Kelowna Councillors

Temporary forum for civic elections
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna Councillors

Post by kompili »

Captain Awesome wrote:Doesn't pay much.

I seen the list of Councillors. The pay is good for most of them.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

Info regarding the remuneration for the mayor and councillors positions can be found here:
http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page2022.aspx
The Mayor of Kelowna receives $89,457.91 annually where one-third is an allowance for expenses and thus non-taxable.
City of Kelowna Councillors receive $31,310.27 annually where one-third is an allowance for expenses and thus non-taxable.

And here are the top non-elected positions at city hall:
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/11 ... passes-60M
You'll see that the city manager, Ron Mattiussi, makes $258,728 annually. He's the one who's really in control. The entire council has to go through him to get any info.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

PDT wrote:City of Kelowna Councillors receive $31,310.27 annually where one-third is an allowance for expenses and thus non-taxable.

Oh yeah, huge money.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Captain Awesome wrote:She also has hair. Kelowna needs hair.

Yeah...That too..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

Section 115 of the Community Charter reads as follows:
Responsibilities of council members
115 Every council member has the following responsibilities:
(a) to consider the well-being and interests of the municipality and its community;
(b) to contribute to the development and evaluation of the policies and programs of the municipality respecting its services and other activities;
(c) to participate in council meetings, committee meetings and meetings of other bodies to which the member is appointed;
(d) to carry out other duties assigned by the council;
(e) to carry out other duties assigned under this or any other Act.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC ... Charter%20[SBC%202003]%20c.%2026/00_Act/03026_05.xml#division_d2e10514

This question is to all council candidates: What experience do you have that demonstrates you will be able to successfully contribute to the development and evaluation of the policies and programs of the municipality respecting it services and other activities?
kalonatia

Post by kalonatia »

You missed Alan Monk's website. It is www.votemonk.com. His platform can be viewed there and NOT just on facebook. Thanks!
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

If you need a buddy or a group of people to get yourself elected, you are not worthy to be on council.

We need independent thought processes to tackle these issues, provide individual opinions and come together with well thought-out collaborative results.

We don't need one ringleader, and a bunch of parrots pushing personal agendas through.

If you can't get elected on your own merits and just hope to slide on in on someone else's coattail, I don't see this as a job for you.

When you toss in the spouses, siblings, and the parents and child duos out there, they come across as people just looking for supplemental income, at least to me.

I'm going to vote this year, and I'm going to vote for those with proven experience that have the ability to stand on their own and think independently without a support network. I haven't voted for some of these people in the past, but they are getting my vote this time.

Anyhow, that's the only conclusion I can come to after seeing the candidate lists and the marketing to go along with it. I'm voting for the "UN-ALIGNED PARTY".
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

delSol97 wrote:
When you toss in the spouses, siblings, and the parents and child duos out there, they come across as people just looking for supplemental income, at least to me.

This is what this election is all about, easy supplemental income. All you have to do is raise your hand in agreement, when they take a vote.
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

I saw this election sign across from the Target store in Kelowna yesterday at 4.
Attachments
20141031_160747-1.jpg
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

The Mossman sign is perhaps the best election sign in the Kelowna municipal elections. I only wish they had more in depth policy platforms.

Previously on this forum I posted a series of questions that I sent to all Councillor candidates. Based on the replies received, public statements, and their website platforms her are my choices for Council.

Standing for re-election:

Gail Givens
Mohini Singh
Luke Stack

For election:

Ryan Doan
Tracy Gray
Mike McLoughlin
Charlie Hodge
Leslie Kendall

I believe that from the information I have received that this group has the best chance of moving the development of Kelowna urban centres, parks, and infrastructure forward in a way that respects both community involvement and fiscal responsibility.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
MikeCMcLoughlin

Post by MikeCMcLoughlin »

Thank you for your questions. Here are my answers! Thanks in advance for your support of the Prosper Kelowna slate.
erinmore3775 wrote:
Questions for those seeking a position on the Kelowna City Council in the November elections

How will you encourage community participation around the discussions on major developments, parks and trails, and transit? Do you value the input of Community/Neighbourhood Associations?

