Skaha Lk Rd and Yorton Development

twobits
Guru

Re: Skaha Lk Rd and Yorton Development

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:I wonder twobits, they are perfectly positioned to scoop all the business from the high concentration of apartments and condos nearby, that's a year-round market, and there's a considerable whack of motels in the neighbourhood. It's looking pretty good for them to capture a chunk of the market that had up till now been traveling much farther to get to places like the South Main Grocery and the 7/11. Personally the bakery at the South Main Grocery will always be a big draw for me, but the new place has got good positioning for walk-in traffic.

No gas bar, slushy but not an obscene slurpy, no fresh coffee, no fast food hot dogs, 6 buck large pizza's, chicken skewers, breakfast sandwiches, daily fresh subs (all yuk but in demand). #2, no fresh produce, no bakery, no butcher, no grocery staples isles like gravy or pasta sauces, rice, pasta noodles, bacon, eggs, yogurt or cottage cheese above a lunch kit serving size. No garlic toast or cheese kaisers.
If you lived in that hood, which store would you go to first.
I'll stand by my prediction, 15 months.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Don't forget hours of operation and prices.

Niche things like food can compete in small business. Grocery and convenience cannot. Read Old Town Farm Market.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote:Don't forget hours of operation and prices.

Niche things like food can compete in small business. Grocery and convenience cannot. Read Old Town Farm Market.

I like your thinking. Old Town Farm Market might actually do ok in that location. Another pop and potato chip store will not. Especially without gas pumps.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

JagXKR wrote:The Bistro is open. Have not tried it but good timing for the summer tourist season.

Say what?

The building across the corner from Anthony's?

I thought that place was gonna be flattened. Nothing in there has worked for years.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I used to enjoy Dalla's Steak House at that location (think that's what it was called). Sad when it closed down.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:I used to enjoy Dalla's Steak House at that location (think that's what it was called). Sad when it closed down.

Zalla's

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
Zalla's

My ooops. Thanks twobits.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

onestop67 wrote:I thought that place was gonna be flattened.

Did the old buildings come down completely or was this just a face-lift?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:Did the old buildings come down completely or was this just a face-lift?

It was a complete demo quite a few yrs ago. That whole property was part of the proposed retirement resort that hinged on getting a waterfront clubhouse. They had the crane installed there for a few yrs too. Can't remember the guy's name (some lawyer from Vancouver) but he is the same person that ran into problems in Kaleden with the destruction of riparian habitat to create a new access driveway to his waterfront property. He kinda just disappeared like the hockey dorm dude.

ETA- Was the guy Mel Reeves?? Just don't remember for sure.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

This memory archive exercise has made me remember the whole controversy of that proposed development. The Yorkton/Skaha retirement complex hinged on a piece of designated park property that the City owned being leased for a "Cabana Clubhouse" tied to the resort development. I believe it was on the South side of Elm Ave. It was emphatically rejected by the council of the day as an inappropriate use of public park lands.
Fast forward to today. A mayor and Councillors (I did try to warn you casanetters pre election) that are so incompetent that they are going to give up 25% of the green space at the south end of Skaha Park to a private enterprise for a friggen water slide.
Big face palm from 2bits.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I remember a bit about that kafuffle. The developer wanted the cabana for the exclusive use of residents of his condo complex, a private beach on public land so to speak which was where the innappropriate aspect came into play. Not an improvement available for all to use like the proposed water park.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 11th, 2015, 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Potentially libelous
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

There is a small café, (better deals and selection at gas station 2 blocks across the street). A pizza place (over priced for what it is) and convenience store that so far is more expensive and carries a lot less than than the gas station 2 blocks away.

The buildings have as much appeal as a car wash. Anyone driving or walking past that corner could mistake them for a car wash or gas station without pumps. Nothing that would draw in pedestrian or drivers. You would think that given closeness to beach and new development on that corner, the developer (and City) would think about making it a bit more attractive given it's so big on tourists and beautification of the City. Check it out. See what you think. They are open. No outdoor tables, umbrellas, flowers, greenery just ugly utilitarian looking buildings baking in sun.

Good chance they will be vacant in 2 years time.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read there will only be 5 waterslides? If so, that will not attract tourists.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems we all agree. They knocked down a pizza place and a convenience store so they could build a pizza place and a convenience store. Then they didn't put a retirement home on park land so they tore down a waterslide to build a retirement home and now they're building a waterslide on park land. (Not necessarily in that order.)

Ugh it makes me nauseous.

They're holding some pro waterslide rally downtown tonight to rival the con rally. I hope it gets out of hand. People on both sides of that argument are just so... ignorant.

Return to “North Okanagan”