TV Leaders' Debate

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Re: TV Leaders' Debate

Post by BeingHuman »

Old Techie attempts to point out one thing the BC Liberals can point to in the past 16 years as an accomplishment, and he responds with the Bennett Bridge and an overpass.

So that's it??? Exactly how does that bridge and overpass benefit BC? This is a "provincial" government we are talking about, how has this Liberal Government benefited the province? What one accomplishment is there they (BC Liberals) can point to and be proud of???? The answer is; nothing, zip, zilch, nada!!! If there was something we would have heard about it by now!!!
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Like I said before, that is all they have is personal attacks, the Lib-Cons can't point out their accomplishments because they have none! It was suppose to be LNG but that turned out to be delusional, so what do they have? NOTHING!!!
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Jx3 wrote: In those cases I look to the next best option that most closely represents my own personal values and beliefs. More often than not I find that no one particular party's platform represents my values and beliefs completely so there is always a degree of compromise.

Exactly, so let's just agree to disagree. The BC Liberals most closely represent your own personal values and beliefs and I wouldn't vote for them if they were the last party on earth and the NDP, in this case, most closely represents my own personal values and beliefs and you feel the same way about them. Neither is wrong nor right, it is just our personal choice, agreed..??

So how about we discuss the topics at hand and forget about the personal attacks and name calling... :up:
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

BeingHuman wrote:Old Techie attempts to point out one thing the BC Liberals can point to in the past 16 years as an accomplishment, and he responds with the Bennett Bridge and an overpass.

So that's it??? Exactly how does that bridge and overpass benefit BC? This is a "provincial" government we are talking about, how has this Liberal Government benefited the province? What one accomplishment is there they (BC Liberals) can point to and be proud of???? The answer is; nothing, zip, zilch, nada!!! If there was something we would have heard about it by now!!!
This should be in the "Deny the obvious" thread that I started. Long lists have been provided many times of accomplishments but of course bridges, hospitals, medical schools are not "province-wide" so under your definition fifty different things in fifty different areas don't count as accomplishments. The NDP may well win this election but it will be because voters are ready for a change and not because there have been no accomplishments. It's too bad you belittle medical schools, universities, bridges, cardiac departments etc. and on that I think most people would disagree with you.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^
BC Liberal member quits party amid Port Moody-Coquitlam MLA's comments
Former Anmore mayor Hal Weinberg ripped up his party membership card last week over comments made by BC Liberal MLA Linda Reimer about health care.
Janis Cleugh / Tri City News

Weinberg, who in 2014 was presented with the Order of BC by Premier Christy Clark, said he has become increasingly frustrated with the BC Liberals and especially his riding association, which he charged never discussed party policy.

"There doesn't seem to be any real interest, certainly at the riding association level," he said. "The interest seems primarily to knock on doors and get money."

Asked what party he's likely to back on May 9, Weinberg said he's unsure but "likes" the NDP's Rick Glumac.

"I'm out [of the campaign] now — and relieved," Weinberg said.

- See more at: http://www.tricitynews.com/provincial-e ... 8Rb60.dpuf
Chill
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:I keep saying this: there is only 1 poll that matters, the rest are just predictions.

Exactly.

Given that all the polls are based on input from people, it's hard to give them much credence, particularly when many use them for amusement, and purposely give incorrect responses.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Old Techie wrote: Oh what the heck I'll throw in a bonus, and give you two. The Oyama bypass, which has most assuredly already saved lives, given how many were lost on the old section of road. Never mind how many times transportation was brought to a halt when there was a wreck.

LAKE COUNTRY - Today, the new four-lane, nine-kilometre section of Highway 97 between Winfield and Oyama will officially open to traffic.
"Our government is proud to have partnered with the Province on this important initiative that will enhance safety and ease traffic congestion for residents and travellers along this heavily-used section of Highway 97," said Kelowna-Lake Country MP Ron Cannan, on behalf of Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport. "Our investments are delivering real results for the Okanagan Valley, and we will continue to support projects that create good local jobs and promote long-term economic growth in the region."
"Highway 97 will improve travel for residents and visitors to the Okanagan by making transportation safer and more efficient," said Kelowna-Lake Country MLA and Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier Norm Letnick. "This project will also strengthen our economy by improving commercial traffic flow through this important corridor, and has the added environmental benefit of a route that protects our scenic lake-front spaces."
The $77.9-million project was completed on time and on budget, and funded under the Building Canada Fund. The B.C. government invested $51.1 million and the Government of Canada funded $26.8 million. Approximately 400 direct jobs were created over the life of the project.

Nice try Old Techie, like sooo many other projects including the highway expansion from Peachland to Summerland Christy and the BC Liberals like to take full credit for things that were already well underway by the Federal Government. But it's understandable that all the "Tax Payer" Funded advertising has brainwashed you into believing otherwise.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Yes when the two things (jobs and the economy) the BC Liberal government runs on for 16 years gets nowhere, I guess they have to point to a hospital, or clinic, or bridge being built... how sad and kind of pathetic. The BC Liberal ads we are all hearing on the Radio and TV are provincial ads, you won't hear them bragging about a hospital in this city or that city being built, you won't hear about a bridge in Kelowna being built, why? Because they are NOT provincial issues, they are local issues.

