They fought for our freedom

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by GordonH »

Ka-El wrote:Nice pics GB :up:

I second this :up: :up:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
swanny10

Post by swanny10 »

My father -Walter Ernest Swanson -from Sarnia -Ontario- born April 7 1927-Enlistested 3 times during the second world war-wanting to go overseas -along with his older brothers-----Dad 3 times Discharged -for being underage-Last time Diebert Nova Scotia -1944-Ready for D-DAY---My Grandfather told him he could enlist as long as he stayed in Canada-underage - Well he had to stay in Canada -even though -only 2 out of 5 Brothers came home with injuries---My Father then went to Northern Alberta -Was a trucker -Married my Mother 1953 -Then Enlisted in Princess Patricias Canadian Lite Infantry- Off to Germany we went-1955-57- He discharged from PPCLI -1958---But THAT was Not enuff for him -We as a family-moved to Prince Rupert BC -Dad joined again in the Irish Fusileers-- Became Seargent Major -Finally Dischrged from Military Service -1965-----I have All of the Discharge Papers---His Favorite saying -Was "Canada -Would Not be where we are at it " --- if it IWere Not for persons /Canadians--That did their Duty.---- I honestly have All of his Discharge Papers.
swanny10

Post by swanny10 »

True-Done.
swanny10

Post by swanny10 »

PPCLI--- LAdies -Rica Dam -Doo.
swanny10

Post by swanny10 »

Check it out on the Computer-Google-wherever-PPCLI -RCA DAM DO Song.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:
IMGP2961 (Small).jpg

R.I.P. to My Dad who passed away 2 years ago and to his friends who died in WWII in Oostende Belgium from an accidental explosion and fire of some MTB's.

He never did talk much about it but I know it affected him deeply that many of his friends were killed and he survived.

Lest We Forget!

Bump!

We should never forget what these people did so we could be free!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

robert Metcalfe.jpg

If you look at the back right-hand side of a Canadian $10 bill, you will see an old veteran standing at attention near the Ottawa War Memorial. His name is Robert Metcalfe and he died last month at the age of 90.

That he managed to live to that age is rather remarkable, given what happened in the Second World War. Born in England , he was one of the 400,000 members of the British Expeditionary Force sent to the mainland where they found themselves facing the new German warfare technique - the Blitzkrieg.

He was treating a wounded comrade when he was hit in the legs by shrapnel.

En route to hospital, his ambulance came under fire from a German tank, which then miraculously ceased fire. Evacuated from Dunkirk on HMS Grenade, two of the sister ships with them were sunk.

Recovered, he was sent to allied campaigns in North Africa and Italy . En route, his ship was chased by the German battleship Bismarck .

In North Africa he served under General Montgomery against the Desert Fox, Rommel.

Sent into the Italian campaign, he met his future wife, a lieutenant and physio-therapist in a Canadian hospital. They were married in the morning by the mayor of the Italian town, and again in the afternoon by a British padre.

After the war, they settled in Chatham , Ontario , where he went into politics and became the warden (chairman) of the county, and on his retirement he and his wife moved to Ottawa . At the age of 80 he wrote a book about his experiences.

One day out of the blue he received a call from a government official asking him to go downtown for a photo op. He wasn't told what the photo was for, or why they chose him. 'He had no idea he would be on the bill,' his daughter said.

And now you know the story of the old veteran on the $10 bill

RM book.jpg
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

I remember my Dad talking about his ship getting hit. They were on the deck and all hell broke loose. He turned to look for the guy that was next to him and he was gone. (dead and not much left) He never talked about the war much only the good times he had with people or what his Convoy did. Never went to the Cenotaph, as he said I can remember just as well at home. I understand why they say so many self medicated, no help for their PTSD. Maybe we should remember them all the time when we do things that we appreciate and not just on one day of the year.
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBINba7BiVE
Every year again this has brought tears to our eyes
Since 1991 the school children of Holten, Netherlands have on December 24th, placed candles on the graves of the Canadian soldiers who died liberating the town of Holten in the 2nd World War.
I have 2 parents who are in the 'final stage' of their lives and who both lived through the war in the Netherlands and have told us many many stories. They moved here 40 yrs ago and I was only 30 yrs behind them :up:
We remember.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"You people ... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," Cherry said during a broadcast on Sportsnet Saturday night. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price."

All Canadians and those wishing to be, remember and should show respect to those who fought for this country!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Please do not forget the military men and women stationed in Germany and Berlin to protect against the spread of Communism.

This Berlin Wall photo is one I took off of facebook with permission.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

My partner was in Berlin at the wall when the wall fell. He brought back several pieces of the wall. When he died I gave the pieces to his close friends here in Canada.

I feel there is a need to keep educating our kids on the meaning of Remembrance Day and am pleased to see a gradual increase in the number of people participating and attending Remembrance Day ceremonies. The kids need to hear, read and see the horrors of what war is/was. Our leaders also need these reminders and to recognize the symptoms of the psychopathy that infects a society that may lead to such an unthinkable outcome. There will be no one 'coming home' after the next one.
Chill
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Ken7 wrote:"You people ... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," Cherry said during a broadcast on Sportsnet Saturday night. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price."

All Canadians and those wishing to be, remember and should show respect to those who fought for this country!

But today isn't about Don Cherry, or even buying poppies for that matter.

It is about Remembering. Lest we Forget.

You can find your family here: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... r-memorial

I found pictures, the entries in the book of remembrance and more.

2766256_1.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Not sure that this is the correct discussion for this question, but will leave it up to the mods to decide.

At the ceremony at the cenotaph in Lumby on Monday morning there was an RCMP member standing on the edge of the area with a service rifle. I would suspect it was loaded - and it looked like he had additional clips on his chest.
In talking with a few others around the valley, Enderby had the same thing happen, a visible "heavily armed" RCMP guard.

In all my almost 60ish years of attending Remembrance Day activities I have never seen this before.
It did not make me or the wife feel safe or secure by any stretch of the imagination.

Did this happen in other communities across BC, or the country???
Was there a threat that "we the public" should have been informed about?
Does anyone have any info on why this happened?

Having an armed guard at a public ceremony in a village the size of Lumby or Enderby does nothing to make anyone feel safe.

Your thoughts?
NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

Return to “Canada”