Kelowna one of the most godless places in the world

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

What is Your Religious Affiliation?

Buddhist
1%
Christian (Catholic)
1%
Christian (Protestant)
14%
Christian (other)
9%
Wiccan
3%
Jewish
No votes
Muslim
1%
Sikh
No votes
Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality
3%
Other
5%
No Religious Affiliation
63%

Total votes: 94

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by JLives »

binky11 wrote:Yes.......interesting, Kelowna is one of the most Godless places, and has the fourth highest crime rate in the country. Don't fool yourself Into thinking there is no connection here. Before God was kicked out, there was very little crime. Canada and the USA have been declining in ALL areas, because we think we can be successful without God. I liked it better when HE was allowed and accepted and believed and honored. The world was a much better place.

Crime, especially violent crime, has actually been declining. So even if we have the fourth highest crime rate, we still have less crime than we used to.

It is also interesting to note that among the prison population there is a higher percentage of Christians than atheists.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I live downtown, I can assure you the crime rate is not declining. Are you listening to the mainstream media? Cuz they lie.
If we used to be the first, second, or third worst for crime, and now we are doing good cuz we dropped to the fourth worse city in the entire country, that is pretty bad. And I a doubt there are too many Christians in prison, maybe people that say they are Christians, but that covers a lot of people. Not many true Christians left anymore. Going to church makes you as much a Christian as much as going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

binky11 wrote:Not many true Christians left anymore. Going to church makes you as much a Christian as much as going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger.

Have to agree with that statement. I've been saying all along the biggest hypocrites are those in Church.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Hey if this here god is everywhere, how in hell can anywhere be godless?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

binky11 wrote:Yes.......interesting, Kelowna is one of the most Godless places, and has the fourth highest crime rate in the country. Don't fool yourself Into thinking there is no connection here.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that correlation implies causation either.

crimereligioncanada.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

binky11 wrote:I live downtown, I can assure you the crime rate is not declining. Are you listening to the mainstream media? Cuz they lie.
If we used to be the first, second, or third worst for crime, and now we are doing good cuz we dropped to the fourth worse city in the entire country, that is pretty bad. And I a doubt there are too many Christians in prison, maybe people that say they are Christians, but that covers a lot of people. Not many true Christians left anymore. Going to church makes you as much a Christian as much as going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger.

I live downtown too, in a house. We have lost 1 bike that was left out in the yard and some bottles. Mainstream media has reported the stats I am going by. With 24 hour news channels and the internet constantly reporting on the ills of the world it just seems like we have more crime now. We didn't have that 20 years ago when crime rates were actually higher.

Atheists are under represented in prison. Whether you call Christian prisoners real Christians or not is irrelevant. That is how they identify their faith and their beliefs are their own, just as yours are. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -imagined/
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm the only Muslim here?

The stats are juked!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I think it is relevant. Anybody can call themselves a christian. I know so many people that call themselves a christian. I see no evidence of it in their lives. Many people call themselves a Christian because they believe in God. That's bunk. Even the devil believes. I think you would be very hard pressed to find even two christians in prison. The world has a warped view on what a Christian is. A true Christian would indeed be living a life free of crime. Unfortuantly there are not many true christians around.
The police will report the crime rates are down. You will never hear the truth on mainstream media. I mean Obama comes on tv and says all the good he has done for the USA, and how much better the country is financially now. That's your first indicator to where the mainstream news is coming from. I just have to look out my window, I have seen the house across the street broke into five times in five years, who knows how many times I don't know about. I witness vandalism every weekend. I used to listen to the police scanner on the weekends. It would never be on the news that there was 14 domestic disturbences, 2 stabbings, 9 bar fights, numerous drinking drivers and more, all on a given night. The crime rate for a city this size is disturbing.
And hence the topic of this thread, yes I think Kelowna is a Godless city, but then again I think most cities are becoming that way. Remember back in the day when a school shooting would have been the worst incident that happened in the world and would have been the main news story for weeks! Now they cover them for a day, and move on to some celebrity getting breast implants. It's not even a big deal anymore, it happens so often. Our world is going crazy, can't deny that. And IMO, I DEFINATLY feel it is because we have kicked God out. We have told Him we don't want or need him. So.......hang on!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I DEFINATLY feel it is because we have kicked God out. We have told Him we don't want or need him. So.......hang on!

How do you kick out something that does not exist?
How do you tell a fantasy that it is not needed.

God is not now, nor ever was needed.
We're lost but we're making good time.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

binky11 wrote:I think it is relevant. Anybody can call themselves a christian. I know so many people that call themselves a christian. I see no evidence of it in their lives. Many people call themselves a Christian because they believe in God. That's bunk. Even the devil believes. I think you would be very hard pressed to find even two christians in prison. The world has a warped view on what a Christian is. A true Christian would indeed be living a life free of crime. Unfortuantly there are not many true christians around.

