Kelowna School Trustee Candidates

Temporary forum for civic elections

Which 4 candidates will you choose as Kelowna School Trustees?

Poll ended at Nov 14th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Aaltonen, Scott
4%
Aubin, Nicholas
13%
Brinkerhoff, Joyce
10%
Cacchioni, Rolli
16%
Drohomereski, Sharlene
1%
Gorman, Chris
8%
Mossman, Lee
14%
Pagliocchini, Peter
20%
Pendharkar, Murli
9%
Tiede, Lee-Ann
6%

Total votes: 109

KGT
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna School Trustee Candidates

Post by KGT »

toughbeans wrote:Reg most definitely would have been an interesting candidate :)

I attended the All Candidates Forum in Rutland and it was well attended. I managed to speak with every trustee candidate and I have to say that those whom I had chosen initially have officially become 'null and void'...I'm looking towards those that attended the forum and answered my questions honestly and weren't 'ruffling feathers' by making rude or 'snooty' comments to the public :)

Got any suggestions?
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Did anyone attend the forum on Thursday night?
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

I did...I did...lol...I've also been taking notes...

It was interesting...Only 1/2 of those seeking election in Kelowna were in attendance (Rolli, Joyce, Lee, Murli, & Sharlene) and both candidates from West Kelowna were there (Tina & Julia)...There were quite a number of Teachers present and a number of the questions were relating to the recent Teacher job action and what has been seen as a lack of action on the part of the current Board to help the teachers.

In my opinion, Communication (or lack thereof) seemed to be a key focus of the forum rather than the students...Also unfortunate was the lack of presence by the general public...There were some people there but not nearly as many as I had hoped.

With respect to suggestions, I haven't made any decisions yet...other than I won't be voting for Mossman. Did a bit of research and found interesting tweets on the *bleep* website...
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

These are very hard choices for me because I really do not see any of the candidates going to bat for the students, the improvements necessary to make the system work better, or having ideas that would actively build better relationships between the Board and its employees and therefore make for better learning conditions for the students. Having said that, I must make a choice. My selections from a poor barrel of apples are:

Roli Cacchioni
Peter Pagliochini
Sharlene Drohomereski
Lee Mossman

These choices were made based on their observed performance, if previously elected, willingness to participate in forums, and their stated platforms.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

toughbeans wrote:I did...I did...lol...I've also been taking notes...

It was interesting...Only 1/2 of those seeking election in Kelowna were in attendance (Rolli, Joyce, Lee, Murli, & Sharlene) and both candidates from West Kelowna were there (Tina & Julia)...There were quite a number of Teachers present and a number of the questions were relating to the recent Teacher job action and what has been seen as a lack of action on the part of the current Board to help the teachers.

In my opinion, Communication (or lack thereof) seemed to be a key focus of the forum rather than the students...Also unfortunate was the lack of presence by the general public...There were some people there but not nearly as many as I had hoped.

With respect to suggestions, I haven't made any decisions yet...other than I won't be voting for Mossman. Did a bit of research and found interesting tweets on the *bleep* website...

I was there as well although I only listened, rather than asking questions.

I know Peter Pagliocchini was in Montreal attending his daughter's graduation from McGill but I'm not sure why the others weren't there. I was particularly interested in hearing how Chris Gorman responded to questions and was sorry he didn't attend. I believe he is only using the board as a stepping stone to big time politics and I tend to think his responses are geared that way.

Given that there are 22,000 students in this district and about 1200 (?) teachers, I was very disappointed in the general turnout. While I agree that communication and rebuilding staff relationships are important at this time, I too was sorry that there weren't other topics brought up. However, given that this particular forum was put on by the COTA and the COPAC, it isn't surprising that it had a teacher focus.

My biggest disappointment was their responses to the funding issues. While they all agree that funding is too low, no one but Mossman seemed to have any ideas on how to fight for more.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

toughbeans wrote:I did...I did...lol...I've also been taking notes...

I just checked out Mossman's tweets. What was your concern?
Lunerose

Post by Lunerose »

I've been active at my kids school and I've been attending school board meetings and COPAC meetings since August. Lee is one of my top pics, so I'm curious what has given you cause for concern as well. My other pics are Peter, Rolli, and Joyce.
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

I really don't know exactly how to explain my concern with Mossman other than I tend not to 'buy in' to those whom a number of Teachers are working to have voted in as they belong to another union - especially not when I'm approached to do so...If this hadn't been the case, perhaps my view/opinion of him may be different.

I am a firm believer that the most effective boards tend to have more of an assortment of individuals from various walks of life serving on it...
Lunerose

Post by Lunerose »

I think you need to suspend the fact that he's president of CUPE 338 from your judgement of him, and try to judge him based on all his merits. He's been deeply involved in his children's school, he's a well spoken businessman, professional, has experience in negotiations, deals well in high stress situations, and is willing to take a stand and fight for public education, which is more than a lot of the incumbents have done for us. Don't discount Lee simply because he's got the backing of other unions, that would be shortsighted.
Lunerose

Post by Lunerose »

Just a note too, just because there are four positions open, doesn't mean you need to cast four votes. Cast votes for the candidates you feel are the strongest.

Also, though some candidates weren't at the forum on Thursday, three of them sent in statements, Scott Aaltonen, Lee-Ann Tiede and Peter Paggliocini. Peter was watching his daughter graduate from University with her masters, I'd say that's a darn good reason to miss!

Also, the only candidates I've seen at board meetings or COPAC meetings were Lee-Ann, Nick Aubin and Peter. (Besides incumbents that is)
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Lunerose wrote:
Also, the only candidates I've seen at board meetings or COPAC meetings were Lee-Ann, Nick Aubin and Peter. (Besides incumbents that is)

And if you watch some of the incumbents at the meetings, you can tell they aren't really there either...
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

I have decided to be a lazy BC liberal, just tell me the 4 names to vote for

;)
Lunerose

Post by Lunerose »

KGT wrote:
And if you watch some of the incumbents at the meetings, you can tell they aren't really there either...

Well yes, but my point is that there are folks running for trustee who haven't even bothered to show up to meetings or even tried to feign interest in the position they are running for.

I asked at the forum if any of them had read the new proposed curriculum from BC education, or the skills blueprint. There were a few who had no idea what I was talking about. Running a school district isn't just about balancing the books folks, it's about kids futures and having great schools with great teachers to work with our students!

Logitack if you're going to be that lazy, don't vote for school trustees of you're not going to educate yourself.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

I honestly believe the whole current crop of local trustees
Did not take any kind of strong stand during the strike.
Time for a change.

But so far I would only vote for Lee Mossman.
Peter P. Was away from both of the forums I attended.
He should choose to campaign or attend graduations.

Ms. D......I am still considering.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

George+ wrote:I honestly believe the whole current crop of local trustees
Did not take any kind of strong stand during the strike.
Time for a change.

But so far I would only vote for Lee Mossman.
Peter P. Was away from both of the forums I attended.
He should choose to campaign or attend graduations.

Ms. D......I am still considering.

Mossman is a strong unionist, from what I hear. I'm guessing that gets your vote of confidence, Georeg.

I'm more interested in spending tax dollars on someone who will act in the best interests of spending my tax dollars. You know, a logical position.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”