Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Queen K »

You got some of them for sure then. I am still gathering many more too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Catsumi wrote:Mea culpa!

Visited garden this morning and found Four nice cucs. At last!

Can anyone figure out why cucs in stores are hermetically sealed tight in plastic wrap and then bagged AGAIN in plastic?

They can't breathe and tend to go punky from the inside although look great on the outside.

Yuk

Cukes ripen easily from ethylene gas.
I think plastic wrapping them helps sheild them therefore extending shelf life.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

A friend was helping me pick tomatoes in my garden. He found one "hiding" - it had split and had a few bugs in it but it was larger than a softball! It was a little smaller than your average cantelope :200:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

What variety? I've got some pretty big striped marvels but they're not softball sized.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Barney Google wrote:What variety? I've got some pretty big striped marvels but they're not softball sized.

Marianne's Peace. Largest I've ever had was Mortgage Lifter, though that one isn't doing as well this year.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I just came in from gardening. Damn hot out there!

So I came back in, kill me now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If anyone wants to get rid of excess tomatoes, I can take them.

OR, you can do this recipe or one of dozens like it and you'll want more tomatoes!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/157 ... t-tomatoes

We use all kinds of tomatoes for roasting in the oven, no need for any special kinds.

Slootman, this one's for you especially, k? :biggrin:
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_1831.jpg
IMG_1933.jpg
Trying to ID this canna lily. Bulbs were given to me last year by a woman in Kelowna who didn't know what variety etc they are.
She did say that she bought the plant at one of the local big box stores so possibly someone here also has some.
Bulbs were planted this past spring and the plant now tops 10'+
Possibly Canna indica 'purpurea'.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

IMG_1889.jpg
The bulbettes of the above canna.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yippee...just harvested those French Breakfast radishes i planted a couple of weeks ago. They're perfect, no little bites out of them. :130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm ready to pull up all the stuff not producing a thing. The heat and impeding water shortage are getting me down.

I will dig in all the compost I have now. Very worm rich. And keep harvesting tomatoes until frost. But that seems to be the only thing going expect for a few zukes and cukes. Potato tops are still very green though. Might save them.

Anyone else had it?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I need to harvest and freeze my chard. I am not canning anything this year, no time for it. My turnips are immense though, pleasantly surprised by that :)

Cherry tomatoes producing like mad, bigger ones not as much. The Blue Belle was a really nice one, and I always love the brandywines. Soooo tasty! My butternut squashes apparently did not produce anything, and regular spaghetti squash went overboard (about 3 to a plant or more!). I have two canteloupes, a golf-ball sized watermelon and two decent looking pumpkins (for the first time!). Oh, and ground cherries. Plus the autum gold raspberries are producing, the root stock plums are ready which means the grafted italian prune plums should be ready in a week or so.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Our green beans are still producing like crazy and the everbearing raspberries are going nuts too.
I picked up what I need to build another raised bed yesterday (minus the soil) Will try to rototill the area in the next few days in prep.
Any recommendations as to soil I should use and where to get it? (other than stealing it out of Bmans yard)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bsuds wrote:Our green beans are still producing like crazy and the everbearing raspberries are going nuts too.
I picked up what I need to build another raised bed yesterday (minus the soil) Will try to rototill the area in the next few days in prep.
Any recommendations as to soil I should use and where to get it? (other than stealing it out of Bmans yard)

I recommend the Nature's Gold - it's expensive, but definitely worth it. I've heard the yellow bag is pretty good, I think slootman was looking into that a while back?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://dustwithflour.blogspot.ca/2011/0 ... skins.html

Made tomato chips today.

14 quarts of roma tomatoes.
All peeled.

Juice and sauce and fresh eating :biggrin:

Return to “Creative Endeavours”