TD bank predicts NDP win

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

TD bank predicts NDP win

Post by maryjane48 »

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/b ... ice=mobile

even though they are stumping for clark ,they have accepted a ndp win in bc :130:
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Td bank predicts ndp win

Post by Urban Cowboy »

While the TD report calls the BC NDP a "strong front runner," it does not take into account the 2013 B.C. election when polls predicted an NDP win, but the Liberals eventually won a fourth consecutive majority government.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm guessing the TD bank hasn't factored in the NDP workers, who voted Liberal last time when Dix said no to the Kinder Morgan, nor to the possibility that those working at site "C", might be less than impressed with the sudden uncertainty of the project, if the NDP or the Greens win.

People like knowing they have money coming in to support their families.

Banks should also stick to banking, and be required to butt out of elections completely, as their meddling goes against democratic principles.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

So...how many Kinder Morgan jobs were produced?..zero.

How many Site C jobs? .a few short term and part time.

LNG-next to nothing.

What a way to run an economy!
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Just the possibility of an NDP win causes banks to start issuing warnings about investing in B.C. :200:
And this is only the beginning....
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I give the workers enough credit to know that projects like Kinder Morgan involve a lot of hoops to jump through, but there is a significant difference between knowing the work is coming, and knowing it has been shut down for good.

I would also imagine there are jobs that involve preparation for such a project, be it surveyors or whatever, so I'm going to speculate that your "zero" figure is as accurate as much of your other contributions.

As for site "C" there's over 2000 people working there now. The majority from BC and 41% from the Peace area.

Do you think they want to be sent home?

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — According to BC Hydro’s latest employment statistics, there are now more than 2,000 people employed in building the Site C dam.

The latest employment statistics show that there were 2,124 total workers on the Site C project in January 2017. 1,719 of those workers, or 81 percent, were from B.C. Of those total workers, 677 personnel on site that month, or 41 percent, were residents of the Peace River Regional District. Additional statistics also showed that:

There were 195 Aboriginal people, 257 women, and 42 apprentices employed by contractors on the Site C project site in January.

“I’m pleased to see that the construction of Site C is continuing to create good jobs for British Columbians,” said Bill Bennett, Minister of Energy and Mines. “There are now more than 2,000 workers on this project, with over 1,700 of those jobs going to British Columbians.”

https://energeticcity.ca/2017/03/2000-w ... ng-site-c/

FYI George, all construction jobs are temporary, lasting until the project completes. The biggest difference being that most construction projects don't last as many years as this dam.

I'm also fairly certain the project will require some permanent staff when finished, just as I'm certain there is a lot of spinoff work, as in companies supplying products for the dam, food, heavy equipment parts, steel, concrete, and so on.

Anyway I'd call it something a lot better than what you are portraying.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Apr 30th, 2017, 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: TD bank predicts NDP win

Post by Bsuds »

I don't trust the TD any more than I do the NDP.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:I don't trust the TD any more than I do the NDP.

Amen to that brother. They're about the crookedest bank in Canada.

That's saying a lot, considering they're all crooks.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The point is, we have shut down mills in this area,
Ignoring long term jobs in Forestry, while these men/women
Get short term menial construction jobs.

Way to go, B.C. Liberals!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

George+ wrote:The point is, we have shut down mills in this area,
Ignoring long term jobs in Forestry, while these men/women
Get short term menial construction jobs.

Way to go, B.C. Liberals!

Why don't you tell the medical staff working in the onsite medical clinic, and those with degrees in engineering, that they're just working menial jobs.

Having done it, I'd also challenge you to go and drive some of that heavy equipment, and we'll see just how menial it is, when they fire you after a day for lack of performance.

Things always seem easier from your armchair.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”