But sadly, that is all they have to brag about, gee I was at least hoping for a debt free BC!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci8N_zrUgAA3ouu.jpg
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BeingHuman wrote:Old Techie attempts to point out one thing the BC Liberals can point to in the past 16 years as an accomplishment, and he responds with the Bennett Bridge and an overpass.

The best economy in Canada, but given that you are stuck on a river in Egypt, I know that won't register with you either, and you'll pull another strategically selected statistic out of your hat.

The funny part is, if you made the slightest effort to judge the NDP, by the same metric you are using against the Liberals, the NDP wouldn't have a prayer of measuring up either.

You think there wasn't anywhere in BC, with higher unemployment issues, than the lower mainland, when the NDP were in power? Think again.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

BeingHuman wrote:Yes when the two things (jobs and the economy) the BC Liberal government runs on for 16 years gets nowhere, I guess they have to point to a hospital, or clinic, or bridge being built... how sad and kind of pathetic. The BC Liberal ads we are all hearing on the Radio and TV are provincial ads, you won't hear them bragging about a hospital in this city or that city being built, you won't hear about a bridge in Kelowna being built, why? Because they are NOT provincial issues, they are local issues.

But sadly, that is all they have to brag about, gee I was at least hoping for a debt free BC!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci8N_zrUgAA3ouu.jpg

Not sure if this is a serious post or not. Building hospitals and highways are under the jurisdiction of the provincial government not local municipalities.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

krocky wrote:
Old Techie wrote: Oh what the heck I'll throw in a bonus, and give you two. The Oyama bypass, which has most assuredly already saved lives, given how many were lost on the old section of road. Never mind how many times transportation was brought to a halt when there was a wreck.

LAKE COUNTRY - Today, the new four-lane, nine-kilometre section of Highway 97 between Winfield and Oyama will officially open to traffic.
"Our government is proud to have partnered with the Province on this important initiative that will enhance safety and ease traffic congestion for residents and travellers along this heavily-used section of Highway 97," said Kelowna-Lake Country MP Ron Cannan, on behalf of Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport. "Our investments are delivering real results for the Okanagan Valley, and we will continue to support projects that create good local jobs and promote long-term economic growth in the region."
"Highway 97 will improve travel for residents and visitors to the Okanagan by making transportation safer and more efficient," said Kelowna-Lake Country MLA and Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier Norm Letnick. "This project will also strengthen our economy by improving commercial traffic flow through this important corridor, and has the added environmental benefit of a route that protects our scenic lake-front spaces."
The $77.9-million project was completed on time and on budget, and funded under the Building Canada Fund. The B.C. government invested $51.1 million and the Government of Canada funded $26.8 million. Approximately 400 direct jobs were created over the life of the project.

Nice try Old Techie, like sooo many other projects including the highway expansion from Peachland to Summerland Christy and the BC Liberals like to take full credit for things that were already well underway by the Federal Government. But it's understandable that all the "Tax Payer" Funded advertising has brainwashed you into believing otherwise.

Are you having some sort of difficulty reading your own data?

I'm seeing BC as having funded two thirds of the project, and getting things done in partnership with the feds is a common practice, one that believe it or not even the NDP engage in, so by what stretch of your imagination is that not a BC Liberal accomplishment?

Do you think the feds just throw a dart at a map and issue a check to the jurisdiction where it lands, or that perhaps it requires some cooperation and negotiation between the governments maybe?

It's almost laughable, if it weren't so sad, that you guys automatically discount anything that had multiple funding sources.

So by your metric, when the NDP built the Cancer Centre, they shouldn't get credit either, if a local service club paid for a bed and a bench eh?

It's actually quite pathetic that you have to resort to grasping that badly!
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Sorry that this is over your head. Just continue reading the "Tax Payer" funded Liberal propaganda and living in your blissful world. I bet you also believe that the BC government is personally and totally responsible for every single job in BC and that none would have been created if it weren't for the Liberals. That kind of thinking is what got us into this mess..

Speaking of which I haven't seen our photo-op princess in a hard hat and safety vest yet today, she must not be feeling too good after the debate last night.

If you have trouble understanding that some things happen in spite of government and not because of it, you might be a Liberal..
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think a true picture of the state of BC economy has to come not from the current regime or their political adversaries, but from comparison with other Canadian provinces.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

krocky wrote:

Speaking of which I haven't seen our photo-op princess in a hard hat and safety vest yet today, she must not be feeling too good after the debate last night.

LOL, you missed it she was on CHBC news @ 5pm exactly dressed as you suggested.
Catch her again at 6:30pm.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

And.....

Our experts say internal B.C. policies have less impact on our economy, than outside forces.

"(Provincial policies) have some influence, but it's a lot less than people I think tend to believe," said Finlayson.

"We had the Asian financial crisis in '97-'98, We had 9-11... and then of course we had the global financial crisis and crash in 2007…all of these things had quite a big impact on B.C., and none of them have anything to do with the government of British Columbia, or any politicians in B.C."

Bryan Yu of Central 1 credit union concurs.

"I think it's difficult to say it's really reflective of the politics or policies in place at the time. It's largely a macro-economic driven event.
"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4085394
Chill

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”