Mark Thompson Letter to Editor

Temporary forum for civic elections
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Mark Thompson Letter to Editor

Post by LANDM »

Wow, I'm glad this guy wasn't elected!
I have never seen a losing candidate publicly be such a poor loser. Not one congratulation to the winners, just the words of a pathetic, bitter, loser still trying to fight a battle that is over.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_10ce6bf0-6c68-11e4-87a5-4fe9b86578d5.html?mode=jqm
You and 71 others Like this post
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Mark Thompson Letter to Editor

Post by George+ »

Or maybe recognizing the way it is.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Yup, that was a predictable yet sad response.

So, George, you feel that a losing candidate who places a very distant third place should take his earliest opportunity after the election to publicly rip apart the two candidates who did far better than him?

You *actually* feel that is appropriate rather than a congratulations to *all* candidates who were civic minded enough to let their names stand, whether they won or lost?

That certainly says a lot about both yourself and this person.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Losers tend to stick together. Georeg's response kinda confirms that.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Tad bitter hmm? Glad he didn't get a shot at the job - someone should call the waaabulance
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I was disgusted when I heard that Basran won the election. Who was so silly to have voted for him? Personally, I can't stand the guy, and the fact that he already had a full plate with everything else in his life, proves either he is a superman, or some aspect of his life is going to lose some dedication, and probably the one that pays the least.

I feel for Mark Thompson, I think he was the best pick for Mayor, second, Sharon Shepherd, and third Basran.
The people of Kelowna picked the wrong Mayor, and I'm *bleep* about it as well.
Oh, and the voter turnout is absolutely ridiculous!

It should be mandatory for everyone holding a valid I.D. card to vote.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

LANDM wrote:Wow, I'm glad this guy wasn't elected!
I have never seen a losing candidate publicly be such a poor loser. Not one congratulation to the winners, just the words of a pathetic, bitter, loser still trying to fight a battle that is over.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_10ce6bf0-6c68-11e4-87a5-4fe9b86578d5.html?mode=jqm

Early on in the election, I went to the kelowna.ca website to gather information on the candidates. He had no facebook page, no webpage, nothing. He may very well have been the best candidate, but he had zero profile. He calls out Basran for having the audacity to compare himself to other young leaders, perhaps a reference to Nenshi in Calgary? If so, he would know how Nenshi had the "purple wave", and a whole team using all means at their disposal to promote their candidate. Nenshi was in third place in the week leading up to election day, but persistence, constant marketing and promotion pushed him over the top. Mr. Thompson seemed to believe that if he just showed up, people would fall in line. When it seemed obvious that he wasn't resonating with voters, he and his team should have gone into overdrive, but instead, he whines about not being invited to the party.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

Retrosnap wrote:Early on in the election, I went to the kelowna.ca website to gather information on the candidates. He had no facebook page, no webpage, nothing. He may very well have been the best candidate, but he had zero profile. He calls out Basran for having the audacity to compare himself to other young leaders, perhaps a reference to Nenshi in Calgary? If so, he would know how Nenshi had the "purple wave", and a whole team using all means at their disposal to promote their candidate. Nenshi was in third place in the week leading up to election day, but persistence, constant marketing and promotion pushed him over the top. Mr. Thompson seemed to believe that if he just showed up, people would fall in line. When it seemed obvious that he wasn't resonating with voters, he and his team should have gone into overdrive, but instead, he whines about not being invited to the party.

Mark Thompson and Colin Basran ran for a council seat in 2011.

http://www.kelowna.ca/iElections/script ... on2011.htm

Mark got about 2,000 votes and Colin 13,000. Why was Colin so successful in 2011? The answer can be found at the below link

http://www.centroconsultinginc.com/case ... councilor/

Let Colin's success in 2011 and 2014 be a lesson to all future councillor and mayor candidates.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

UltraViolet wrote:I was disgusted when I heard that Basran won the election. Who was so silly to have voted for him? Personally, I can't stand the guy, and the fact that he already had a full plate with everything else in his life, proves either he is a superman, or some aspect of his life is going to lose some dedication, and probably the one that pays the least.

I feel for Mark Thompson, I think he was the best pick for Mayor, second, Sharon Shepherd, and third Basran.
The people of Kelowna picked the wrong Mayor, and I'm *bleep* about it as well.
Oh, and the voter turnout is absolutely ridiculous!

It should be mandatory for everyone holding a valid I.D. card to vote.

What do you think of his letter?
Does it exhibit the behaviour or personality traits that you would wish to see in a mayor?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Thompson brought up real issues.

Thousands of people have no confidence in
Basran. He will have to prove himself.

Thompson is right about the water boards.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

George+ wrote:Thompson brought up real issues.

Thousands of people have no confidence in
Basran. He will have to prove himself.

Thompson is right about the water boards.

Then I will ask you also.....just a simple question that is totally on topic.....what do you think of this letter and do you think it exhibits the behaviour or personality traits you wish to see in a mayor?

Try to not drift off the topic....just wondering about the letter.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Actually, suckers tend to hang together.

The suckers are the folks who believe one of these candidates was a 'conservative' and the others were not.

The suckers are the ones who were sold a unicorn and rainbows Basran that doesn't exist.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

I understand what Mr. Thompson is saying; perhaps some of you are not smart enough to see it.

The simple fact is elections in Kelowna are no longer decided by voters, they are decided by a small group of men and their money.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

But this debate does help to illustrate just how addled 'conservative' brains have become.

If any of the top three candidates is a liberal, it is Basran. The liberal arts student and reporter of East Indian descent.

Duh.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

This election was never about liberals and conservatives to me. It was about picking an experienced candidate or an inexperienced candidate that I considered to be a poser.

I do find it amusing that so many far-right conservatives were suckered into voting for the liberal lad, though.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”