Westside Road about 5k N of Lk Okanagan Resort

Fire-related topics
Frisk
Guru

Re: Westside Road about 5k N of Lk Okanagan Resort

Post by Frisk »

Madadam is it windy where you're at? It's dead calm in downtown kelowna.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

1 heli left and he has to stop at 9 pm.

Steady light wind from the north still.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Quailize wrote:This fire is threatening the largest number of homes of any fire in BC and therefore should be priority #1.

There's been over 1300 little dots come and go, off of that map so far this year, and it's only July 22. I watch those dots come and go on a regular, almost routine basis.

Under these conditions any of those 1300 fires could have an impact.

For example: yesterday, for a couple hours, I'd say there was a very small fire in Naramata that had the potential to threaten way more homes. In a couple of days that particular dot will probably disappear. I'm sure as I was thinking that, there were people in Oliver, Christina Lake, Nelson, Falkland, Vancouver Island...etc - all thinking the same thing about the fires they were looking at.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

All quiet on the fire front, last heli has returned to base.

They cancelled the skimmers as the forestry official was very happy with what the helis were able to do.

Whole fire:

Wedevening.JPG
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

shocking and surprising to see the shear width of the fire now
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

Quailize wrote:It's all about money. They try and use the least amount of resources possible.

Well yes, I would certainly hope so Qualize.

It's taxpayer's money paying for this, I would expect our government to use their expertise to deploy resources where needed.

Quailize wrote:This fire is threatening the largest number of homes of any fire in BC and therefore should be priority #1.

Kelowna isn't the centre of the universe.

I agree with tsayta: I for one am pretty damned confident these men and women know what they are doing.
Joshmite0904

Post by Joshmite0904 »

Okay, I was just looking to see what I could see from the top of Clifton, not a very good view I must say. But there was quite a large smoke plume on the south side closer to the ridge with some tree candling everyone in a while. Does anyone know how far it was pushed over because from the view I had it looked like it was almost above the resort. I must be wrong. There must be increased activity on the fire since 10:00.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Madadam...are you watching it now? I just came up from the beach. Watched it for a good 45 minutes. That south flank is really a pain in the butt. I was quite surprise to see how active it still is even right now looking out my front window. At first there was a small area but it slowly crept up as well as down towards the lake. It's pretty active right now - lots of trees candling all the way down that side as well as a lot of the top of the ridge.
When the skimmers & helis took off for the night it didn't look too bad but WOW - when the smoke clears & dark sets in holy smokes ! She's lit up like a Christmas tree. They're going to be fighting this one for awhile unless we get some major soaking rain. I cannot believe the number of spot fires all throughout the entire hillside.
Joshmite0904

Post by Joshmite0904 »

Yah Tootsie Thanks for backing me up I definitely saw an active aggressive fire on the south side when I was up there.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Drip_Torch wrote:I'm having trouble finding the fire they should have had the air support on?

I assume it's on this map somewhere?

Drip_Torch use the little hand to move the area of the map you wish to look at. Then use your mouse wheel to pan in or out. You need to hold your mouse button down to move the map to a new area. When you move the little hand to a dot on the map a finger will project, touch the circle and mouse click. Gives you information on that fire. Hope that helps.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I think he was being facetious 
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Joshmite...no it's still a ways from Lake OK Resort....but with how wacky these winds have been I would still be a bit nervous south of that southern flank tonight. But having said that you have to know that I'm at lake level and can only see so much.
OK...just went back outside & looked. Wow - what a difference an hour makes. Temps have dropped & so has the fire activity. Not nearly as wild as an hour ago. Keep your fingers crossed for an uneventful night ! It's looking better !
Not at all close to what it looked like last night.
Good luck for a successful day tomorrow to all of our hardworking firefighters. That has GOT to be not only dangerous but miserable work. I, for one, thank you thank you thank you !
You never know when it might be YOUR neighbourhood that's threatened.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

tsayta wrote:I think he was being facetious 

Was kinda wondering why he would not know how to read the Active Fire map. Well at least others know now.
Last edited by trapp on Jul 23rd, 2015, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Big difference between last night and tonight. One blessing is we didn't have the strong gusty winds that pushed the fire and smoke down to the lake and then changed late night to winds from the north. Its pretty calm out there now. Plus the helis did incredible work on the worst spots. Knocked a lot of them down.

Also looks like there is some northern lights happening.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

That wasn't the lightning map, that was the dispatch map showing all the fires.

Was kinda wondering why he would not know how to read the lightning map. Well at least others know now.[/quote]

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”