Re: Campfire ban lifted

Post by Noilly »

Wayyyyyyyy too soon!!!!!!!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Noilly wrote:Wayyyyyyyy too soon!!!!!!!

Totally agree....far too soon. Likely pressure from the public, campers and hunters. Still a mess in the woods; too dry to have ANY fire.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

oh good. i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this is a really bad idea. i thought i was being paranoid.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

ferri wrote:oh good. i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this is a really bad idea. i thought i was being paranoid.

I was talking to a Fire Warden (the folks that go around and check on campfires, etc) and he said yesterday that he would be surprised to see the ban lifted by mid-September at the earliest. This one caught everyone off guard and HAS to come from public pressure.

Dumb move, totally!
Noilly

Post by Noilly »

Those poor firefighters.....ask these guys what they think about this stupid, dumb, idiotic, ridiculous idea!! I can't write what I really feel!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You know, in the old days they had something called personal responsibility. You are responsible for maintaining your own campfire, and putting it out when you're done. These days they instead just treat everyone like little children, and ban them completely.

The Chilcotin plateau is the only place left in the province with a fire ban, though if you're a native fisherman catching salmon right now, you're going to have your campfire going anyway. At least that's how things worked when I used to do fire patrol.

dr aug 31 2015.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Mastercraft69
Fledgling

Post by Mastercraft69 »

I have to totally disagree with lifting the ban. In my opinion with the very reasonable propane fire pits for camping now days that's the only thing that should be allowed in unsupervised forestry sites. I'm not old or grumpy just trying to keep people safe from idiots.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Not too soon to remove the fire ban. Still lots of moisture in the forecasts. Hazard is low to moderate. It is the time of year for cooler temperatures and high overnight recovery. Campers have a responsibility to make sure their campfires are attended at all times, and completely extinguished. This means you do not go into your tent or trailer for a nap and leave your fire burning. You put it out when you go to bed at night or leave. Pay attention that you need a shovel and at least 8 liters of water. When you extinguish your fire do not just dump water on it. Pour water, stir, add more water.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I thinks its awesome. First thing Im doing this weekend is heading to the alpine and roasting some smokies. :)
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

lots of moisture in the woods I live in the bush and plan on having a campfire from Thursday night until march
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

For you complainers out there, the campfire ban is lifted for good reason. Not only is it wet and cool, it is also quite humid. Here is the latest relative humidity map for BC:

rh aug 31 2015.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I also agree,

Going to go have a campfire all weekend!!!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Right on. Not too early.
Your bias suits you.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I'm sure they could always put the ban back up if conditions change. But right now the forests are quite moist so why not.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”