Uh, you believe you were created by a "designer" therefore you are a creationist; created.

No I am not. You would think I am, however the term creationists has been taken over by religious fanatics and they are indeed a group. I am not part of their group, nor do I believe in their teachings. I am not a creationist.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

My questions were meant to gain understanding, but it appears impossible to have a "real" conversation on this topic here. I have removed all of them and will let the same old same old argument carry on...Have atter folks :)
Last edited by coffeeFreak on May 29th, 2014, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

This is the original post. Why is it so difficult to keep to the topic?

it would appear there are no atheists among us :)
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

coffeeFreak wrote:I find it sad that certain people who do not 'believe', feel the need to mock those who do. To me, it seems just as rude as when religious/spiritual folk try and shove their beliefs down a non-believers throat.

Why is religion put on a pedestal as something that can't be debated? Why is the mere act of questioning it, especially on a discussion board, seen as mocking in the first place? Why would you feel sad about that?

I speak up because I don't like that people automatically assume I believe as if it is the default position. I speak up because I believe as a whole religion causes more harm than good to modern society.

coffeeFreak wrote:I often wonder why people tend to assume that to "believe" is to believe in the bible. Also, to the atheists here, can a person be an atheist and still believe in a higher power?

The definition of an atheist is one who doesn't believe in a higher power so no.

coffeeFreak wrote:I have a completely opposite belief about children at birth, in that I believe they are the closest to 'spirit'. What newborn upon first sight, be it human or animal, does not bring out a sense of wonder and awe?

Religion doesn't have a monopoly on wonder and awe. All I have to do is look up in the sky at night and am gobsmacked by it.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

jennylives wrote:Just because we haven't figured every detail of existence out as of today doesn't mean it occurred due to supernatural forces. We just don't know yet and that is ok.

Evolution is not speculation, it is a proven fact. And when commenting on it please remember abiogenesis and evolution are two completely separate scientific theories.
YOU consider it a fact, however scientists who teach it, must do so as a theory. As for your other point, isn't it nice you have two separate ideas to go in? Its nice because you can feel free to believe in something that the basic benchmark is far far from proven. When people say evolution is a proven fact, I wonder where is that rock solid proof that science would love to point to, but still cannot?

Why not just say theres a lot of evidence you feel points to it? Don't say its a proven fact when scientists are still arguing amongst themselves about it, even ones who believe in evolution don't agree with each other. Far from proof in my books.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Just because you don't understand what a scientific theory is doesn't mean evolution isn't a proven fact. It's the reason the flu shot exists. It is true whether or not you want to believe it.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

If you wish to label me as an atheist, so be it. I don't need to label myself. I have no need for religion. I am content with my life. I don't need to believe in a higher power to keep from freaking out that we started from nothingness and end in nothingness. I do expect the same respect that you would give to religious person. Your own bible says it's not up to you to judge others. That too is ignored.

What is interesting is how hypercritical religion is. How many different religions came from one religion, each with a little bit different version to suit their own beliefs. Almost all use the same bible with a few changes to meet their needs. The bibles used are not even complete. They have several pages and scriptures removed.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

I don't need to believe in a higher power to keep from freaking out that we started from nothingness and end in nothingness.

driveangry, it would seem you do not believe in theoretical physics either :)
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:
driveangry, it would seem you do not believe in theoretical physics either :)

LOL, I don't know what that is !!!! LOL
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

but even with this theory, matter is created not from nothing, but light. just devised recently...

imagephoton-photoncollider.jpg

Imperial College London physicists have discovered how to create matter from light - a feat thought impossible when the idea was first theorised 80 years ago.

In just one day over several cups of coffee in a tiny office in Imperial's Blackett Physics Laboratory, three physicists worked out a relatively simple way to physically prove a theory first devised by scientists Breit and Wheeler in 1934.

Breit and Wheeler suggested that it should be possible to turn light into matter by smashing together only two particles of light (photons), to create an electron and a positron – the simplest method of turning light into matter ever predicted. The calculation was found to be theoretically sound but Breit and Wheeler said that they never expected anybody to physically demonstrate their prediction. It has never been observed in the laboratory and past experiments to test it have required the addition of massive high-energy particles.

The new research, published in Nature Photonics, shows for the first time how Breit and Wheeler's theory could be proven in practice. This 'photon-photon collider', which would convert light directly into matter using technology that is already available, would be a new type of high-energy physics experiment. This experiment would recreate a process that was important in the first 100 seconds of the universe and that is also seen in gamma ray bursts, which are the biggest explosions in the universe and one of physics' greatest unsolved mysteries.

http://phys.org/news/2014-05-scientists-year-quest.html
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”