I support the neighborhoods initiative that had City staff meeting with community members in their neighborhoods at a block party or gathering. This needs to be an ongoing effort. My wife and I co hosted a block party in Hall Road area and we had over 100 people show up. It was a lot of fun and neighbors got to know each other. City needs to be involved in these events.

erinmore3775 wrote:How can the value of community amenities be increased when developers seek to build projects that exceed OCP bylaws? What will your policies insure that for increases in density and height the City receives substantial, tangible amenities that improve the surrounding adjacent neighbourhoods and are not simply “cash in lieu” deals?

I agree that development need to benefit the neighborhoods within which it happens. I support incentives for developers to provide a space for a community garden in their development.

erinmore3775 wrote:How will endeavour to increase the mix of low income/lower cost housing in each major new development?

I agree there needs to be a mix of low income housing in developments. I think there needs to be more density in certain areas of the city such as the downtown northend and around the town centres. I support fee simple row houses (zero lotlines) in these areas.

erinmore3775 wrote:How will your endeavour to increase further development of our non–central urban centres like Pandosy Village and Rutland?

I like the ”Our Rutland initiative with the city to get the community enthusiastic about changes to their town centre. Pandosy needs a similar initiative.
erinmore3775 wrote:How will endeavour to encourage and support the development of new clean technological and agricultural industries in Kelowna?

Kelowna needs a Food Security plan that integrates the local agricultural sector with local community gardens and empowers local retailers and restaurants to purchase local produce. In addition, the food bank and other social services need to have access to gleannings from community gardens as well as orchards. The Hope Centre from Willowpark Church operates the Community garden at our home and all the food goes to needy people in Rutland.
erinmore3775 wrote:Kelowna, if it is going to thrive into the future must be more than just a tourist/retirement town. Currently the major employers are Flightcraft, SD23, and the college and university. I would like to see how future councillors want to grow Kelowna. Currently most of the platforms I have seen are insular and focused solely on reducing taxes and services that by definition are not designed to “grow Kelowna” into the future.

Prosper Kelowna has a seven point plan to prosper the community over the next four years. We want to create a jobs ready environment. To do that we want to reduce red tape at city hall to speed up the development process and bring good paying jobs sooner rather than later to the city. We want to increase the affordable housing supply through changes in comprehensive zoning to make it easier for developers to build zero lot line fee simple row housing in the north end of downtown and in other locations in the city where land prices are more moderate. We want to reduce crime in our community.by providing the RCMP the resources they need to bring crime under control and make Kelowna the safest city in Canada. We want to provide food security for our citizens through increasing the number of community gardens and connecting food retailers with the local food producers. We want to see improvements in transit and parks. Finally, we want to provide the citizens of Kelowna the opportunity to vote in a referendum on the 2018 ballot on options regarding the use of the $30 million BC Gas Legacy Fund.
Cheers!
Mike McLoughlin
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thank you for your answers Mike, you will have my vote.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

KelownaResid wrote:I saw this election sign across from the Target store in Kelowna yesterday at 4.

I looked at his website votemossman.com and he's got my vote. He sounds like he stands for a balance between developers and and building a healthy community. Amongst other qualifications and community involvement, he's also served in the military.

So many good people running for council, too bad none of them are running for mayor.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Taxpayers First Envision Canal Walkway for Kelowna

The slate Taxpayers First has unveiled yet another campaign idea it would like to see become a reality if elected to Kelowna City Council.

I wonder how many tax dollars this is going to cost us.

http://www.*bleep*.com/news/news/Civic_Election_2014/14/11/12/Taxpayers_First_Envision_Canal_Walkway_for_Kelowna

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”