Binky, what is your definition of a "true Christian"?

I know the definition of a Christian to be anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Saviour. There are no prerequisites to this. The gift of salvation is free!

Do you think a "true Christian" should be living a life free of sin (crime)?

If you are looking for a "true Christian" that lives a life free of sin (crime) you will searching a long time. It is in our human nature to sin. Through Christ we are called to repent and know we have been saved by his blood.

It is unfortunate that the Christians you know do not display any visible fruit of the work of God in their lives. Maybe you are being to critical of them. The issue is between them and God, nothing for you or I to concern ourselves with. What about your own salvation? Are you a "true Christian"? How do you live this out in your life? How do others see you?
Last edited by TreeGuy on Dec 31st, 2014, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Bsuds wrote:Have to agree with that statement. I've been saying all along the biggest hypocrites are those in Church.

This is true, churches are full of hypocrites, you should come join us, we always have room for another! PM for the invite! ;)

Churches are full of people. People who are many things including hypocrites. People who are no different than you. People who are seeking a path in life that will free them from their burdens and sin.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

My definition of a Christian is the same as yours. Some one who has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as their saviour.
No, it is impossible for anyone to live a sin free life. However it is not impossible for someone to live a life free of crime. Big difference.
I am not sin free, but I do live a crime free life. I am. It saying I have never gone over the speed limit, but I Have done nothing that would render me a jail sentence. It is possible, very possible to live a life free of crime. It's not something I struggle with.
I do struggle daily to live a sin free life.
I do spend time in prayer and in the word daily. I feel I have a close personal relationship with our Lord. I am mournful when I sin and ask for forgiveness. I try my best to keep my eyes towards heaven. Always wanting to do Gods will and not my own. Always learning to accept it and even being thankful when I am taken out of my comfort zone. To make my life a living sacrifice.
Putting God before ALL and EVERYONE. Living my life to try to please HIM, not man. It's not about going to church, I feel there are very few real Christians in the churches today, not recognizing the difference between prosperity preaching, the pastors teaching live your best life now, telling the congregation exactly what they want to hear to keep them coming back. There is more than one way to heaven bla bla bla I went to a CHRISTMAS play at one of the larger churches in town two years ago, it was disgusting. Playing out the birth of Jesus using the words *bleep* and *bleep* your pie hole Ect. Everybody was laughing, but me. I have never been back. This is called Christianity of the times. I want nothing to do with it. The times have changed, but the bible has not. If people are reading their bibles they know that when they talk about Babylon it is the USA, and well I need not say more on that.
I am not being critical of the Christians unless they call themselves Christians and clearly their daily living shows otherwise. They believe and say now I lay me down to sleep when they go to bed, and that's the extent of it. Like the bible says, the path to heaven is narrow, not many are going to make it. I used to be one of those people. Thinking I was heaven bound because I believed. Because I did not read my bible back then.
Getting off topic here but just answering your question. I feel 100% in my mind that the world is in the mess it is in because we have told God to get out. Most of you will disagree, I can handle that.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I don't believe in sin so there's no struggle here. I live by the code of doing whatever I want so long as it doesn't harm anyone else and doing good because it's the right thing to do. I don't need fear of the afterlife to be a good person in this one.

You do not need god to be good. With our instant access to information and being able to connect with others, people are losing belief in outdated institutions. In another generation the modern god will go the way of Thor.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Fear of the afterlife???? I am so looking forward to when I am gone from this world and what is coming to me after I die!!!
Without this assurance, there is no hope. Living in this world full of hate, racism, violence, no no. This is just a brief period. This is not my real home.
You don't need God to be good no, but you need Him to go to heaven. But if you don't believe in Him or the bible, no sense going any further here. Neither of us will be swayed.Only if I was wrong and you swayed, the worse case scenario, you have lost nothing, if I was right, you have have gaimed eternity in heaven. if I swayed yo your way of the thinking , and you were wrong, I would go to hell. No I always wonder why non believers are the strongest witnesses of their non belief, just what if, what if, I was right? So no harm done if a Chrisitian witnesses and converts others, whether there is or isn't a God. But ........if you are wrong and convince others.......uhoh.
But I don't want this turning into a there is or isn't a God topic. That gets nowhere. I would rather stick to the thread topic.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

binky11 wrote:Fear of the afterlife???? I am so looking forward to when I am gone from this world and what is coming to me after I die!!!
Without this assurance, there is no hope. Living in this world full of hate, racism, violence, no no. This is just a brief period. This is not my real home.

I find that incredibly sad. This world is also full of love, discovery, adventure, happiness and all sorts of great things. How can you take joy in life when you are just biding your time until it is over?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”